• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is MS Dhoni an ATG OdI batsmen?

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Both Bevan and Dhoni are ATG ODI batsmen and an argument on who among them is better is endless. In a ATG team, we go with Dhoni+Jayasuriya in the subcontinent and Gilchrist+Bevan outside.
I think that's fair actually, why would you ever have Dhoni ahead of Bevan in places like Aust & NZ.

An ODI SC ATG XI would look very different to a non-SC one.

Note: I'd almost be tempted to place to West Indies in with the SC in that respect.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
To me, when considering Jayasuriya Vs Gilly, I take into consideration how useful Sanath was as a bowler as well. As an overall package, I feel Jayasuriya + MSD gives you so much more than Bevan + Gilly. So its usually an easy choice for me. Perhaps I will get Bevan to replace MSD in certain conditions (maybe more bowler friendly) and let AB slip down the order to play the hitter role and have him keep wickets but otherwise my side is set in stone.

And honestly, big :laugh: at everyone who listed Ponting to bat at 3 above Viv.
Border is more of a lower order batsman anyway but I don't know what you're doing picking him in an ODI XI.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
I think that's fair actually, why would you ever have Dhoni ahead of Bevan in places like Aust & NZ.

An ODI SC ATG XI would look very different to a non-SC one.

Note: I'd almost be tempted to place to West Indies in with the SC in that respect.
Maybe because he averages 90 with a SR of 96 in NZ?

RK_123

School Boy/Girl Captain
Ten greatest odi batsmen of all time:

Viv
Sachin
Ponting
AB
Kohli
Bevan
Dhoni
Gilly
Jones
Abbas

Victor Ian

International Coach
I've always been critical of MSD but having just learned he is MusculoSkeleto Disorder I'm prepared to take it easier on him

OverratedSanity

Am I the only one who noticed that RK_123 said Dhoni isn't an ATG but then said that he's the 7 greatest batsman ever?

RK_123

School Boy/Girl Captain
Am I the only one who noticed that RK_123 said Dhoni isn't an ATG but then said that he's the 7 greatest batsman ever?
Where did I said he isnt an ATG? LoL.. Dont you understand difference between putting a question and making any statement?I asked if it would be fair to call Dhoni an ATG assuming all these things going against him??And since most people dont give much importance to overseas wins in odis a case can be made for him.

I did said already earlier that he would make it to top 10 greatest but I won't have him in top5 by any ifs and buts.I also posted in the thread where would you have him among greatest odi bat of all time?But seems like insecurity of Dhoni fans have made them too much judgemental here.Dont quote me if you are this insecure.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
1. Not Match winning. It was a typical good knock on a flat track.

2. Again, not match winning. Match was won due to the others batting fast. He almost lost the game for Aus, btw. And I watched the full game live.

3. Same as above.

4. The only real match winning knock, but lets take a look at the bowling he was against, shall we?

EDIT: And funny how there is nothing from Pak or SL there in the list as well. All countries and conditions, indeed. :laugh:
And palpably, SL and Pakistan had bowling attacks umpteen times superior to India in ODIs during late 90s and early 2000s. And the only knock of substance comes against NZ on an Indian pitch too.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
To me, when considering Jayasuriya Vs Gilly, I take into consideration how useful Sanath was as a bowler as well. As an overall package, I feel Jayasuriya + MSD gives you so much more than Bevan + Gilly. So its usually an easy choice for me. Perhaps I will get Bevan to replace MSD in certain conditions (maybe more bowler friendly) and let AB slip down the order to play the hitter role and have him keep wickets but otherwise my side is set in stone.

And honestly, big :laugh: at everyone who listed Ponting to bat at 3 above Viv.
Well, you have to consider the fielding prowess of Jaya too. Can't remeber dropping many catches, and was one of the quickest across the turf.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah there were times in the mid to late 90s in ODIs when SL will have the spinners on an d4 out of the 5 of Jayasuriya, Murali, Mahanama and I think it was Chandara and Kalpage/Tilekaratne who were all awesome fielders inside the ring. There was no such thing as an easy single for the batsmen. You had to play a good shot to even get a single. It gets underrated how important their fielding was to their success during this period. Of the SC sides, I think SL were the first to buy big into the fielding can win you games theory.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Yeah, it always seemed like Ind/Pak started the match at a 25 run and 1 wicket handicap, India has made up for it over time and are a good fielding side today, Pakistan seem to have regressed.

TheJediBrah

I know it's old news but Ganguly's comments about Dhoni not being good at T20s because he only has one 50 in 10 years are stupid af am i right?

He bats at no. 5 or 6 where you don't get many chances to make 50s, and averages 36 which is huge for T20s

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ganguly's given reason is debatable, and rightly so, but Dhoni really is nowhere near great in T20s. He's fine but there have been many better.