• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Average players who dominated great players

thierry henry

International Coach
Hardly counts but sticks in my mind....Scott Styris dismissed Ricky Ponting 3 times in ODIs within the space of 18 months (equal most times he dismissed anyone) and two of them were clean bowled, no inside edge or anything, with Ponting playing regulation shots during the middle overs of the innings. Both just normal seam up deliveries.

Remember thinking it was bizarre when it happened once and unbelievable when it happened twice since Styris' seam-up stuff was as straight-up-and-down as it got.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Richard Ellison of all people knocked over the great man a couple of times cheaply at the back end of the 85 Ashes series iirc.
John Bracewell, who was much better than his record (and crazy coaching!) suggests, dominated AB the following year.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Posters have definitely not gotten the spirit of the thread, I feel. There is a big difference between an average player dominating a great player and a lesser player dominating a better player. Cronje (as a bowler) Vs Sachin is the former, Flintoff Vs Gilchrist is the latter.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Ijaz Ahmed was very good against Mcgrath for a short time period.
Not for a short time either..had a phenomenal record against Australia - both 95 and 99 and those were his only two series in Australia.

I am tempted to say Salim Malik vs Warne but he was by an large considered a great player of spin anyway