• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank these players in tests formats?

RK_123

School Boy/Girl Captain
All of these players debuted around same time and are either retired or on their last legs.Who was the best of the lot in your views -

Graeme Smith
Kevin Pieterson
Michael Clarke
AB de Villiers
Hashim Amla
Alastair Cook

Discuss!

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1. Hashim Amla
2. AB de Villiers
3. Graeme Smith
4. Alastair Cook
5. Kevin Pietersen
6. Michael Clarke

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ability wise, him and KP are way ahead.But its about the end result that matters.
Sure, but it's not like AB's end result is worse than Smith's. Average of 50 in 106 tests and 21 centuries. Pretty good.

And I disagree about KP's ability.

Gob

International Coach
All of these players debuted around same time and are either retired or on their last legs.Who was the best of the lot in your views -

Graeme Smith
Kevin Pieterson
Michael Clarke
AB de Villiers
Hashim Amla
Alastair Cook

Discuss!
Amla
Clarke
KP
Smith
Cook
AB

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Smith
Clarke
Amla
AB
KP
Cook
Amla
KP
Smith
Clarke
Cook
AB
Amla
Smith
Cook
KP
AB
Clarke

AB ahead of Smith if you could explain?
I thought of this except AB and Cook exchanging places.
Sure, but it's not like AB's end result is worse than Smith's. Average of 50 in 106 tests and 21 centuries. Pretty good.

Amla
Clarke
KP
Smith
Cook
AB

Meanwhile at The Gold Coast, a lawyer's head explodes.

RK_123

School Boy/Girl Captain

Those stats are great but that has certainly helped by being in the stronger side. Not many good knocks as solo starrer for him.

KP I think had great ability with bat. He could play pace, swing and spin all very well and could take on the attack and win games on his own.He just wasn't consistent enough and I do regard lots of value to consistency.

SeamUp

International Coach
AB also had some crucial knocks under pressure.

vs India at Ahmedabad
vs England at Headingley
vs Australia at Wanderers
vs Australia at Perth

are just some earlier in his career that stand-out. The first two were arguably his test career platform test hundred innings.

Last edited:

RK_123

School Boy/Girl Captain
AB also had some crucial knocks under pressure.

vs India at Ahmedabad
vs England at Headingley
vs Australia at Wanderers
vs Australia at Perth

are just some earlier in his career that stand-out. The first two were arguably his test career platform test hundred innings.
Perhaps a test great and an Odi ATG..Doubt if any of the other names in the thread can be called ATG in tests either.

SeamUp

International Coach
Always find it tough to rate. But just feel AB possibly getting hard done by because so good in limited overs cricket.

Ahmedabad 2008 turning point for me: AB de Villiers | Cricbuzz.com

Virat Kohli has described him as "the finest batsman of his generation."Sir Vivian Richards told him, "You are changing the game...you are taking cricket to a new level. Keep going." Nothing seems impossible when AB de Villiers is on song. Statistics can never fully capture his majesty but one particular number is telling - the South African belongs to that select breed of batsmen who have a 50-plus average in both Tests and ODIs.
Which match or innings proved to be the turning point in your career and how?

The second Test against India in Ahmedabad in 2008 was a turning point. It wasn't just the score of 217 not out; it was the fact that, strange as it seems, for almost the first time, I felt able to defend properly and play a long innings for the team.

2nd Test: India v South Africa at Ahmedabad, Apr 3-5, 2008 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

SeamUp

International Coach
Perhaps a test great and an Odi ATG..Doubt if any of the other names in the thread can be called ATG in tests either.
Tough to say what defines ATG but I would certainly say all 6 are high up on the list.

After the Ponting, Sachin, Kallis, Lara, Sangakkara group - would we say they the next generation if we go in 5-year blocks for generations ? Do those 6 have better contemporaries ?

Gob

International Coach
De Villiers is among the top 3 greatest OD bats but I don't think he did justice to his abilities in tests. 21 test tons just not good enough for a man of his talent and pick and choosing what to play and what to not now doesn't help either.