• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best and worst days of cricket you've attended?

indiaholic

International Captain
Best was the Ahmedabad test against SA in 2008. Steyn :wub:

Worst was an IPL game.. SRH vs KKR. Some ****s had brought in vuvuzelas.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
When I went to the Ashes (1st day Chester-Le, 2013) it produced some dull stodgy cricket which is symptomatic of the Strauss/Cook era. I remember the wicket being uncharacteristically dead, and the England batsman being very conservative (this was the series Bell carried the batting). Wouldn't say it was 'worst' or 'bad' though; I mean it was a sunny day, the Ashes was on.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Seeing Rahane's ton at the MCG in 2014 was pretty special, he's one of the most elegant batsmen I've ever seen full stop. I was also at the Boxing Day Test in 2013 when KP famously held up play for a few minutes after swallowing a fly!

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
My first day at at Test match was the Saturday of the Old Trafford Test against West Indies in 1980
Remember it well. I wasn't there, but in those days on Test Match Special on Radio 3 you would get the commentators answering letters that people had sent in and it was often more entertaining than the cricket. (No instant communication in those days of course). I was on Bigbury Beach listening to it (yes it was raining there as well).

Shri

Mr. Glass
My very first ODI was the worst. Saeed Anwar hit 194 against us. Ganguly hit the back of his head on the ground while taking his catch in front of where we were sitting.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Best, definitely the 'day night' Test when England toured in 2002. Watching Lou V and McMillan slap it around in the dark while England fielders took evasive action was about the most fun I've ever had. Then returning the next day to see us win, about as good as it gets.

Worst, there've been a few.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Ironically enough, I think I felt the best and worst during the same game. That 2004 test against Australia, Day 4.. Going in, we all expected them to fold in a session or so and India to canter but Martyn batted like a God that series and Gilles-freaking-pie decided he will block everything. The first 2 sessions were the worst but then the last session was literally the time I could actually feel what everyone means when they talk about how players have to fight not just the bowlers, but the pressure from the close in fielders and the crowd, which can feel like a cauldron. This was the pre-renovated MAC stadium and it was literally a cauldron. I have mentioned earlier here in CW how I remarked to my cousin at how nervous Lehmann looked and I remember he walked out looking like he had no idea how he can survive and he came back just as fast. :p Best part was, that look had not left his face. :laugh:

Guess I was able to perceive it at a greater level as I was in the pavilion stand for that day. Warne was sitting a few feet away from me. And spoke to us chaps post game. Greatest experience of my cricket following life. And, of course, the rain from nowhere on Day 5. It was burning hot for 4 days before it. It was burning hot for the next 10 days. But for 6 hours from 8 AM the next day, the rain just HAD to come and destroy one of the best set up day 5s of all time. :@ :(
What I would have given to be at that day. Still remember listening to every ball practically eating the radio, so nervous. Think Sehwag may have destroyed us Day 5 so wasn't too upset by the rain.

Midwinter

State Captain
Was at the MCG and Greg Chappell got to 90 at 5pm, an hour to go to stumps

We, along with the rest of the crowd, said "we'll leave when he gets his hundred".

he was on 97or 98 at stumps,one of the longest hours of my life.

Heboric

International Debutant
Good

Hands down this one:

1st Test: South Africa v Australia at Cape Town, Nov 9-11, 2011 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

To see a comeback like that live was incredible, doubt will come close to seeing that again ever.

Bad

The only test loss i have attended was the first time Australia came to Newlands post isolation. We werent hammered but it was a loss. The bad memory of the game was the refusal by players like Warne and Hayden to give autographs to kids at the boundaries edge when they were fielding there. The crowd eventually started to heckle them.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good

Hands down this one:

1st Test: South Africa v Australia at Cape Town, Nov 9-11, 2011 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

To see a comeback like that live was incredible, doubt will come close to seeing that again ever.

Bad

The only test loss i have attended was the first time Australia came to Newlands post isolation. We werent hammered but it was a loss. The bad memory of the game was the refusal by players like Warne and Hayden to give autographs to kids at the boundaries edge when they were fielding there. The crowd eventually started to heckle them.
That's an incredible game to have witnessed. Very jealous. Clarke's knock in the first innings, being rolled out for 96, 47ao with that Haddin shot, and a Graeme Smith 4th innings special.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
What I would have given to be at that day. Still remember listening to every ball practically eating the radio, so nervous. Think Sehwag may have destroyed us Day 5 so wasn't too upset by the rain.

I just recalled that it was also the game Warney became the highest test match wicket taker, at that point. Got a HUGE standing ovation from the entire crowd too. They dont call us the most sporting crowd in India for nothing. :)

Kirkut

International Regular
I've attended my first ever game at a cricket stadium in the recent Ind vs Eng Mumbai test. I must say that the clean bowled dismissals you see at a stadium look nowhere as awesome compared to watching it on a tv where you get to see the ball hitting the stumps in slow motion and the sound of it captured through stump mikes. Also the boundaries look huge in tv compared to the actual size.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I've attended my first ever game at a cricket stadium in the recent Ind vs Eng Mumbai test. I must say that the clean bowled dismissals you see at a stadium look nowhere as awesome compared to watching it on a tv where you get to see the ball hitting the stumps in slow motion and the sound of it captured through stump mikes. Also the boundaries look huge in tv compared to the actual size.
The size of the 22 yards 'wicket-to-wicket' was what surprised me when I first started going, that and the distance between the (batsman's) stumps/bails and the wicketkeeper (during seam bowling): all appeared much larger distance wise than what is seen on camera.

Grumpy

U19 Vice-Captain
The only time I've been to see a live day of cricket was this past summer. The first day of the Old Trafford Test against Pakistan when Root and Cook dominated the day. One of the best days of my life.

I arrived at Manchester the day before and was pleasantly surprised to see sun as all week the predictions were that rain may affect the game. Anyway, I was really excited about the day ahead and starting going through the Internet for any build-up I could find on the match. I eventually ended up on the PCB Twitter feed where they had posted pics of the squad arriving at the hotel. The one thing to caught my eye was that the street they were staying at had a very noticeable clock tower. 10 minutes of Google search and street view later, I had discovered their location. I grabbed the notepad I had bought for any autographs I may get at the game, and set out.

The hotel lobby was empty except for the hotel staff. I was surprised that no one asked what I was doing there as I walked around aimlessly trying to find anyone. My first day of hope was seeing a quick glimpse of an elderly Pakistani man in an elevator who looked remarkably similar to Intikhab Alam. Great! Definitely at the right place atleast.

20 minutes of aimless wandering later, however, I had given up hope of meeting any of the players and decided to leave before the hotel staff call the police. As I walk back, I notice the hotel restaurant has glass transparent walls on one side. I take a quick glance and lo and behold there he is! Misbah Ul-Haq. He is involved in an animated discussion with 2 other men who I do not recognise.

This was just a few days after the Lords Test and Misbah was the toast of the cricket world at the time. I get my book, open my phone camera and stroll in. The waiters are in the restaurant entrance, and it's obvious no one is allowed in unless they are a paying customer. Quick glance at the prices and that is definitely not an option. The waiter eyes me suspiciously, and I start getting paranoid that he knows I'm an obsessed cricket stalker.

"No, forget it Grumpy. Cut your losses. You will see him tomorrow at the match. It's not worth going jail over."

"But what if I don't get a chance to meet him tomorrow? Thousands of spectators show up. I'm sure the players don't meet all of them. Wait, do they meet any? Oh ****, what am I going to do with this notepad? No, this is my chance. Go for it and get that autograph!"

I gathered all my balls and confidently walked to the waiter. I told him I wished to see the manager as I had a complaint to make. The waiter told me to wait there as he left to get him. This was my chance! I walked into the restaurant, strolled up to Misbah, interrupted him mid-conversation, introduced myself, shook his hand, congratulated him on the Lords performance, told him I would be at OT, asked him for his autograph, posed for a selfie, apologised for the intrusion, thanked him and bid him and his companions farewell.

All in the space of what must have been 2-3 minutes as the manager still hasn't showed up by the time I left.

The day of the cricket was fantastic. I was the first to reach the ground, so had the time and access to explore the ground as hardly anyone else was there. Met the other heroes of Lords as I caught Yasir just as he was strolling to the ground for practice and Woakes as he was leaving the nets after practice.

I also managed to find the discreet little gate the Sky team used to enter the ground from the their studio, so got selfies and autographs from the whole crew. Surprisingly, the most arrogant and up himself seemed to Ian Ward and not Shane Warne.

The one regret I have is that, after waiting patiently at the side of the ground after the day's play as Cook and Root did their post day interview with Mark Nicholas, all I got from them was a little wave except a mini coversation, a selfie, and signatures in my now already quite filled note-book.
Hmph!

Grumpy

U19 Vice-Captain
That was a great week all round tbh. I had to travel a few days later because of work, and I ran into Imran Khan at the airport. Very surreal. Didn't have the notepad at the time, but did manage a selfie and a 5 minute convo about the match. He was annoyed at the Pakistani collpase, and was critical of Cook not enforcing the follow-on. Didn't have the balls to disagree with him so just nodded my head in agreement ha!