• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

the best at going big- a little system to work out the best at getting big daddy 100s

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
so this doesnt take into accounts conversaion rates or frequency or whatever. its just about who could notch up the biggest numbers overall, over an entire career.

its simple - get a player's 7 highest test scores then find the mean number. not outs dont matter here. this mean score is a player's big daddy rating.

i went with 7 because 5 seems like it could allow for flukes to sneak a good rating, where 10 seems like it'd be unfair on the earlier era players who had less tests to play. as it stands it still very much favoured the later era players

a few to start off

Big Daddy ratings

Bradman - 292.2 (254, 334, 299, 304, 244, 270, 234)
Lara - 275.4
Sanga 254.4
Sehwag - 250.1
Hammond - 223.1
Ponting - 219.9
Sachin - 216.9
Attapattu - 211.7

now Jack Hobbs - 174

now Mark Waugh - 136.2

kingkallis

International Coach
Smith 216.1
Hutton 215.2
Amla 214.8
Sobers 207.2
Hayden 198
Richards 197.4
de Villiers 191.4
Kallis 186.8

Spark

Global Moderator
Won't it just be easier to pool all their 100+ scores and average it out?
Yeah, this is way more fair for obvious reasons. You're always going to get an enormous bias towards modern-day players the way it's currently set up.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Best way to do this would be to calculate something like a Gini coefficient for all batsmen i.e. a single number to represent the distribution of their career scores.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
so this doesnt take into accounts conversaion rates or frequency or whatever. its just about who could notch up the biggest numbers overall, over an entire career.

its simple - get a player's 7 highest test scores then find the mean number. not outs dont matter here. this mean score is a player's big daddy rating.

i went with 7 because 5 seems like it could allow for flukes to sneak a good rating, where 10 seems like it'd be unfair on the earlier era players who had less tests to play. as it stands it still very much favoured the later era players

a few to start off

Big Daddy ratings

Bradman - 292.2 (254, 334, 299, 304, 244, 270, 234)
Lara - 275.4
Sanga 254.4
Sehwag - 250.1
Hammond - 223.1
Ponting - 219.9
Sachin - 216.9
Attapattu - 211.7

now Jack Hobbs - 174

now Mark Waugh - 136.2

now Younis Khan 230 (313, 267, 218, 213, 200, 200, 199)

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Need more to it than just a score, have to take into account the opposition, pitch, series score etc...

Lara's is huge but he got his 2 highest scores on motorways in dead rubbers.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah but thought the OP was clear what this thread is about - biggest daddy hundreds period. This is not a Official Tendulkar vs Lara vs Ponting licensed whorehouse

Spark

Global Moderator
Best way to do this would be to calculate something like a Gini coefficient for all batsmen i.e. a single number to represent the distribution of their career scores.
I did something like this (not really a Gini coefficient, though) a while back.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
How did you get 292.2 for Bradman? It should be 277.

Elgar just hit his 7th ton and his big daddy rating is 120.1

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah but thought the OP was clear what this thread is about - biggest daddy hundreds period. This is not a Official Tendulkar vs Lara vs Ponting licensed whorehouse
If it's just big daddy hundreds, period. Just list who scored the most of them. (Tendulkar the better batsman by the way.)

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes it is but OP says 7 and specifically states that 5 could allow for flukes. Is mister suggestion Bradman was flukey? :)

no that's a mistake i forgot to fix up. originally i was gonna have it be top 5 scores but then wanted to tinker with it further. never correctly adjusted Bradman's big daddy rating

and yeah the system could use some tweaking for sure.