• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

10 Greatest fast bowlers of all time

Gob

International Coach
That's a very common opinion held in sub-continent. Do a poll and majority will vote for Akram as the greatest fast bowler ever. I am told I am an idiot who only looks at stats for saying Marshall was better than Akram.
Wasim would barely make in to my top 10

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's a very common opinion held in sub-continent. Do a poll and majority will vote for Akram as the greatest fast bowler ever. I am told I am an idiot who only looks at stats for saying Marshall was better than Akram.
Thats more to do with most subcontinent fans caring more about odi cricket than tests. It's the opposite on CW.

Not saying it's crazy to rate Wasim higher, obviously, but SC fans rate him highly primarily because of his odi exploits. Think this applies to Tendulkar as well.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I am a huge Akram fan, but the thing about Marshall was his ability to perform in any conditions against any opponents.

Marshall outperformed most SC quicks in the SC. Phenomenal bowler. The only two modern quicks who have near flawless records with completed careers are Marshall and McGrath, which is why I put them and one and two.

Steyn?

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
Marshall
Akram
McGrath
Ambrose
Hadlee
Holding
Steyn
Imran
Lillee
Trueman

Leaving out the early years pioneers like Spofforth and Barnesy

watson

Banned
01. Malcolm Marshall
02. Dennis Lillee
03. Imran Khan
04. Richard Hadlee
05. Curtly Ambrose
06. Fred Trueman
07. Glenn McGrath
08. Ray Lindwall
09. Fred Spofforth
10. Wasim Akram

Would like to have included Harold Larwood, Alan Davidson, Neil Advock, John Snow, Andy Roberts, Allan Donald, Dale Steyn.......

Pre WWII
01. Fred Spofforth
02. Harold Larwood
03. Tom Richardson
04. Jack Gregory
05. Ted McDonald
06. Bill Lockwood
07. Learie Constantine
08. Ernie Jones
09. Albert Cotter
10. Bill Voce

I don't think that Lohmann, Turner, Ferris, Barnes, Tate, or Bedser were quick enough to be considered 'fast bowlers'. Spofforth is debatable, but was probably rapid enough earlier in his career.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Steyn doesn't get enough credit for bowling to far better batting lineups than the 80s bowlers did. In Steyn's time, India, Sri Lanka, England, Australia, NZ, Pakistan, have all had far superior batting lineups than in Marshall's era.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Where? CW? Akram is considered second tier on this forum. This is probably the only forum where he is rated the lowest.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Thats more to do with most subcontinent fans caring more about odi cricket than tests. It's the opposite on CW.

Not saying it's crazy to rate Wasim higher, obviously, but SC fans rate him highly primarily because of his odi exploits. Think this applies to Tendulkar as well.
It's also for the crazy swing and yorkers.

Slifer

International Captain
Steyn doesn't get enough credit for bowling to far better batting lineups than the 80s bowlers did. In Steyn's time, India, Sri Lanka, England, Australia, NZ, Pakistan, have all had far superior batting lineups than in Marshall's era.
Dale Steyn is definitely up there with likes of Marshall and Mcgrath but the batting lineups Steyn has bowled to are not far superior to their 80s counterparts. In the 80s and even the 90s there were a plethora of great fast bowlers to keep the batsmen in check hence why in the 80s and 90s there were literally only a handful of batsmen that averaged 50+. In Dale's time he's literally the only great fast bowler going around.

I might get torn a new one for this pov but it is what it is.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
of the players i have seen, in no particular order:

andy roberts
malcolm marshall
michael holding
glenn mcgrath
dennis lillee
imran khan
wasim akram
richard hadlee
allan donald
shaun pollock

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Dale Steyn is definitely up there with likes of Marshall and Mcgrath but the batting lineups Steyn has bowled to are not far superior to their 80s counterparts. In the 80s and even the 90s there were a plethora of great fast bowlers to keep the batsmen in check hence why in the 80s and 90s there were literally only a handful of batsmen that averaged 50+. In Dale's time he's literally the only great fast bowler going around.

I might get torn a new one for this pov but it is what it is
I'd be surprised if you aren't. Batsmen don't get credit because they play on roads. And now bowlers won't get credit because the batsmen aren't good enough!

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think many Aussies don't rate Akram all that highly because he had limited success against us. He was a fine bowler and an ATG but he never really ran through us like Marshall or Ambrose did on a regular basis.

stephen

It was Waqar who had the horrible record against us. Wasim averaged 30 against England and South Africa which isn't ideal but you can pick holes in any bowler's record.

the big bambino

International Captain
Even then its relative. Waqar's ave against Aus was 33 which is much higher than his overall ave but not so bad when you think of the strength of Australian batting in his time.

stephen

Even then its relative. Waqar's ave against Aus was 33 which is much higher than his overall ave but not so bad when you think of the strength of Australian batting in his time.
It was 40 in Australia which is pretty bad though. Probably part of the reason Pakistan could never beat us.

subshakerz

International Coach
I think many Aussies don't rate Akram all that highly because he had limited success against us. He was a fine bowler and an ATG but he never really ran through us like Marshall or Ambrose did on a regular basis.
Not completely true. Akram had three good test series against Australia in Australia (1990 and 1995) and in Pakistan (1994) which sort of solidified his high peer rating among the Aussie cricketers of that generation. Akram never ran through the Aussie side though the way Marshall and Ambrose did, but he was consistently difficult/awkward enough that it commanded their respect.

Off the top of my head, McGrath, Ponting, Gillespie, Slater, Mark Taylor, and Langer all rated Akram as best or joint best, while Warne and Hayden put him behind Ambrose.