• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

10 Greatest fast bowlers of all time

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Been fortunate to see some cracking fast bowlers live. In no particular order:

Lillee
Thomson
Ambrose
Marshall
Holding
Garner
Roberts
Croft
Hadlee
Bishop
Walsh
Wasim
Waqar
McGrath
Imran
McDermott
Hughes
Donald
Pollock
Lawson
Gillespie
Harris
Johnson

Not all of hem are great, but they've all provided some great entertainment from time to time. Lee deliberately excluded, Zaheer as well.
Burgey, have you deliberately excluded Steyn as well, or is it a mistake?

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
1. Lakshmipathy Balaji
2. Ajit Bhalchandra Agarkar, the pride of Mumbai, the terminator at Adelaide
3. Jaidev Unadkat
4. Tinu Yohannan
5. Abey Kuruvilla
6. David Johnson
7. Dodda Ganesh
8. VRV Singh
9. Debashish Mohanty
10.Paras Mhambrey
Glad I brought attention to Dodda Ganesh on CW.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
List your top 10 (Test cricket) :thumbup1:
From the era that I am familiar with so 70s onwards (No I did not watch cricket in the 70s..I'm not as old as Burgey but that's as far back as I have gone so far in my cricket history readings)

Marshall
Holding
Lillee
Imran
Hadlee
Wasim
Waqar
Donald
McGrath
Steyn

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
CAnt believe I missed Shoaib and Rhyno from my list and Bruce Reid too. He was awesome.

Ambrose
Steyn
McGrath
Wasim
Waqar
Shoaib
Donald
Pollock
McDermott
Harris

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
**** I missed Ambrose in my list. I knew I was missing someone.

So this is going to be a purely subjective and baised decision. My least favourite bowler from that list has to sit out.

Marshall
Holding
Lillee
Imran
Hadlee
Wasim
Waqar
Donald
Ambrose
Steyn

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
CAnt believe I missed Shoaib and Rhyno from my list and Bruce Reid too. He was awesome.

Ambrose
Steyn
McGrath
Wasim
Waqar
Shoaib
Donald
Pollock
McDermott
Harris
Are you really gonna put Shoaib and Harris there? I mean don't get me wrong I love Shoaib but he didn't really have the career he should have had..and same goes for Harris

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
That does not mean they were not awesome for a decent number of test matches. They played match turning roles over a number of matches and series. And come on, how many bowlers could have dismissed Dravid and SAchin in back to back deliveries? :)

BTW, the last list I did I had Malco and Imran but I really only caught their last few games in the early 90s and while Marshall was still pretty good, Imran as a bowler was pretty much done and dusted by that point. Hence I had him even below WAsim but now looking back, I felt its unfair and its easier to just remove them from my list as I never really saw them at their best.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
With Bond it depends how much weighting one places on longevity. Apart from his lack of game-time, he had every other base covered against virtually anyone in either Test or ODIs. Especially his SRs.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Both Harris and Bond suffered from injuries, but Bond would've had a great career if not for them. Not sure you can say the same for Harris. He was the ultimate late bloomer while Bond was amazing pretty much from the beginning.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
On Bruce Reid, I truly think he would have been an ATG had he had a full career. Those in-swinging yorkers were nigh on unplayable when he was on song.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
For what reasons?
That's a very common opinion held in sub-continent. Do a poll and majority will vote for Akram as the greatest fast bowler ever. I am told I am an idiot who only looks at stats for saying Marshall was better than Akram.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
That's a very common opinion held in sub-continent. Do a poll and majority will vote for Akram as the greatest fast bowler ever. I am told I am an idiot who only looks at stats for saying Marshall was better than Akram.
I am a huge Akram fan, but the thing about Marshall was his ability to perform in any conditions against any opponents.

Marshall outperformed most SC quicks in the SC. Phenomenal bowler. The only two modern quicks who have near flawless records with completed careers are Marshall and McGrath, which is why I put them and one and two.