• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How would you rate Kumar Sangakkara?

Where would you place him in a list of ATG cricketers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The poll needed another option for outside the Top 50. Not necessarily saying he is, but the option should be available.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
A truly great player. I don't rank him quite as highly as Tendulkar, but he's equal to or above very other batsman of his generation. He was also my favourite batsman to watch ever (although my adoration of his aesthetics was put to the test when he cracked a 200 against us at the Basin a couple years ago).

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Still remains a highlight that I got to watch him bat live twice. He's a special cricketer for the ages.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No he won't

I know of a great opportunity for you to rectify that...
lets make a bet that he'l end up with better stats than Kumar

you might still argue against me on the back of aesethic reasons or something like that but looks dont matter to me

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think he's the second best left hander since TOTAB, behind only Lara.

TOTAB being the benchmark for all left handers, I'd say Sanga is about 3/4 of a Border, Lara about 7/8 of a Border.

High praise indeed.

cnerd123

likes this
Are you getting paid for this shameless promotion? :laugh:
Mate, this tournament -the premier T20 league of the Associate world- with its star studded list of players, passionate fans, and superb organisation, doesn't need me to promote it. It sells itself.

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
I would say he will fall inside a top 15 of ATG batsmen. Maybe even a top 10 if generous.

But if we are looking at ATG cricketers he might just be outside the top 15 and in the 20-25 bracket for mine.

That is purely because he did not apply himself as he could have though. His dad's words. Not mine.

Burgey

Bradman
Hobbs
Hammond
Hutton
Sobers
Lara
Tendulkar
Border (obvs)
Pollock
IVA Richards
Gavaskar
Headley
G Chappell
Ponting

are blokes I'd put ahead of him, albeit some narrowly, without going back to pre-WWI guys like Trumper etc. So he's in elite company. Think he's better than Kallis, though the big Saffa was a far more effective cure for insomnia. Kumar a terrible BBL player though.

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
Bradman
Hobbs
Hammond
Hutton
Sobers
Lara
Tendulkar
Border (obvs)
Pollock
IVA Richards
Gavaskar
Headley
G Chappell
Ponting

are blokes I'd put ahead of him, albeit some narrowly, without going back to pre-WWI guys like Trumper etc. So he's in elite company. Think he's better than Kallis, though the big Saffa was a far more effective cure for insomnia. Kumar a terrible BBL player though.
Good list. S Waugh might be another who is just ahead of him given the attacks he faced and how valuable a player he was. 57 average from 93-04 considering the bowling that was around is pretty nifty. What about any of the 3W's?

So if we go by this and add the great bowler + AR's it most certainly pushes Sanga back a bit I think in a ATG cricketers list - possibly into the 20-30 bracket.

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
He is probably SL's best looking cricketer though - albeit with a classical look

Kumar S
Sidath W
..can't really think who'd be third. If anyone suggests any of the metro-***ual Kapugedara's and Thirimanne's we will have to have words.

Burgey

I thought about the 3Ws, but I've read a couple of articles about Weekes which have made me question his record a little (said without disparaging any of them). Someone like a Conrad Hunte or Rohan Kanhai might be worth a look as well. Kanhai was desperately unlucky to be around at the same time as Sobers, else I think he would be regarded even higher than he is these days.

I still think Sanga is in the top 15-20 odd when I think about it, it's all so subjective when you get around the margins of these things. Great player. Really loved watching him.

Burgey

He is probably SL's best looking cricketer though - albeit with a classical look

Kumar S
Sidath W
..can't really think who'd be third. If anyone suggests any of the metro-***ual Kapugedara's and Thirimanne's we will have to have words.
What about he homogenised look of half the current Indian side? FMD it's the Clone Wars out there.

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
What about he homogenised look of half the current Indian side? FMD it's the Clone Wars out there.
At least Ishant's gone for a look all to himself. Different, but obviously not in the realm of "good".

Those faces he pulled v Smith are likely to be GIF material for years to come.