• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Bangladesh in Sri Lanka 2017

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 02, Thu - Mar 03, Fri Sri Lanka Board Presidents XI vs Bangladesh, 2-day practice match
Tyronne Fernando Stadium, Moratuwa
Match drawn10:30 AM
04:30 AM GMT / 10:00 AM LOCAL

Mar 07, Tue - Mar 11, Sat Sri Lanka vs Bangladesh, 1st Test
Galle International Stadium, Galle
10:30 AM

Mar 15, Wed - Mar 19, Sun Sri Lanka vs Bangladesh, 2nd Test
P Sara Oval, Colombo

Mar 22, Wed TBC vs Bangladesh, One-day practice match
TBC, TBC

Mar 25, Sat Sri Lanka vs Bangladesh, 1st ODI
Rangiri Dambulla International Stadium, Dambulla
3:00 PM
09:00 AM GMT / 02:30 PM LOCAL

Mar 28, Tue Sri Lanka vs Bangladesh, 2nd ODI
Rangiri Dambulla International Stadium, Dambulla
3:00 PM
09:00 AM GMT / 02:30 PM LOCAL

Apr 01, Sat Sri Lanka vs Bangladesh, 3rd ODI
Sinhalese Sports Club, Colombo
10:00 AM
04:00 AM GMT / 09:30 AM LOCAL

Apr 04, Tue Sri Lanka vs Bangladesh, 1st T20I
R.Premadasa Stadium, Colombo
7:30 PM
01:30 PM GMT / 07:00 PM LOCAL

Apr 06, Thu Sri Lanka vs Bangladesh, 2nd T20I
R.Premadasa Stadium, Colombo
7:30 PM
01:30 PM GMT / 07:00 PM LOCAL

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
Hard to predict this series. Sri Lanka are favourites. It's good to have the Fizz return to the side again in full-flow to. It depends on what the pitch is like though. Ideally, I prefer a spinning pitch as it will give both sides a stiff of a chance to claim victory. Herath is clearly the best spinner between the sides. Fizz is the best fast bowler between the sides; however, Sri Lanka fast bowlers are still pretty good. Their newer batsman are actually good. I remember when Australia toured last year, and some of their new batsman produced match winning innings though the series was close. My XI will be Tamim, Sarker, Mominul, Mushfiqur, Mahmudullah, Shakib, Liton, Mehedi, Roy, Taskin and Fizz. I have been disappointed with Mehedi ever since the England series, but it's a learning curve for him. I actually prefer Imrul over Sarker as Sarker just doesn't have the ability to execute his skills. Having Imrul means we have no choice, but to include Shabbir as we'll be light on quality fielding. Our middle order looks strong.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Hard to predict this series. Sri Lanka are favourites. It's good to have the Fizz return to the side again in full-flow to. It depends on what the pitch is like though. Ideally, I prefer a spinning pitch as it will give both sides a stiff of a chance to claim victory. Herath is clearly the best spinner between the sides. Fizz is the best fast bowler between the sides; however, Sri Lanka fast bowlers are still pretty good. Their newer batsman are actually good. I remember when Australia toured last year, and some of their new batsman produced match winning innings though the series was close. My XI will be Tamim, Sarker, Mominul, Mushfiqur, Mahmudullah, Shakib, Liton, Mehedi, Roy, Taskin and Fizz. I have been disappointed with Mehedi ever since the England series, but it's a learning curve for him. I actually prefer Imrul over Sarker as Sarker just doesn't have the ability to execute his skills. Having Imrul means we have no choice, but to include Shabbir as we'll be light on quality fielding. Our middle order looks strong.
I would like Taijul in place of Roy. Roy is a liability. Not consistent enough to play at this level.

Finally Mushfiq is forced to give up gloves which is a good sign. No. 4 is also ideal place for him.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Good to see that SL has included Dickwella and Gunaratne. Both batsman are a little loose from what I've seen, but they have a high upside if they can translate their white ball form into Test Cricket. I also like the idea of having a positive opener (in Dickwella) batting with Karunaratne. I always felt like the previous pair were too similar and on the odd occasion that they didn't lose an early wicket, they never took the game away from the opposition.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If this was in Bangladesh I'd like their hopes here, as it is Sri Lanka should be favourites.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Nice to see chandimal back into the runs again with a lovely 190* against the Bangladeshis in the warm up game.

cnerd123

likes this
I like Mushy as a pure bat

BD in with a genuine shot at winning an away test, but SL might have too much talent for them. Herath, Chandimal, Mathews...

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Considering its at home I reckon Kusal Mendis and Chandimal will do well. You can't dismiss Bangladesh as minnows anymore, they are a decent side but I would like to think we would win this one..

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Considering its at home I reckon Kusal Mendis and Chandimal will do well. You can't dismiss Bangladesh as minnows anymore, they are a decent side but I would like to think we would win this one..
Yeah SL is favorite. I would like to see us giving SL run for their money. BD is in a stage now that the players and fans can not and should not be satisfied with only 'oh we played well but lost'. I see this tour as a golden opportunity for us. Hope they dont bottle this.

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
The Battle Royale of the year. SL will be desperate for a win in the Tests here. Their side just has so many issues right now.

BD really needs to see this is one of their biggest opportunities to get a test series win under their belt. SL are primed for a loss, and are certainly not in any form that would suggest they would dominate the series like they did v Aus last year following a terrible tour to England.

I hope SL give young Ron Chandragupta a shot at opening - following his excellent FC season - but with Dimuth K getting a ton it all but seems likely that the Silva-Karunaratne combo will continue.

Big series for K Mendis, D De Silva to prove the hype they built up last year. For Chandimal - it is a chance to get back into the fold after a terrible SA tour.

Hoping to see Lakmal continue to do well at home - given that quicks have surprisingly had an excellent shot at wickets in SL in the last few years just as much as Herath.

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
Sri Lanka haven't lost a test match at home for a long while now, so a draw will be an achievement for Bangladesh. Most likely the pitch will produce yet another result in Sri Lanka, so toss will be crucial for both sides. It will be close, but I'm still expecting Sri Lanka to win this 2-0. ODIs are a different story, but Sri Lanka are by far the superior test side. Sri Lanka's batting line-up despite the retirements of their 3 best batsman is still much stronger than Bangladesh. Chandimal is just as good as Mushfiqur. Tharanga has more of a flare than Tamim. We all saw how Mendis performed against Australia last year. Bowling attack isn't a problem for Bangladesh, or even batting. The problem is Mushfiqur's captaincy and poor fielding standards. You can be sure Bangladesh will continue to drop more catches during this test series. Sri Lanka don't drop catches that often. Herath will be too much for our batsman even for Mushfiqur.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Sri Lanka haven't lost a test match at home for a long while now, so a draw will be an achievement for Bangladesh. Most likely the pitch will produce yet another result in Sri Lanka, so toss will be crucial for both sides. It will be close, but I'm still expecting Sri Lanka to win this 2-0. ODIs are a different story, but Sri Lanka are by far the superior test side. Sri Lanka's batting line-up despite the retirements of their 3 best batsman is still much stronger than Bangladesh. Chandimal is just as good as Mushfiqur. Tharanga has more of a flare than Tamim. We all saw how Mendis performed against Australia last year. Bowling attack isn't a problem for Bangladesh, or even batting. The problem is Mushfiqur's captaincy and poor fielding standards. You can be sure Bangladesh will continue to drop more catches during this test series. Sri Lanka don't drop catches that often. Herath will be too much for our batsman even for Mushfiqur.
Agree with this

Burner

International Regular
This could turn out to be pretty feisty. The matches could o either way imo. Maybe SL slight favourites but having seen what Bangladesh perform recently, they have a chance. Herath a big factor though, a lot will depend on how Bangladesh batsmen do against him.

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
This is not really true of the current side though. In fact even Graham Ford the coach has recently come out and said this is a big issue - and one that needs fixing at grassroots level. SL have been dropping chances - at least 2 - in pretty much every game they played in recent times. Their ground fielding has been incredibly poor. One of the reasons is fitness - our guy's are just not fit enough - when compared to the elite level fitness other sides have.

I agree the SL side on paper is a superior Test side, but they have a lot of issues with their batting - that can be exploited by BD. Starting with the openers. But as this is at home - they are certainly fav's going in. Re: Chandimal, he had a terrible tour of SA, although before that he had a good run. Problem with him is lack of consistency and shot selection. That is is why I said earlier this is a chance for him to get back into the fold - at home - against relatively easier opposition. It is also a big tour for Mendis - who is getting starts and then throwing them away. Hopefully something that is rectified with experience and on a tour like this.

I have a terrible feeling Mehedi will trouble all our batsmen who have been very average against spinners in the last 5 years.

Last edited:

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Really hoping that they dont drop Taijul here. Going by Mushfiq's comments about the pitch that its on the greener side and how its going to help fast bowlers in first couple of days, I am really worried that they might play Rabbi/Roy instead of Taijul.

cnerd123

likes this
Really hoping that they dont drop Taijul here. Going by Mushfiq's comments about the pitch that its on the greener side and how its going to help fast bowlers in first couple of days, I am really worried that they might play Rabbi/Roy instead of Taijul.
lmao its like they're copying India by trying to act as tho the pace attack is actually good and trying to be all #intent