• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Bangladesh in Sri Lanka 2017

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fatty is now the most successful left arm spinner in terms of wickets taken. WAG. Hopefully he bounces past Bhajj soon.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Congrats to rangana on becoming the highest wicket taking left arm spinner in tests ever after just going ahead of vettori with that last wicket. Shows his class..

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Well done to SL on a fairly comfortable victory. Bangladesh pushed us hard at some stages of the game but you just can't keep Herath out of the test. Six fer here and going to of the list for left arm spinner wickets in tests, Brilliant. Enjoy the victory boys!

SeamUp

International Coach
I like the look of that SRL team in SRL conditions. Possibly consider bringing in Dhananjaya de Silva if he gets back to what he showed before and possibly open with him. Obviously the skipper too.

Bangers left too much of a deficit on first innings and if SRL/WIN are supposedly far off the other 6 in test cricket, it makes you wonder how close the Bangers are ?

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Congrats to SL and Herath. Thoroughly outplayed. There are so many problems with BD team. No idea what to do with them. They dont lack anything. Starting from pays to facilities you name it.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
They are intimidated by Sri Lanka. Just like we were intimidated by India other than for a brief period between 97-2002 when Jaya and Aravinda were running hot. That was the norm with Pakistan as well, till Jaya, Aravinga and Sanga started taking their bowling apart, but that was also for about a decade.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Congrats to SL and Herath. Thoroughly outplayed. There are so many problems with BD team. No idea what to do with them. They dont lack anything. Starting from pays to facilities you name it.
They're still really poor away from home aren't they, but at least competitive in their own backyard.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
They're still really poor away from home aren't they, but at least competitive in their own backyard.
yes agree but then again, which team is good away from home these days? Don't get me wrong I am not making excuses we are hopeless away from home..

Bahseph

State Captain
I've found Gunartne to be quite impressive. He looked like abit of a hack during the first part of the SA LO games but he might be a very good addition to this SL team across all formats at home. His cutters actually come into play and he could take the fifth/sixth bowlers role from Mathews who really needs to let that part of his game go. His bowling isn't incisive enough especially with regards to his injury record.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I hereby declare fatty to be the GOAT left-arm Test bowler (yes, better than Akram).
Haha I just checked in cricrate and as I guessed, Herath is ranked ahead of Wasim. You should at least SOMETIMES try to make some posts in cw which are not direct references to cricrate.

lol

viriya

International Captain
Haha I just checked in cricrate and as I guessed, Herath is ranked ahead of Wasim. You should at least SOMETIMES try to make some posts in cw which are not direct references to cricrate.

lol
Sometimes I agree with cricrate, sometimes I don't (I don't think Chanderpaul is a top 10 all-time Test batsman for example). He was the highest rated left-arm Test bowler a couple of series ago on cricrate.

I think it's quite logical to pick Herath over Wasim in Tests tbh.

SeamUp

International Coach
I've found Gunartne to be quite impressive. He looked like abit of a hack during the first part of the SA LO games but he might be a very good addition to this SL team across all formats at home. His cutters actually come into play and he could take the fifth/sixth bowlers role from Mathews who really needs to let that part of his game go. His bowling isn't incisive enough especially with regards to his injury record.
Who does Mathews come back in for ?

If they keep 3 spinners - 2 seamers bowling option then either Chandimal or Gunaratne has to go.

Still like Dhananjaya who I hope gets back to his best. Would open with him.

Last edited:

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
Sri Lanka cricket team are known for their intelligence, and it showed in this test match. Bangladesh just can't win away from home. Even at home, they struggle to win away from Mirpur. They're a poor Cricket side for a reason. They may have brilliant individual performers in Mushfiqur, Shakib and Fizz, but all the other players are not of International standard. Even someone such as Tamim Iqbal will struggle to make it into the A side of India. I would actually rest both Taskin and Fizz for the 2nd test due to work load. We need them for the limited overs freshly. Interestingly, Herath has been playing Cricket since 99. He definitely has been under the shadow of Murali. I don't understand why both couldn't bowl together. It's the same with Australia. They had Warne, but there was also another excellent spinner called Stuart McGill. Again, both should have bowled together. I'm expecting Sri Lanka to win the 2nd test. Mushfiqur's captaincy is one of the worst I have seen in recent times. Get rid of him as captain otherwise the thrashings will remain.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Sometimes I agree with cricrate, sometimes I don't (I don't think Chanderpaul is a top 10 all-time Test batsman for example). He was the highest rated left-arm Test bowler a couple of series ago on cricrate.

I think it's quite logical to pick Herath over Wasim in Tests tbh.
It's such a weird comparison. It depends on the team and conditions. Most teams will benefit more from a Wasim than a Herath in most conditions.

viriya

International Captain
It's such a weird comparison. It depends on the team and conditions. Most teams will benefit more from a Wasim than a Herath in most conditions.
Herath will win you more Test matches than Akram if the distribution of matches is even between subcontinent and non-subcontinent conditions.

He has the most 5-wicket hauls in the 4th innings all-time (10, 2nd most is 7) - definition of a match-winner.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Herath will win you more Test matches than Akram if the distribution of matches is even between subcontinent and non-subcontinent conditions.
Interesting that you think Herath is so much better in the subcontinent - (I know averages don't tell the full story but) Wasim averages 22.5 in subcontinent compared to Herath's 25.6.

I also think it's an unfair comparison at present - we've seen the full career of Wasim, but we are yet to see the end-career slump of Herath which should come soon

Last edited:

viriya

International Captain
Interesting that you think Herath is so much better in the subcontinent - (I know averages don't tell the full story but) Wasim averages 22.5 in subcontinent compared to Herath's 25.6.

I also think it's an unfair comparison at present - we've seen the full career of Wasim, but we are yet to see the end-career slump of Herath which should come soon
You know that using averages to compare a fast bowler with a spinner is disingenuous. Herath gets 2 more wickets per match in the subcontinent which is much more significant than the fact that those wickets cost 3 more runs each.

Also he is already 39 - unless he goes on till 45 there is no extended career ending slump that will change his numbers.

Last edited: