• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Flintoff Overrated?

Is Flintoff Overrated?

• Yes

Votes: 39 43.3%
  • No

Votes: 49 54.4%
  • Don't No

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
So you think he is so good he can average 50-60 while playing the shots he plays and scoring at the pace he tends to score for the rest of his career?
In spite of the fact that no-one, except Bradman, has come close to doing so?

why not?theres a certain adam gilchrist who averages 52 with an even higher SR!

Tom Halsey

International Coach
So you're opinion has changed too then?

Seems strange to see how many people's opinion has changed, when Marc (and me, possibly others - can't remember) have been saying it for a while.

Swervy

International Captain
Tom Halsey said:

Seems strange to see how many people's opinion has changed, when Marc (and me, possibly others - can't remember) have been saying it for a while.
i dont really think you can judge that his opinion has changed from that one post...all he said was that there is no reason why a player of exceptional talent cant average over 50 whilst playing aggressive cricket and scoring at a high rate.

i dont think half as many people have altered their opinion on Flintoff as tey have on Harmison...

anyway, nothing wrong with changing ones opinion, sign of open minded intelligence (unless its mere bandwgon hopping of course)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The bandwagon jumping isn't just restricted to Flintoff.

Harmison and Giles have a fair few new fans whereas some of us can proudly state we defended them throughout :p

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I actually think the jury should still be out on Harmison instead of everyone 'jumping on thebandwagon', as he has had two good series and yet only taken three wickets in this one. The West Indies tour and New Zealand series showed his definite talent and growing maturity, but he has a really long way to go before he can be properly rated the second best bowler in the world.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
why are you saying people are jumping on bandwagons anyway. Can't you credit Flintoff, Giles and Harmison forproducing good performances, turning peoples heads, and showing them what they can do?

I also believe that a massive zebra is stupid for even starting this thread as Andrew Flintoff is in no way overrated. He is only just starting to acheive his potential, thats all

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Some of us have backed them for a long time in the face of sever criticism from the non-believers (and believe me, in the case of Harmison in particular, they were particularly vehement)

Now these non-believers have started t back the selections, so we can feel quite smug in knowing that we were right! ;)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
steds said:
I also believe that a massive zebra is stupid for even starting this thread as Andrew Flintoff is in no way overrated. He is only just starting to acheive his potential, thats all

To be fair he did start it 5 months ago, so things have moved on since then, but even prior to his recent efforts, the good people of CW had voted No more than Yes.

Timewell

U19 Debutant
I told you all about Gilo...well not you lot...but another lot! They wouldn't listen...but there you go...It's a well-known fact - I am ALWAYS right! :p :cool:

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
Some of us have backed them for a long time in the face of sever criticism from the non-believers (and believe me, in the case of Harmison in particular, they were particularly vehement)

Now these non-believers have started t back the selections, so we can feel quite smug in knowing that we were right! ;)
It is moments like those when Harmison started taking his wickets v West Indies, that the temptation would be type 'I told you so'.

tooextracool

International Coach
Tom Halsey said:

my opinion has changed from what??

In regards to his bowling... I don't think it's actually as far below his batting as many say. He certainly has a knack for... doing things, shall we say.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
nookie_lk said:
i think flintoff is the best allrounder at the moment....
What about Kallis? (I totally agree with you, I just want to be argumentative)