• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in the West Indies 2017

Bijed

International Regular
Haven't been watching but it does seem strange that Stokes usually bowls minimum 5 overs even when the pitch doesn't seem to be suiting the seamers or he's getting knocked round the park (so most games), yet he hasn't bowled here at all. Moeen and Root: 12 overs between them for a pretty poor return. Did he pick up a knock or what?
Stokes is carrying a small niggle apparently, don't think anything in particular happened to cause it.

91Jmay

International Coach
We will win this game but no way our bowling is good enough to challenge really for the CT. We haven't even got one bowler who'd get into South Africa or Australia's full strength teams.

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah, bloke who has the 3 fastest English ODI hundreds of all time and a 40 ball 90 needs to show up more 8-)

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We will win this game but no way our bowling is good enough to challenge really for the CT. We haven't even got one bowler who'd get into South Africa or Australia's full strength teams.
Our tactic is gaving a stacked batting line-up with functional bowlers, it's doing alright, and TBH Woakes may never look particularly good but he keeps performing.

just knee jerking like so many love to do wrt to morgan
ahh the classic being a dick, will stop people being a dick, not just make the entire being a dick thing much more prevalent.

Seems to be working in the World in general.

he says in a dickish way....

Moonsorrow999

U19 Debutant
If Windies could catch they'd have won that. England would have been creamed against anyone other than the rank 9 team in the world.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Same old WI. We go into a series way less prepared than the opposition and virtually throw away the first game. Whilst England have played BD and India away, and have built up an understanding and team bonding. We've been sat on our backsides for the most part. Yes many of the players will have played in our recently concluded one day competition but they haven't played as a team for months and the poor fielding showed that.

I also don't know why Powell was batting at three!!..the guy is an opener and lit up the 50 day competition playing there. This where the hole left by Darren Bravo hurts us the most. No Narine and Polly also doesn't help. And how Rovman Powell didn't start is beyond me...Carlos is living off a few food innings right now imo.

We'll see what transpires in the next few games but I'm not that confident tbh. England are a settled side whilst we're still trying to find our feet...I'll be judging Law's impact by the end of the year, right now is about installing better philosophies for our players to adopt and to build a team worthy of wearing that great WI shirt. It won't be easy of course, but with the new talent we have emerging I remain hopeful.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Same old WI. We go into a series way less prepared than the opposition and virtually throw away the first game. Whilst England have played BD and India away, and have built up an understanding and team bonding. We've been sat on our backsides for the most part. Yes many of the players will have played in our recently concluded one day competition but they haven't played as a team for months and the poor fielding showed that.

I also don't know why Powell was batting at three!!..the guy is an opener and lit up the 50 day competition playing there. This where the hole left by Darren Bravo hurts us the most. No Narine and Polly also doesn't help. And how Rovman Powell didn't start is beyond me...Carlos is living off a few food innings right now imo.

We'll see what transpires in the next few games but I'm not that confident tbh. England are a settled side whilst we're still trying to find our feet...I'll be judging Law's impact by the end of the year, right now is about installing better philosophies for our players to adopt and to build a team worthy of wearing that great WI shirt. It won't be easy of course, but with the new talent we have emerging I remain hopeful.
I don't think we can use preperation as an excuse. The reason Shannon Gabriel, Jason Mohammed and Shai Hope looked so good is because they have played a lot of List A cricket recently. The timing was good and they have played a lot of cricket. I think we lost because England are much better than us with the bat and in the field. I thought their bowling was a bit pants tbh and that gives us a slight chance in the other two games. They also won because they are now a pretty experienced team and took their chances whilst riding out the tough periods.

I don't think we're far away from being a decent ODI team though. There are some superb signs and we have very talented players. The core of them need to be backed now and given lots of ODIs. I've given up referring to the T20 lot because what's the point? This is the situation we're in, we've lost that generation now let's back this lot.

We could still select a team better though. I agree with you, Rovman Powell is a much better cricketer than Carlos Braithwaite and its a traversty that he is sitting on the bench. I Think 4 positions are questionable at the moment. I wouldn't have Kraigg, Carlos or Bishoo in this team. My team would be:

Kieron Powell
Evin Lewis
Shai Hope
Jason Mohammed
Jonathan Carter
Rovman Powell
Jason Holder
Rakheem Cornwall
Ashley Nurse/Devendra Bishoo
Alzarri Joesph
Shannon Gabriel

I think Kraigg is useful to have in the squad for tricky wickets when you need someone to stay in but on days like yesterday he is a liability.

Alzarri Joseph should always play, the kid is going to be a world class seamer and we need some potency alongside Gabriel.

I'm not a fan of Ashley Nurse and would love to replace him with a left arm all-rounder like Riefer but he has dominated the List A tournament and did ok yesterday so he deserves his chance.

Rakheem Cornwall might be huge but he's a superb off spinner and a lower order hitter. He would have been a real asset yesterday. I don't care if the opposition take the mick out of him as long as he continues to score runs and take wickets.

Bijed

International Regular
How much of a liability would Cornwall be in the field?
I'm assuming he'd be dire in the outfield. On the other hand (though this applies more to tests) he could be great at short leg simply due to naturally cutting off such a big scoring arc. Also if he gets hit there's a good chance the ball might just lodge in him.

cnerd123

likes this
Id just stick him at short cover/midwicket/mid-on/mid-off. It'll be like placing a wall in front of the batsman.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
How much of a liability would Cornwall be in the field?
Close in, like at slip and midwicket he's actually pretty good. He is poor on the boundary for obvious reasons. But with bat and ball he is class and would add a hell of a lot to the team.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Watched a bit of this match. Gabriel's opening spell was awesome; fast, intense, beat the bat half-a-dozen times, had a couple of good LBW shouts. Could've easily had more than two wickets.

Overall, reckon Morgan's innings was the difference. Was prepared to be patient and build slowly even when England were a bit wobbly early and managed the big innings that the Windies bats just couldn't quite do.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I don't think we can use preperation as an excuse. The reason Shannon Gabriel, Jason Mohammed and Shai Hope looked so good is because they have played a lot of List A cricket recently. The timing was good and they have played a lot of cricket.
Beamer I'm sure you can understand that there is a big difference between playing cricket as an individual and playing cricket as a TEAM? The two are apples and oranges. England have played two series before they came to the Caribbean whilst our team haven't played against anyone for months. Team cohesion is very important in the current climate. Especially when you're the less talented side.