• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in the West Indies 2017

91Jmay

International Coach
Feel for the Windies, Shannon Gabriel would have been a proper handful on this deck. More of these pitches for Windies cricket though, let the young players develop on none kneerollers

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
I'm glad they brought up the speed of the bowlers on the series. England have been way off their normal pace. Woakes and plunkett in the early 80mph range. Are they injured/tired, going through the motions or didn't bother training for the series?

It seems like all the current bunch have been progressively getting slower over the last year. Ball's another whose pace has dropped a lot since debuting. It doesn't matter in this series but guys like woakes and plunkett need that extra pace.

It's depressing for England seeing we can barely get it over 135kmh in Odis and starc is still hitting 150ks at the end of a day in a test match.

Beamer

Quite frankly what I find most embarrassing about this is how meek the batting has been. No intent whatsoever. Scoring at less than 3 an over over the first 20 when chasing 300 is just pathetic. They're not even playing in a West Indian way. There is no brand to this cricket, it's just so boring.

S.Kennedy

I just haven't watched these. Just caught the highlights of the first couple and will not even be doing that for this third one-dayer. Most uninteresting series ever.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Root has looked so scratchy and unconvincing recently, yet he keeps churning out bags of runs. If this is what he's like when out of form then god damn.

91Jmay

International Coach
Root has looked so scratchy and unconvincing recently, yet he keeps churning out bags of runs. If this is what he's like when out of form then god damn.
I'd agree up until the last 50 or so runs today. He timed it nicely after he got his half century.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Well that was an absolute EMBARRASSMENT again wasn't it? SMH it's just painful to watch that stuff. First let me analyse the team.

Kraigg= Noy sure this experiment is gonna work tbh. Yes he's still early in his ODI career so maybe deserves more time but he does put pressure on his fellow batsmen at the top

Lewis= Big disappointment in this series. Needs to go back to the drawing board and work on a few things

Powell= He's not a number three and sadly he's carried on the same form he had when he was previously dropped from the team. Maybe Kieran just can't cut it at international level.

Mohammed= Done himself justice in this series and has clearly improved.

Carter= A mixed bag really, done ok but not sure he should be a long-term fixture in the ODI top order

Hope= Not good enough from the young man. He's a very good young talent but it's time to start putting the numbers up now.

Carlos= Absolute crap and must be replaced.

Holder= His leadership of the team still remains a concern. His batting left a lot to be desired and he only turned up with the ball in the last game. That's not good enough

Nurse= Is he better than Cornwall? Not for me.

Bishoo= Not as good as Narine and still shows a lack of variety imo

Gabriel= Done very well and will keep his position

Joseph= Well done for his 4fer, needs to go for less runs as he develops though.

Now maybe I'm being a little harsh on them because we could have won the first two games and Morgan apparently has more caps than this entire side put together...so perhaps we shouldn't be surprised by the results. But let me take you back to just TEN MONTHS ago when we beat Australia HERE. Just look at the team compared to this one?

Charles
Fletcher
Bravo
Samuels
Ramdin wk
Pollard
Holder
Carlos
Narine
Benn
Taylor

Just TWO players in this side played in the series against England...even though all of those players were available to play 8-) .Yes, they aren't exactly an all conquering side packed with the best players in the world. But what they do have is experience and that can take you a long way in this game. And that side showed that by not just beating Aus but beating SA twice aswell to reach the tri-series final.

Moving forward I'd bring back Charles, Narine, Bravo and Pollard, Get Rovman Powell and Rakheem Cornwall in the side and also look at Sunil Ambris and Jahmar Hamilton for the keeper position. If those two don't cut it then go back to Dowrich until Hope gets his act together.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
who do you replace the guys who struggled with though ww? it will inevitably just be another bunch of underwhelming, under delivering cricketers.

the west indies have been shuffling deck chairs on the titanic for an age now.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
who do you replace the guys who struggled with though ww? it will inevitably just be another bunch of underwhelming, under delivering cricketers.

the west indies have been shuffling deck chairs on the titanic for an age now.
I'm usually an advocate for throwing in the youngsters. But the selectors have been foolish with their selections. Powell at three? REALLY? That right there killed our top order from the very start. The team that beat Aus at least had a structure to it, but this one was just an unbalanced mess. There were no solid foundations, the attack relied way too much on Gabriel and the batting was all on Kraigg and the big hitters down the order. Just not good enough.

We've got enough talent to get it right, but the selectors have to be logical with their thinking first. Dan Bardell and some other English commentators have been quite dismissive and arrogent about our team during this series, but they need to remember that they just lost heavily in India themselves and we currently hold three world titles at the moment, so not everything is black and white. Stuart Law needs to get rid of the rubbish and mould a team that will at least battle for him. That team on the pitch in the third game were just going through the motions imo.

Moonsorrow999

U19 Debutant
I'm glad they brought up the speed of the bowlers on the series. England have been way off their normal pace. Woakes and plunkett in the early 80mph range. Are they injured/tired, going through the motions or didn't bother training for the series?

It seems like all the current bunch have been progressively getting slower over the last year. Ball's another whose pace has dropped a lot since debuting. It doesn't matter in this series but guys like woakes and plunkett need that extra pace.

It's depressing for England seeing we can barely get it over 135kmh in Odis and starc is still hitting 150ks at the end of a day in a test match.
Why is that depressing? It's been the case for a long time now. England haven't had anyone bowl at 150ks for years. Their team is over-rated. Commentators going berserk because they've finally realised 200 isn't a good score over 50 overs. They failed to beat any of the other big 5 in the last series they played against them. Yeah, they're better than they were but I don't get why they are favourites. Their bowling is so 'samey' and their spinners are horrific. Their batting is okay. Roy is great, Hales struggles against half decent bowlers, Root is good, Morgan has been out of form for 2 years and the rest are very much hit and miss, in Buttler's case it very rarely comes off for him. No consistency for England really and that is why they will fail.

theegyptian

Why is that depressing? It's been the case for a long time now. England haven't had anyone bowl at 150ks for years. Their team is over-rated. Commentators going berserk because they've finally realised 200 isn't a good score over 50 overs. They failed to beat any of the other big 5 in the last series they played against them. Yeah, they're better than they were but I don't get why they are favourites. Their bowling is so 'samey' and their spinners are horrific. Their batting is okay. Roy is great, Hales struggles against half decent bowlers, Root is good, Morgan has been out of form for 2 years and the rest are very much hit and miss, in Buttler's case it very rarely comes off for him. No consistency for England really and that is why they will fail.
It's disappointing (probably better choice of words than depressing) because Woakes and Plunkett came back into the teams on the back of bowling at quicker speeds. Plunkett was consistently 140km/h+, Woakes 135km/h+. Now they are around the 130-133 mark. It might be ok against WI on these average wickets but in the future if they don't refind the pace they are going to be found out against the better teams.

WIth regards to the other stuff that wasn't related to my original post. Well they beat NZ (so your statement isn't true) and whilst they lost to Aus(3-2), SA(3-2), and IND(2-1) they were all tight series with a team that is improving and has had a large influx of new players since the last world cup. Buttler averages 36 @ 118 sr batting generally at 6 and 7- not many players have comparable records. Morgan has an excellent record since the last WC.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Didn't Mills hit 150kph in literally his first ball in international cricket?