• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Match-losingest effort in Test and ODI history

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I'll let the rest of you do the Tests, but here's a discussion I don't think we've had: which player has put in the greatest effort to ensure that his side loses a match?

As fellow ODI fans understand, it is possible to lose a ODI match by scoring too slowly because one has a limited number of deliveries and therefore every dot ball is a win for the bowler, as is every single when the RRR is over 6.

A few stand out for me. This one is Michael Bevan with the bat:

3rd ODI: Australia v South Africa at Melbourne (Docklands), Aug 20, 2000 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Coming in at 31 for 2 in a chase of only 207, Bevan soaks up 80 balls for only 33 runs and Australia lose by 8 runs. He managed only one boundary in the entire innings. If a Pakistani had played this innings he would be banned for life for match-fixing.

This one is Daryl Tuffey with the ball:

3rd ODI: New Zealand v Australia at Auckland, Feb 26, 2005 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Tuffey opens the bowling, concedes 25 runs from 2 overs including one 14-ball over, then is taken out of the attack and New Zealand are forced to bowl 19 overs of Astle and McMillan to a team containing Gilchrist, Ponting, Clarke and Hussey. Needless to say, Aussie scored too many runs for us to chase and we lost.

Again, imagine if Mohammed Amir bowled a 14-ball over in an ODI - you'd never hear the end of it. Probably Tuffey would have helped his team if he injured himself just after the teams had been named but before the start of play.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bevan almost timed that innings perfectly tbh. If they hadn't lost 2 overs because of over rate (absurd rule) they would've cantered home

Victor Ian

International Coach
Bevan almost timed that innings perfectly tbh. If they hadn't lost 2 overs because of over rate (absurd rule) they would've cantered home
I can't accept that. I was cheering KV for showing the kind of **** that Bevan seemed to too often do that everyone has forgotten about. If Bevan wasn't such a 'ill time this perfectly' douche and 'done and dusted' it earlier there would be no smudge on his record to show.

I know I judge Bevan harshly but he made most games excruciating - even when Aus won - when they needn't have been that way.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Sri Lanka v. Bangladesh in the 2003 world cup. Or would it fit better in the most one sided matches

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I never saw that match, but when did Kholi have time to lose his mind in a dug out? He was on the field batting from the 10th ball to the 116th. 12 balls to slowly lose his ****! I think not. Then he was presumably fielding for the whole second innings.
**** yeah it was the last over actually when Dhoni couldn't slam any boundaries only after Yuvi had ruined everything.

Not only did I post a t20 match in an ODI and Test only thread I couldn't even get the story straight. Fmd.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I can't accept that. I was cheering KV for showing the kind of **** that Bevan seemed to too often do that everyone has forgotten about. If Bevan wasn't such a 'ill time this perfectly' douche and 'done and dusted' it earlier there would be no smudge on his record to show.

I know I judge Bevan harshly but he made most games excruciating - even when Aus won - when they needn't have been that way.
Fair point. But on the other hand if he had have taken more risks and just gotten out that day where would Australia be? They ran out of wickets anyway

smash84

The Tiger King
This has to be the single most collective "losingest" effort in history. And malik certainly knew a thing or two about losing :p
ACB investigations officer Greg Melick looked into the claim made by Malik, as told to undercover reporters of the News of the World. In a secretly-taped video Malik said that during one game on the 1994 tour Pakistan and Australia were both trying to lose.
Cricket: Australian board dismisses Match-fixing

Victor Ian

International Coach
Fair point. But on the other hand if he had have taken more risks and just gotten out that day where would Australia be? They ran out of wickets anyway
Fair point too. Bevan is my Jeckle and Hyde player. Sometimes I hate him. Other times he is my favourite ODI player. I guess my current mood is impatient.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Probably the worst Test match performance I know of is Kamran Akmal's allround role at Trent Bridge 2010

Mohammad Amir to Strauss, no run, dropped! Kamran, what have you done? Perfect outswinger from Aamer, Strauss edges and Akmal puts down the simplest of chances.
Strauss made 45 after this

35.6 Mohammad Amir to Morgan, no run, is this out? There's an edge behind from Morgan and Kamran Akmal moves forward to take the catch but has it carried? Kamran believes that he has, and the umpires ask for help from Marais Erasmus upstairs. Replays show that has definitely bounced short of the gloves
Morgan was on 5, went on to make the only ton of the game

Oh well, maybe Kamran can make up for it with the bat

Finn to Kamran Akmal, OUT, Finn gets another! Kamran Akmal prods limply, tentatively outside off and simply guides a catch to Collingwood at second slip
Kamran Akmal c Collingwood b Finn 0 (6m 2b 0x4 0x6) SR: 0.00
Bemused, the cricinfo commentator tempts fate

My word, I thought that was a replay of Umar Akmal's dismissal, it was that similar. Kamran's Test cannot possibly get any worse. Surely.
Things started well with a nice take to dismiss Pietersen of Amir but, uncomfortable with performing, he resumes the very next ball
Umar Gul to Collingwood, no run, oh no! Dropped! After just pulling off a stunner he's put Collingwood down first ball, it was wide, Collingwood flashed a cut and edges it towards first slip, Akmal flew across and dropped the chance
And the fourth innings is worth examining in detail

Kamran Akmal the new man, he owes Pakistan a few...

Finn to Kamran Akmal, no run, oh dear, almost fell first ball, it was back of a length outside off stump, Kamran played with an open face well away from his body and it went one-bounce to gully
Finn to Kamran Akmal, no run, Kamran this time aims a big cut at a delivery too close to him, he only manages to bottom edge into his pads.
Finn to Kamran Akmal, OUT, Kamran has gone! He bags a pair. What a miserable Test he's had. It was shortish but didn't bounce at all, Kamran aimed to swing away a pull shot but it burrowed under the bat and struck him close to leg stump. Tony Hill gave him out, Kamran wasn't happy but his brother used up the last referral so he had no choice but to go.
Kamran Akmal lbw b Finn 0 (6m 3b 0x4 0x6) SR: 0.00
I mainly remember this performance for Andy Zaltzman's description.

"It is hard to imagine a worse match performance than that by Umar’s brother Kamran, a spectacular array of wicketkeeping howlers neatly interlocked with a pair of noughts with the bat, comprising perhaps the worst individual performance in any medium since novelty children’s entertainer Mr Chicken’s dismal effort at playing King Lear, which consisted of a three-hour chicken impression in which he persistently called all of his daughters "Eggie"."