• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW votes- The greatest ODI teams of all time (Australia)

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
With some discussion on the forums recently about the greatest ODI players, it may be good to run some threads to decide on the greatest ODI XIs from each nations and then the all time ODI XI from all nations. Over the next few weeks I will run threads to votes and discuss on these teams. Could be interesting conversations around different eras etc as well.

First up is Australia, a consistently successful ODI team and the most successful at World Cups. Please vote as players are presented within the thread to keep things tidy. Other players may be voted for if you wish.

Red

Australia's ODI wicketkeeper

Will choose the wicketkeeper first in most teams as this effects the rest of the XI more than any other position.

Adam Gilchrist

One of the most explosive and powerful batsmen of all time, and a reliable and unobtrusive keeper.

Ian Healy

One of the greatest keepers of all time, as well as being a reliable and consistent lower order batman.

Brad Haddin

A superb athletic keeper and a belligerent and reliable top or lower order bat.

Rod Marsh

Highly skilled gloveman, especially to quick bowling, and a forceful batsman. Australia's first ODI keeper.

Last edited:

Teuton

International Captain
As good as the others are, it has to be Gilly.
Arguably 4 of the top 10 Odi keepers in history.

Last edited:

Red

I'm aware that some decisions will be clear cut but you've still gotta make it democratic!

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I know it's all part of the process... but do we really need to vote on the keeper?... surely he's the one lock :p

Edit: I see you've already been hammered on that point

DriveClub

International Regular
I see Wade has been snubbed again, I'd pick Wade just for his attitude and aggression, plays with fire in his belly

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I see Wade has been snubbed again, I'd pick Wade just for his attitude and aggression, plays with fire in his belly
Wade isn't a terrible ODI keeper since dropped catches off spinners aren't as costly in that format. Spinners in ODIs generally are there too get through the middle overs cheaply.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Because it’s such a standout choice a more interesting debate is whether Gilchrist was a better ODI bat or Test bat.

I reckon the latter, which I think is partly because Gilchrist was always part of very strong batting lineups and knew he had licence to attack because even if he failed there were others who could take up in the slack. In contrast in Tests he often came in with Oz in a bit of trouble or Oz needing to solidify their position and this seemed to bring the best out of him.
As a result I think he underachieved slightly as a ODI batsman in terms of pure stats. But in terms of his great innings and his intimidation factor he wins this by a country mile.

One keeper/bat that didn’t get mentioned here is Wayne Phillips; was an aggressive and sometimes quite successful ODI bat who should’ve had a better career than he had. In hindsight, would’ve made more sense to have him as a ODI keeper/bat instead of doing the same in Tests.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Because a voting system of selecting teams needs voting.
Could do it like the world xi game where you do 2 or 3 spots at once. For instance asking us to pick a keeper and an opening bowler at the same time is fine.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Because a voting system of selecting teams needs voting.
Seriously mate, I know it's part of the process, but you'll get zero complaints if you make Gilly a lock now and move to the slightly more interesting question of his opening partner.