• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW votes- The greatest ODI teams of all time (Australia)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is where the problem of selecting by order of position rears its ugly head. I would like to know who the five bowlers selected are before making a call between Watson, Hayden, or Waugh.

Another observation I have made about alltime ODI sides is that most nations can field four very good bowlers. It's the quality of the 5th bowler that might separate them.
I'm tipping if Australia fields its ATG ODI side and it's fifth bowler is made up of overs from Symonds, Bevan, M Waugh, N E One-Else etc, they'll still romp it in over any other ATG side.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Please! We are talking about the greatest side of all time. It's unlikely when it's all said and done that Watson's bowling will be much more than a nice to have. He doesn't make the conversation at all really.

That's my opinion. You do know what an opinion is right? There's no need to troll me simply because you don't agree.
Jeez mate, if you think that was me trolling you, then I think you maybe should ask yourself if the internet is really the place for you.

Look, you can have your opinion but if you think Shane Watson was a joke of a ODI player then you're just plain wrong. He was a dead set gun and your comment smacks of someone confusing Twatto the test player with Watson the ODI star.

OverratedSanity

I'm tipping if Australia fields its ATG ODI side and it's fifth bowler is made up of overs from Symonds, Bevan, M Waugh, N E One-Else etc, they'll still romp it in over any other ATG side.
What if they're playing against the ATG Australia odi team, only with a proper fifth bowler? Checkmate.

Burgey

Because if they're already the atg Australian team then they can't play against themselves ffs. It would be the one fifth bowler against 11 other players. Now, he might produce a great spell and rack up a great ton, but my money would be on the other mob.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Watson because he makes my ATG world XI, so why not Australian XI. His all-round value is huge.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Because if they're already the atg Australian team then they can't play against themselves ffs. It would be the one fifth bowler against 11 other players. Now, he might produce a great spell and rack up a great ton, but my money would be on the other mob.

Nah.. think the Windies AT XI will run them extremely extremely close and so will the RSA one. And India in SC conditions, and even Pak across conditions. They willl not be as far away from the pack as their test side IMO.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I think the Aussie part timers would be enough to handle the req 10 overs between them. I just don't know if Watson's bowling is enough, that is, his bowling really isn't all that much better than the aforementioned "part-timers". All due credit to Watto though, he definitely deserves to be in the discussion.

Here are some bowling stats (in ODIs):

Bevan - 36 wkts @ 45.97, 5.05 rpo
Symonds - 133 wkts @ 37.25, 5.00 rpo
Watson - 168 wkts @ 31.79, 4.95 rpo
M Waugh - 85 wkts @ 35.56, 4.78 rpo
S Waugh - 195 wkts @ 34.67, 4.56 rpo

Edit: Allow me to include Boof, Mo, Long Tom & the Freak, as a comparison.

Harvey - 85 wkts @ 30.31, 4.71 rpo
Lehmann - 52 wkts @ 27.78, 4.83 rpo
Matthews - 57 wkts @ 35.15, 4.28 rpo
Moody - 52 wkts @ 38.73, 4.32 rpo

Last edited:

Zinzan

Nah.. think the Windies AT XI will run them extremely extremely close and so will the RSA one. And India in SC conditions, and even Pak across conditions. They willl not be as far away from the pack as their test side IMO.
Yup, Windies and SA spring to mind as being tough opposition, after that Pakistan to a lesser extent. NZ, Eng SL & India ... not so much.

Zinzan

Pretty sure SL and Ind will run them close or even beat them over a series in the SC.
Possibly, I suppose any team in their home conditions will always be tougher, but certainly in neutral type conditions, the ATG WI, SA & Pak are the only sides even close to Australia in terms of personnel.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Yup, Windies and SA spring to mind as being tough opposition, after that Pakistan to a lesser extent. NZ, Eng SL & India ... not so much.
Depends on the rules of the ODI match. If its the new rules, Tendulkar, Kohli, Yuvraj and Dhoni are good enough to smash anyone they put out in Indian conditions, let alone their best 5th bowler.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
@Zinzan:

Depends on what you mean by "neutral". I would not rule out the Indian side smashing runs against Australia if the neutral you are taking about are "roads". But on tracks with a bit of high bounce and movement, they will beat the Ind and SL AT sides mroe often than not.

Also, it is not always necessary that the nations'; who have had some of the best teams over the years needs to be the dominant side in an ATG XI competition. It is possible that some sides would have produced equally great or even better cricketers across generations.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
M Waugh
Gilchrist
Ponting
Jones
Bevan
Hussey/S Waugh/ Symonds
Watson
Warne
B Lee/Starc
Lillee
Mcgrath

Zinzan

@Zinzan:

Depends on what you mean by "neutral". I would not rule out the Indian side smashing runs against Australia if the neutral you are taking about are "roads". But on tracks with a bit of high bounce and movement, they will beat the Ind and SL AT sides mroe often than not.

Also, it is not always necessary that the nations'; who have had some of the best teams over the years needs to be the dominant side in an ATG XI competition. It is possible that some sides would have produced equally great or even better cricketers across generations.
lol Without wishing to go down the path we did to death in the ATG thread...I don't really rate India's ATG XI aside from 4 players. Personally I think the NZ XI is better due to their bowling...but even putting Ind & NZ aside, of the ATG sides, I'd rank Aust at 1, SA 2, WI 3 & Pakistan 4. with quite a margin to the next side, whether that's NZ/Ind/SL or Eng.

OverratedSanity

They willl not be as far away from the pack as their test side IMO.
Isn't this a little backwards? West Indies and England's AT test XI's would be pretty close to Australia's, but in ODIs they're comfortably the best on paper. That top order of Gilchrist-Waugh/Hayden/Watson-Ponting-Jones-Bevan-Symonds/Hussey is more stacked than any combination you can put together from West Indies.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Gilchrist
Waugh
Jones
Ponting
Bevan
Symonds
Hussey
Lee
Warne