• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW votes- The greatest ODI teams of all time (Australia)

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
^ Jordan Belfort of course noted for his will to accept constructive criticism and improve his behaviour based on it.

Anyway, Gilchrist. Only question is his batting position.

Fenil

Cricket Web Staff Member
I have only seen Gilly and Haddin play so its a no brainer for me. Gilly please. Thank you.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Second choice will be Gilly's opening partner:

Mark Waugh

Matthew Hayden

Geoff Marsh

David Boon

Dave Warner

Shane Watson

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dave Warner for me.

He wouldn't have even been close a couple of years ago, but jeez... in the last 2 years averaging 63 @ 108 is far better than any of those others achieved in a similar period, even factoring the different eras.

The only argument against Warner, is he's very similar to Gilly, but if it comes off, she's game over pretty early on.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I think Watson is a must as the 5th bowler (Symonds or Bevan are at best 6th bowlers in this kind of a team). But I think I'll slot Watson somewhere in the middle-order, because there are so many genuinely good opening options for Aus.

Mark Waugh and Hayden were fantastic.

But I'll go with David Warner.

morgieb

I'll go Watson. Was at his best opening and his bowling drags him over Waugh who would usually get it.

Warner doesn't quite have enough longetivity IMO, two years ago he was barely ODI standard.

adub

International Captain
Much more interesting question.

Junior.

But could easily accept any of these including Marsh who was dross in Tests, but remarkably good at playing the sheet anchor role in ODIs that was an actual important thing in the 80s.

Burgey

Not an easy choice, this. For me it's between M Waugh, Watson and Boonie. Watson's bowling is really handy, but then again Mark Waugh bowled both very handy medium pacers when he was younger and then offies as he got older. Really dunno which way to go.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hayden is ludicrously over-rated as an ODI batsman.
Hayden was like a fine wine in ODI cricket. He just got better and better as he got older, culminating in the 2007 WC where he broke batting records and carried us through all the way to the final. I have very strong memories of him smacking Pollock around the park in that WC, when Pollock was the number one rated bowler in ODI cricket at the time.

In fact, Hayden made half of his hundreds and averaged 58 after his return to form in 2007 against NZ.

Before this period he had stats almost identical to M Waugh.

So I'm going to go Hayden. M Waugh unlucky.

Zinzan

Hayden is ludicrously over-rated as an ODI batsman.
Hayden was like a fine wine in ODI cricket. He just got better and better as he got older, culminating in the 2007 WC where he broke batting records and carried us through all the way to the final. I have very strong memories of him smacking Pollock around the park in that WC, when Pollock was the number one rated bowler in ODI cricket at the time.

In fact, Hayden made half of his hundreds and averaged 58 after his return to form in 2007 against NZ.

Before this period he had stats almost identical to M Waugh.

So I'm going to go Hayden. M Waugh unlucky.

I chose Warner, but I agree that Hayden wasn't overrated, he was ludicrously good around that time you mentioned. His 180 in NZ just before the WC when he broke a bone in his foot IIRC was ridiculously good.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Too tough a question. Any one of them can be selected. But, I will go Mark Waugh for quite a few reasons that have already been mentioned above. Also, good to have a left-right combination and a hitter-stayer combination.