• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Test Openers

Best Test Openers

• Hayden & Langer

Votes: 28 54.9%
  • Vaughan & Trescothick

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Sehwag & Chopra

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Richardson & Papps

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gibbs & Smith

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Atapattu & Jayasuriya

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NikhilN

International Regular
Who do you think are the best test openers?

I would go with sehwag and chopra...Out of 7 of their matches as openers they have taken their partnership past a 100 4 times

P.S: 600 posts :D :D

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Its clearly Gibbs and Smith atm, Sehwag is in form AT THE MOMENT but lets see him keep it up for a good while longer yet, and Chopra isnt really that good, its just that he is allowed to score slowly while batsmen at the other end keep the rate up.
While Gibbs and Smith are regularly scoring heavily and have i think 2 300+ partnerships together. Something Sehwag and Chopra could only dream about.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gibbs and Smith have 6 century stands and 7 fifty+ stands with an average of 81.93. My vote goes to them.

Craig

World Traveller
SpaceMonkey said:
Its clearly Gibbs and Smith atm, Sehwag is in form AT THE MOMENT but lets see him keep it up for a good while longer yet, and Chopra isnt really that good, its just that he is allowed to score slowly while batsmen at the other end keep the rate up.
While Gibbs and Smith are regularly scoring heavily and have i think 2 300+ partnerships together.
Its actually three triple hundreds. I think that is a Test record, but I'm not too sure.

And here I thought that made a mistake shiffting Gary Kirsten from opener...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Have to go with the Aussies, closely followed by the South Africans than a gap to England and India.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Hayden and Langer for mine. Although they were far more prolific at the start of their partnership, they have made the Australian batting order far more rigid.

Gibbs and Smith have started well, much like Langer and Hayden....it would be good to see these 2 continue.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Hayden and Langer would still hold this mantle, just because they've been doing it for a few years now.

Gibbs and Smith not far behind, have been in great form, but can't yet overthrow the mantle that Hayden and Langer have held until they do what they're do for a longer period.

After that there is daylight.

Craig

World Traveller
Akash Chopra and Virender Sehwag are running up the ladder as being India's best Test openers in the last 5-10 years.

They really have gelled together. I suppose it is easier when you play for the State team.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Very, very close between the Aussies and South Africa, but I've gone for Gibbs and Smith purely because of their massive achievements in such a phenomenally short time.

Ask me in an hour and I might say the experience of the Aussies swung it.

Yes, I did end up changing my mind about 5 times, kept clicking the buttons to see the little dot going up and down - very therapeutic.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Its a toughie between Gibbs/smith and Langer/Hayden.

I'd prolly just opt for the latter.

Sehwag and Chopra are a promising pairing but its early days yet for them.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Gibbs and Smith. The only thing they lack is experience - but to be honest, they've proven that they don't really need much of it. I'd rather inexperienced openers that can average over 80 and pull off three 300+ partnerships than experienced openers that average less. The only thing that counts at the end of the day is scoring a lot of runs at a steady or accelerated pace, and right now, they can do that better than anyone.

Ferd

U19 Vice-Captain
Hayden and Langer.

They have been giving Australia great opening parnterships for years and often one(Sometimes both) of them will go on to make a big score. Gibbs and Smith are great openers but they haven't been doing it for as long.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
How on Earth are the Indian pair only one vote behind the South Africans, and yet Vaughan and Trescothick have none?

indianreligion

School Boy/Girl Captain
marc71178 said:
How on Earth are the Indian pair only one vote behind the South Africans, and yet Vaughan and Trescothick have none?
lemme guess....sehwag's 309 is still fresh in ppl's minds!

i think the south african opening duo are prolly the best now....it's a close one between them and the aussies!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
marc71178 said:
Hmmm, possibly because they are currently doing the job, and doing it damn well...

I vote Langer and Hayden, so good for so long.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
Rather, how on earth did Papps and Richardson make this poll and Hinds and Gayle were left out. If memory serves correct they average around 44 with 3 hundred stands.