• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Test Openers

Best Test Openers

• Hayden & Langer

Votes: 28 54.9%
  • Vaughan & Trescothick

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Sehwag & Chopra

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Richardson & Papps

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gibbs & Smith

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Atapattu & Jayasuriya

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, but the England pair started out something like that, and eventually the average begins to drop.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Shewag and Chopra will never maintain a 65 + avrage the way they are going ATM.

Quite simpily Shewag does all the work he scores 70% of the runs so if he falls in the 30s the partneship probably only amounts to about 40-50 runs.

indianreligion

School Boy/Girl Captain
hellnback said:
With 1.1-1.2 BILLION people in India and considering how fanatical they are about their own cricket team/players, I'm absolutely flabbergasted that they're not AHEAD in the poll.
oh..*** on! we don't have 1.1-1.2 billion indians on this forum,do we?
also, i think...that if there was a separate poll (indian openers vs english openers) the english would prolly win....bcoz all brits on the forum hav voted for either rsa or aus....but certain indian (or otherwise) fans have gone ahead and posted votes for the india duo...knowing quite well that they are not THE best...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
indianreligion said:
oh..*** on! we don't have 1.1-1.2 billion indians on this forum,do we?
also, i think...that if there was a separate poll (indian openers vs english openers) the english would prolly win....bcoz all brits on the forum hav voted for either rsa or aus....but certain indian (or otherwise) fans have gone ahead and posted votes for the india duo...knowing quite well that they are not THE best...
You might be surprised.

The question was 'who are the best?' not 'place them in descending order'.

Clearly, Chopra and Sehwag have potential, equally clearly at the moment they have achieved little in comparison to either the Aussies or the Proteas. Even more equally clearly (!), for 'Chopra and Sehwag' a lot of Indians just mean 'Sehwag and anyone' for the following reasons...

1. Sehwag scored 309 a couple of days ago
2. Chopra has come in for even more stick from Indian fans on this forum than Ganguly has.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ajaagarkarajaaja said:
LOL. Does the names of Gavaskar,Srikanth, Sehwag means anything to you?
Yes, about as much as the names Saeed Anwar, Sohail, Sadiq Mohammad, Majid Khan, Moshin Khan.

indianreligion

School Boy/Girl Captain
luckyeddie said:
You might be surprised.

(1)The question was 'who are the best?' not 'place them in descending order'.

(2)Clearly, Chopra and Sehwag have potential, equally clearly at the moment they have achieved little in comparison to either the Aussies or the Proteas. Even more equally clearly (!), for 'Chopra and Sehwag' a lot of Indians just mean 'Sehwag and anyone' for the following reasons...

1. Sehwag scored 309 a couple of days ago
(3)2. Chopra has come in for even more stick from Indian fans on this forum than Ganguly has.
1...i'm saying exactly the same thing, note that the "certain" i hav talked of does not include me, it includes those who vote for the the indian duo just coz they do not want the indians to hav "0 votes" beside their name (weird mentality???....i know!)

2...i myself wud, and hav gone for rsa,although i thought the gibbs-kirsten duo (which existed earlier)was even better.

3..that's the only part of ur message that suprises me!:D ...ganguly's not very well liked by most ppl (excluding me), now is he??!!?

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
What does your take on Gayle's and Hinds' technique have to do with their record as openers?

And I will back Hinds. Hinds is one of the unluckiest players in the West Indies side. Have you seen Hinds bat? He's gotten so many bad decisions, I've lost count. In England he got one just about every time he batted. The fact that his technique is shot doesn't affect his ability to score runs. I'm not claimingb either Gayle or Hinds is a great batsman, but the statistics prove that they are a good opening partnership.
yea im quite sure his stunning averages against the top teams.... 26,16,19,13 against aus,eng,nz,sa respectively... and his overall average reflects that. its no wonder that WI is going thro their biggest slump ever..they continue to pick players who have continually failed at the test level.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
indianreligion said:
3..that's the only part of ur message that suprises me!:D ...ganguly's not very well liked by most ppl (excluding me), now is he??!!?
There was massive criticism of both before the Australia series, then Ganguly popped that 144 and criticism of him went a little quiet for a little while, but it's certainly back.

I'm sure there are some who would like him to fall on his sword at the earliest opportunity.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
yea im quite sure his stunning averages against the top teams.... 26,16,19,13 against aus,eng,nz,sa respectively... and his overall average reflects that. its no wonder that WI is going thro their biggest slump ever..they continue to pick players who have continually failed at the test level.
Unfortunately, the converse is also true. There are very few currently available who haven't tasted a regular diet of failure at international level, but that will change.

Things have a habit of going full circle if you wait long enough.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tooextracool said:
And yet you still have not established how that affects the fact that they are a good opening combination. A team is not made of one player...

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
ajaagarkarajaaja said:
LOL. Does the names of Gavaskar,Srikanth, Sehwag means anything to you?
Gavaskar:Good but blocker
Srikanth:Who?
Sehwag:The luckiest player in the world, he must have got half his runs through the slip cordon.

tooextracool

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
Unfortunately, the converse is also true. There are very few currently available who haven't tasted a regular diet of failure at international level, but that will change.

Things have a habit of going full circle if you wait long enough.
yes but i never understood why the west indies didnt play jermaine lawson or marlon samuels for a single game in the world cup. i really think that among all the barren talent in the WI these 2 are at the top of the heap yet they didnt get a decent game in the world cup.amazing these selectors

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
And yet you still have not established how that affects the fact that they are a good opening combination. A team is not made of one player...
umm when a guy averages that low how in the world do u expect him to be a part of even a reasonable partnership....let alone how much gayle averages. i dont see how u could consider their partnership good when neither of them have good averages against the top teams and when neither of them can bat. i mean at least gayle has a good eye...hes strong and can hit the ball a long way....but youd think that he/they would actually work on his technique(which is horrible to say that least) that has remained the same since his debut. hes not gonna get runs when the ball seams about with that technique i can guarantee you that.

Craig

World Traveller
Armadillo said:
So?

That's a skill in its self and he always got runs v Michael Holding, the late Malcolm Marshall, Anderson (Andy) Roberts, Colin Croft etc. is no mean feat.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Armadillo said:
Ok so Gavaskar was defensive type batsman and I don't rate him as a great ODI batsman.

In test's, he still was a defensive type batsman who didn't score at a quick rate. But the test form of the game suited Gavaskar as he had the time to acumulate the runs.