• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Adam Voges Retires from Internationals

ImpatientLime

International Regular
second highest average in the history of test match cricket (min 20 matches)

lel **** you stats nerds

Last edited:

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Year: 4001
Title: Classical Draft (Bradman can not be picked)
Participants order for Round 1 pick: a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l

Round 1:

a- Adam Voges
b-
c-
d-
e-
f-
g-
h-
i-
j-
k-
l-

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pollock played seven years and 25 of his 26 test against England and Australia who were the two strongest bowling attacks of the time.

I think that's a little different to Voges averaging 7000 against West indies and NZ, and doing ****all against SA and England.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
the 'experience of english conditions' meme was my favourite cricket meme of 2015.

bloke looked like he was batting with a stick of rhubarb.

Marius

International Debutant

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pollock and Headley's FC average is a huge point in their court when shutting down the people who claim they were Voges level

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I mean, if you want to point at similar examples to Voges' test career, you'd be well within your rights to even point to Barry Richards.

Pollock and Headley both had reasonably long-ish careers. Pollock's was cut short, but it was 7 years. That's as long a career as Graeme Swann and Andrew Strauss, for example. Makes no sense to compare them to Voges, who basically had one great season and nothing else.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Except people who played with and against Pollock often talk of him as being a great and put him in ATG XIs etc.

Who will ever put Voges in any ATG XI? He can't even make the Aussie XI anymore. He also has a FC average in the 50s.

Don Bradman also said that Pollock was one of the best left-handers he'd ever seen. The other being Garry Sobers.

Graeme Pollock: One of the two left-handers Don Bradman admired the most - Cricket Country
I think you rather missed the point. Look who the quote was from and try again.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
It's hard to argue against having two divisions for tests in order to protect the sanctity of historical records and stats when you look at Voges's final standing in the batting averages.

That said, he is a good example of why the Aus selectors shouldn't be throwing guys on a scrapheap just because they've hit 32+ years old. Getting a solid two years out of them is better than nothing.