• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bad Captains

ImpatientLime

International Regular
shiv chanderpaul.

he was jaw droppingly bad.

a combination of not having a clue about what he was supposed to do and clearly not wanting the job.

so uninspiring.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Taylor was a poor man manager, a great performer (as captain) and a mediocre on field tactician. Dunno if you'd necessarily call that out as being particularly bad. Reckon hes possibly better than Kane.
The only thing Ross has over Kane was level of performance in the job. Ross was, as you say, an awful man manager and very reactive in his on-field work. Bad? Not a word I like using but not far off. I will say that Ross captained during an awful time for NZC and really had no support.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
all these flintoff naysayers forgetting about him leading us to glory in the cb trophy in 2007 with a team including liam plunkett, saj mahmood, paul nixon, james dalrymple, ed joyce, ian bell, mal loye and monty panesar.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
all these flintoff naysayers forgetting about him leading us to glory in the cb trophy in 2007 with a team including liam plunkett, saj mahmood, paul nixon, james dalrymple, ed joyce, ian bell, mal loye and monty panesar.
Didnt Vaughan come back and captain the latter part of that tri series?

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I always thought that England missed a trick by appointing Flintoff captain in 2007. Objectively Strauss was a much better choice. I actually felt at the time that it slightly tarnished our 5-0.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah gonna go with the consensus here. Shiv is the worst. There are various aspects of captaincy like leadership, tactics, desire, drive and mental toughness. Many captains have failed in some of the aspects, he is the only one I have seen who has failed in all the aspects.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
From what we've seen. how do people rate Holder's captaincy credentials? Thumbs up or thumbs down?
Absolutely awful most of the time tbh. Comically bad in ODI cricket and he favours bowlers that he is used to using domestically for Barbados even when there are better ones available in the lineup (e.g giving Kraigg Braithwaite and Jonathan Carter overs and ignoring Jason Mohammed).

In tests he has made some mistakes but captained the side excellently in his last match v Pakistan and he has at least looked like he is learning.

I'd go with Shiv too. He wasn't tactically the worst but he really didn't want the job and was not interested in the man-management side of things at all.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Shaun Pollock and Chris Gayle were pretty bad captains.
Why Gayle? I honestly think he has been one of our better captains. He performed well with the bat and was tactically astute. The only black mark I would give him was for his turning up to a test tour a couple of days before the first test even though he was captain.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Surely Gayle must lose points for his "I can't wait for test cricket to die" comment.............not what I expect or want to hear from a test captain.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Taylor was a poor man manager, a great performer (as captain) and a mediocre on field tactician. Dunno if you'd necessarily call that out as being particularly bad. Reckon hes possibly better than Kane.
Nah, I'd much rather KW over Taylor.

Taylor never had what it took emotionally speaking to be a man manager as we all now know too well. I think we can all agree in hindsight that while it was handled terribly at the time, dropping Taylor from the captaincy was one of the best things to happen to NZ cricket.

And after reading Bmac's book (I know it was only one side of the story), it's only really emphasised it.

Last edited: