• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Alastair Cook steps down as England captain

indiaholic

International Captain
Glad that he is not retiring. Wonderful player and the team needs him. Maybe it will be like Dhoni and Virat in the ODI side where although the captaincy has changed, Dhoni still has control?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!

I mean, come on guys. Am I the only one who thinks his facial hair is a huge problem?

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Coaches and former players have only really being lukewarm on Root becoming England captain and nickname at Yorkshire in not an entirely ironic way as Craptain. It all feels rather like last time with Cook being appointed captain. I watch Root on the field and he doesn't strike me as a leader or massively mature. Hopefully it's not a fait accompli that it's Root's job and Bairstow is seriously considered. There aren't really any other credible candidates. Bayliss and Fairbace love Stokes and rave about his leadership but it really would be a massive burdern to put upon him. Broad seems like the wrong generation now.

Cook's done as well as he could to continue as long as he could. People wanted him sacked when there was no-one even half credible to replace him. Least now Root and Bairstow or Stokes are that bit more bedded into the team.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Are the English really willing to make Root captain for the upcoming SA series.... maybe throw somebody else under the bus first.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I don't think Root has it in him to cut it as a captain. Gets punched in bars and smiles at a quickie trying to kill him like an idiot. Give it to Bairstow.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I have had my issues with Cook and his captaincy and for some reason, he often gives the impression he is just the sort of guy I would hate if we knew each other in real life. All that said though, he is a mighty fine batsman who has done a really good job as the captain of his side and tasted some of the most amazing success that any English captain would have tasted, ever. England will miss his captaincy, I feel, even though I dont really think he is a great captain.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I actually thought Cook was a very good captain, maybe not aggressive enough but solid. Which is what England needed when he became captain. England were actually in disarray and needed a steady hand who was dependable and not somebody flashy. That may have changed now but Cook got them to this point... It was the right thing for him to give up the captaincy now and he did so, says a lot about the man. Many captains have just hung on to long.

Spark

Global Moderator
I actually thought Cook was a very good captain, maybe not aggressive enough but solid. Which is what England needed when he became captain. England were actually in disarray and needed a steady hand who was dependable and not somebody flashy. That may have changed now but Cook got them to this point... It was the right thing for him to give up the captaincy now and he did so, says a lot about the man. Many captains have just hung on to long.
Disarray is harsh, no? Yes they'd lost a series, but Strauss simply retired.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
We're all incredibly fickle as sports fans, but I'll always look back fondly on Cook as a captain. He wasn't exactly a firebrand but he was the right man for the time.

Funnily enough, despite his reputation as conservative and uninspired, we ended up with incredible highs and lows under him. Honestly the lows were worth enduring for some of those highs.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Disarray is harsh, no? Yes they'd lost a series, but Strauss simply retired.

Nah it was definitely a bit of disarray after the first of the Pietersen fallouts. Cook was a big reason why they got the band back together for the India series, even if it kind of went to **** again a year later.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Yes KP's career looked to be over after textgate, Taylorgate and friendgate and everyone in the changing room seemed to hate KP (and each other) - but Cook brought him back in and got 18 more months out of KP.

OverratedSanity

Was a pretty poor captain tactically but by all accounts a good leader. Led from the front amazingly in India in 2012, which has to be his greatest moment as captain, I think?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
KP tweeted #BringBackKP pretty much as soon as the news was announced. What a vile man

Shri

Mr. Glass
I have had my issues with Cook and his captaincy and for some reason, he often gives the impression he is just the sort of guy I would hate if we knew each other in real life. All that said though, he is a mighty fine batsman who has done a really good job as the captain of his side and tasted some of the most amazing success that any English captain would have tasted, ever. England will miss his captaincy, I feel, even though I dont really think he is a great captain.
I like him as a cricketer but think he's too boring and would rather watch paint dry. Only thing I disliked with his captaincy was the handling of the whole KP thing. It was Stauss and Flower KP had a problem with(major ones at least) and he should have walked right back into the side under Cook. The second time, I mean.

I am sure he did his best but he should have done more. You aren't supposed to be friends with everyone in the locker room, your job as a captain is to win and KP's axing was detrimental to that goal.

Last edited:

vcs

Obviously wanted to avoid the South Africa jinx.

Will be interesting to see how Root handles it. If anything I think the extra responsibility might give him the kick up the arse he needs to stop throwing away big scores.
You'd think they'd have kept him on if that was the case (if he was seen as a dead man walking, anyway). Now they'll probably lose Root also. :D

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Saw someone rightly mention that he had the ***iest review signal. Had it nailed down by the end.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Doesn't seem unexpected, he was making very non commital noises about the captaincy before the India tour.

Hopefully he's got a few more years left in the ranks.