• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh in India 2017

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sure, but that's because Shami is actually good.

It comes down to the pitches, really. You'd think on flatter pitches, an extra bowler would come on handy to handle a larger workload to prevent the others from breaking down, but in Mumbai which was extremely flat, the two pacers bowled 30 overs between them in both innings combined.

If the pitches turn, then there's no doubt an extra batsman would be worth plenty more than a second pacer/third spinner.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
The problem with this is that in most of the tests were Jayant has played, one of the pacers has usually been a complete passenger. Umesh barely bowled in one of the games. It's just a waste of a spot. If you're going to go with 5 bowlers and one of them is hardly given a meaningful number of overs, it's a pointless strategy. You can get much more value by adding another batsman instead.
But if the lone pacer you have gets a niggle, for eg Shami, you are pretty much screwed in the fast bowling department, whereas having two provides cover.. and pitches recently have had a bit of assistance for the faster bowlers, particularly the uneven bounce has caused enough trouble against the pacers..

Jayant can average 25+ with bat and do a handy job with ball, which in total clearly outweighs the potential 40+ avg by Nair.

But yes compared to a faster man like Umesh, it's arguably better to play Nair, however, I'd still have Umesh in case the wicket ends up having assistance for the faster bowlers and/or there's reverse swing.. plus the guy can consistently bowl in the mid 140s along with Shami.

In large majority of the innings, you'd find at least one bowler out of 4 or 5 bowlers not bowling well.. and if it happens to be Ashwin, you have Jayant who can contribute or if it happens to be Shami, you want to have someone else to go to like Umesh or Bhuvi who can step it up.. That way, it's a complete bowling unit, covered for most scenarios and contingencies and it's more effective as the faster bowlers can have quick sharp bursts.. It's worked wonderfully so far. The two games where England scored a lot were the 1st & the last game where the 5th bowler was the undesirable Mishra...who didn't cover up for below par Ashwin. I'd take a batsman over Mishra almost everytime.

The batting does appear not as solid with 5 bowlers but there's depth to compensate for that, and you want to win, especially when you are expected to win every game against the Aussies, so any defensive approach like lengthening the batting at expense of bowling should be avoided, unless it's a bunsen. But we are unlikely to get any bunsen with Kumble the head coach & with India having already done well on good pitches. It's only if India lose on a good pitch, will they consider a big turner..otherwise we are bound to get pitches which are good for batting first-up, which once again points towards 5 bowler strategy..
Karun Nair is a spud anyway with clear weaknesses. If Shami is unfit, then it will not be ideal to play someone like Ishant who seemed to have lost the edge after his illness..

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Nair was all at sea on the Mumbai spinning pitch and he really rode his luck on the Chennai road..
I don't see him playing against Aus unless Rahane makes a fool of himself against the Bangers, in which case Nair will be back into contention.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Wait ****s, Rohit should be coming back from injury too. This should be good.

Rahane will be dropped for Rohit, most probably.:laugh:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Vijay Shankar has belted them at a strike rate of about 130 for his hundred too. RIP Ban. Miraz went for 90 odd off 16 overs too. Damn, when is ***** coming back?:laugh:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think BD have a very good chance of pulling off an one off upset victory here. Remember all we need is one bad session to lose a test and there are no comebacks here. Fearing the worst tbh. :(

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Imrul kayes likely to be dropped going by the card for the 2nd innings. Soumya is in good form so he's my first choice as well despite Imrul making some runs in tests in the last season. Would like to see Mullah getting dropped as well and maybe Liton taking his place and also that would help Mushfiq not to take the gloves but Mushfiq obviously wont let this happen because of sense of insecurity.

1. Tamim
2. Soumya
3. Mominul
4. Mushfiq
5. Shakib
6. Shabbir
7. Liton +
8. Miraz
9. Taijul
10. Rabbi
11. Taskin

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I think BD have a very good chance of pulling off an one off upset victory here. Remember all we need is one bad session to lose a test and there are no comebacks here. Fearing the worst tbh. :(
I remember you saying this before every single Indian series :)

Shri

Mr. Glass
Yeah and its annoying. No one is beating us at home for the next seven years at least. That's when our core batsmen will be in their mid 30s and going past their primes. We have nothing to worry about until then.

Daemon

Imrul kayes likely to be dropped going by the card for the 2nd innings. Soumya is in good form so he's my first choice as well despite Imrul making some runs in tests in the last season. Would like to see Mullah getting dropped as well and maybe Liton taking his place and also that would help Mushfiq not to take the gloves but Mushfiq obviously wont let this happen because of sense of insecurity.

1. Tamim
2. Soumya
3. Mominul
4. Mushfiq
5. Shakib
6. Shabbir
7. Liton +
8. Miraz
9. Taijul
10. Rabbi
11. Taskin
Haha what, surely they wouldn't drop Imrul?

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Haha what, surely they wouldn't drop Imrul?
Harsh but he keeps getting out pulling. He isnt any different though from the rest. In addition he drops catches. I have just read that he got injured again thus didnot come out to bat and out of the tour as well.

vcs

Nair favourite to get dropped after a triple ton. Heady times for Indian cricket, LOL. :)

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
If BCCI was sensible then they would've added an additional 3 ODIs for this tour. 1 test doesn't really constitute a tour: more like an insult if you ask me. India are strong favourites to win this, and they should considering they are the #1 ranked side. Key players within the Bangladesh ranks will be Mushfiqur, Shakib and Liton I feel. I was very impressed with the way Mushfiqur has batted in that New Zealand tour. His century to me looks far more classy and composed compared to the double 100 Shakib has scored. Bangladesh's bowling looks weak and too inexperienced for my liking.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Till the beginning of the England series, Rahane averaged 20 more than any other international batsman in test cricket in 2016 with 500+ runs. He still averaged 55 over 2016.

He's had one bad series.