• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Complete overhaul of scheduling from 2019; Test/ODI/T20 leagues

Spark

Global Moderator
Big tstl.

New cricket calendar aims to give all formats more context | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

If the CEC proposals are eventually approved in April, then from 2019 onwards cricket may see a rolling two-year Test league comprising a 9-3 format where the top nine Test countries compete among themselves and against the three lower-ranked teams comprising Zimbabwe and most likely Ireland and Afghanistan, depending on whether they earn Test status. It is understood the CEC also approved a three-year, 13-team ODI league, the culmination of which will see qualification for the 50-over World Cup, and a system of regional qualification tournaments through which teams attempt to qualify for a World T20.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How will they go about standardizing the lengths of the series and the number of matches different teams play against each other? And then you have so many constraints like India-Pak not playing each other, Pak not being able to play at home, Australia-England have to play 5 matches series only, nobody wanting to play Bangladesh, etc..

OverratedSanity

And then you have so many constraints like India-Pak not playing each other
This is the most intriguing thing for me. Surely the league system would be pointless if two teams aren't playing each other. God, I hope they work something out.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
How will they go about standardizing the lengths of the series and the number of matches different teams play against each other? And then you have so many constraints like India-Pak not playing each other, Pak not being able to play at home, Australia-England have to play 5 matches series only, nobody wanting to play Bangladesh, etc..
All of these were addressed in the article....

The duration of the series will be up to the members - even a one-off Test can be considered a series. The system of how points will be awarded, given that each series will not be of the same length, is yet to be worked out. The home and away stipulation is such that, if, for example, New Zealand tours Sri Lanka in the first two-year league cycle, then in the following one Sri Lanka will tour New Zealand. If one team refuses to play another - as has been the case with India playing Pakistan - they will forfeit points. Full Members will retain the power to schedule bilateral series should they wish outside of this league structure.
As for Pakistan not being able to play at home, don't think that is much of an obstacle, for the time being they've made their home in the UAE and whilst it's far from ideal it seems to be working OK.

Terrific idea and nothing to fault in any of it.........which almost certainly means it will not get passed and will never happen.

Zinzan

I can't see it making much difference for nations outside the top 3 than it does now. To think a 1 Test series constitutes a series is absurd if the Test championship is actually supposed to be meaningful in any way.

So business as usual then.

Complete overhaul, yeah right.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah I can see the logistical sense in it. Obviously as cricket fans we see it differently, but from a financial pov I think they have to have that allowance to ensure the likes of Zimb, Afg and Ire etc get the tours. Realistically these sides are never gonna get a 3 test series in Aus for eg.......but if they can get 1 or maybe even two tests it will be a vast improvement on how the FTP has been for the last decade or more.

Burner

International Regular
Yeah 1 is infinitely superior to the zero that they currently get. You add that together and they form a reasonable number.

TheJediBrah

Doesn't really look like much of a change for the major teams tbh, except for the test league thing

Zinzan

Nah I can see the logistical sense in it. Obviously as cricket fans we see it differently, but from a financial pov I think they have to have that allowance to ensure the likes of Zimb, Afg and Ire etc get the tours. Realistically these sides are never gonna get a 3 test series in Aus for eg.......but if they can get 1 or maybe even two tests it will be a vast improvement on how the FTP has been for the last decade or more.
For teams like SL, NZ, WI, & possibly even SA, it will essentially be business as usual.

Incidentally, I heard Stephen Fleming interviewed recently suggesting as much as he loves Test cricket, that a side like NZ, who at best will only ever reach no 2 or 3 in the world for a short time due to their lack of resources, said he wouldn't be surprised if they pulled out of Tests in the future & concentrated on ODIs and T20s which they are probably naturally better at. Quite a scary interview to listen to for a Test lover like myself.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
The only way this works though is if they get India and Pakistan to sort their **** out.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
For teams like SL, NZ, WI, & possibly even SA, it will essentially be business as usual.

Incidentally, I heard Stephen Fleming interviewed recently suggesting as much as he loves Test cricket, that a side like NZ, who at best will only ever reach no 2 or 3 in the world for a short time due to their lack of resources, said he wouldn't be surprised if they pulled out of Tests in the future & concentrated on ODIs and T20s which they are probably naturally better at. Quite a scary interview to listen to for a Test lover like myself.
It's the type of unambitious nonsense Buchanan was spouting when he was with NZC.

vcs

All of these were addressed in the article....

As for Pakistan not being able to play at home, don't think that is much of an obstacle, for the time being they've made their home in the UAE and whilst it's far from ideal it seems to be working OK.

Terrific idea and nothing to fault in any of it.........which almost certainly means it will not get passed and will never happen.
They've updated the article since yesterday. :)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think a two year cycle for tests is a wee bit ambitious maybe, especially if there's to be any hopes of the newbs getting a test against the big boys (although geographical convenience could mean teams touring England could pop over to Dublin or Belfast for one off games), but otherwise it's unequivocal good news.