• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dreadful series/matches by good/great players

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I do remember NZ saying that was their plan but McGrath’s economy rate that series was the highest of any Test series he bowled in from 2000 to 2004 so they weren’t just blocking him all day.
Indeed, that's because they forced a frustrated McGrath to bowl more at the stumps & picked him off. I'll never forget how frustrated McGrath's body language was that series, and that's saying a lot.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Re: Dravid in Oz 11/12, that wasn’t even the worst Test series he had in Oz. His 1999/00 series was worse where he averaged almost 10 runs less and had a series strike rate that was the lowest of his career.

In 11/12 he had at least a good innings in Melbourne and fought very hard in the 2nd innings in Perth. 99/00 was just a wipeout.

vcs

Kohli in England in 2014, can't believe it hasn't got a mention yet.

Lara had a shocking series against SA in the late '90s, think they lost 5-0 and there was some turmoil among the board and players at that time.

OverratedSanity

Ponting's last series vs SA (insert Ponting falling flat on his face gif)
Tendulkar in SL 2008 (ie) the DRS series
Clarke's last couple of series
Kohli in England
Warne vs WI 1999. Got dropped for Colin. Miller. And rightly so. Steve Waugh WAFG.

OverratedSanity

Re: Dravid in Oz 11/12, that wasn’t even the worst Test series he had in Oz. His 1999/00 series was worse where he averaged almost 10 runs less and had a series strike rate that was the lowest of his career.

In 11/12 he had at least a good innings in Melbourne and fought very hard in the 2nd innings in Perth. 99/00 was just a wipeout.
He was never that great at handling bounce off a length. In 99/00 he just got done by great bowling. In 2011/12,while the bowling was really good, it was the manner of dismissals that was sad to watch. Just kept playing around straight deliveries.

Zinzan

Zaheer Abbas, every series he visited NZ. 7 tests in NZ, average of 19.

J_C

U19 Captain
Vijay Hazare's last Test series. Averaged 19 in 5 Tests in the WI. Career average went from 55 to 47 :(

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Dravid heading into Aus in 99 was nowhere near the player that Dravid was heading into 2011/12 series (i.e. when he was coming off the back of the Eng tour) - both in respect of form, capability and reputation. So his failure in 99/2000, whilst worse statistically, was nowhere near what this thread is about. He wasn't a "great" in 99.

Burgey

Yeah. After his 03/04 and 06/07 tours, was sad to see him geting bowled all the time like he did last the last tour here.

vcs

He was never that great at handling bounce off a length. In 99/00 he just got done by great bowling. In 2011/12,while the bowling was really good, it was the manner of dismissals that was sad to watch. Just kept playing around straight deliveries.
Sachin's last few series were also pretty painful to watch. He got owned by Boult, Anderson, Lyon etc. while Pujara and co. were piling on the runs at home.

Burgey

Yeah but he only played on to get the hundredth hundred. He knew they'd never drop him no matter how badly he went. It was pretty selfish imho.

Zinzan

Yeah but he only played on to get the hundredth hundred. He knew they'd never drop him no matter how badly he went. It was pretty selfish imho.
You don't think he'd have been dropped if he decided to play on for another 12 months averaging 25 for example?

Burgey

There's no way he' would ever have been dropped. Might have got a private call and asked to retire, but I severely doubt they'd ever have done so. Just my view as a total outsider, obviously.

vcs

There's no way he' would ever have been dropped. Might have got a private call and asked to retire, but I severely doubt they'd ever have done so. Just my view as a total outsider, obviously.
Yeah it was tough to watch. I suspect that's how they would have gone about it IMO if things became too untenable.

BTW, he carried on for a year and a half in Tests after he got his 100th 100. That was just him thinking he was good enough, when he actually wasn't. Happens to many greats. No selfishness involved.

Burgey

Yeah it was tough to watch. I suspect that's how they would have gone about it IMO if things became too untenable.

BTW, he carried on for a year and a half in Tests after he got his 100th 100. That was just him thinking he was good enough, when he actually wasn't. Happens to many greats. No selfishness involved.
Fair point well made.