• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ICC Code of Conduct - exploding the myths

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Graeme Smith and Andre Nel have both just received fines for breaching the code in the ongoing Test in New Zealand (a fact that has not been very widely reported I note)

Since it's introduction, more South Africans than any other country have been penalised under it, yet not once have I seen anyone from South Africa moaning about it.

Apparently, South Africa are on the half that is being treated better than the others - but that isn't borne out by the facts...

Loony BoB

International Captain
Apparently, South Africa are on the half that is being treated better than the others

What do you mean?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Loony BoB said:
Apparently, South Africa are on the half that is being treated better than the others

What do you mean?
There have been any number of posts in recent days and weeks bemoaning inherent racism in the ICC, claiming that players like Shoaib and Murali are continually being singled out, whereas South Africa, England, Aussie and NZ are immune.

Someone insinuated that if Glenn McGrath had been from Asia blah blah you get the picture.

Me? I think it's all nonsense.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Ah, that stuff. *shrugs* Chances are half of the punishments they're dealt are from umpires/referees of their own "group" anyway. =P People always whine about this stuff.

What interests me is the actual Smith/Nel thing. What were they fined for?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
There have been any number of posts in recent days and weeks bemoaning inherent racism in the ICC, claiming that players like Shoaib and Murali are continually being singled out, whereas South Africa, England, Aussie and NZ are immune.

Someone insinuated that if Glenn McGrath had been from Asia blah blah you get the picture.

Me? I think it's all nonsense.
Whoever says that ICC is racist is an idiot. ICC may be inconsistent but not racist. The reason for ICC's inconsistency is because of the different personalities of Match Refs. For example - G Vishwanath can be more forgiving than someone like Clive Lloyd who is very strict.

Langeveldt

Soutie
marc71178 said:

Since it's introduction, more South Africans than any other country have been penalised under it, yet not once have I seen anyone from South Africa moaning about it.

Oh noooo.. Just you watch... They will be up in arms against the match referee... And then they will go and veto the next test match if somethings not done about it.. and then they will be relieved when everyone lets them off....

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Re: Re: The ICC Code of Conduct - exploding the myths

Langeveldt said:
Oh noooo.. Just you watch... They will be up in arms against the match referee... And then they will go and veto the next test match if somethings not done about it.. and then they will be relieved when everyone lets them off....
Sorry Rich, but that was India... ;)

Raj123

U19 Debutant
Apparently, South Africa are on the half that is being treated better than the others - but that isn't borne out by the facts...
if you remember SA cricket board went against the advice of icc and participated in an "illegal" test match. so, i dont know where you got this idea from.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Raj123 said:
if you remember SA cricket board went against the advice of icc and participated in an "illegal" test match. so, i dont know where you got this idea from.
I'm going on what some people have claimed on here, when it is clearly not true.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Raj123 said:
It wasn't an illegal test match... They just agreed to play an FC match so the UCBSA wouldn't lose out on so much money i presume....

Anyway it was the Indian's, not the South Africans who were at fault, shockingly irresponsible and self centred, just because they disagreed with a match referee... Im afraid we are going to see similar again...