• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can Pathan be as good as Wasim?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
imranrabb said:
He can never be as good as Akram,bowlers like him come around once every millenium.All Pathan does is swing it one way at a pace of 80 mph but at his age he should be bowling at the late 80s.Didnt Nehra and Khan also get compared to Akram.:lol: :lol:
Sorry, the implications of 'one a millenium' are that Wasim Akram was the greatest fast bowler ever - he wasn't.

But you're right about comparisons between the two being silly.

shankar

International Debutant
imranrabb said:
All Pathan does is swing it one way at a pace of 80 mph
:O His biggest asset is that he can swing it both ways. On the 4'th day even when the ball was old and reverse-swinging he swung it both ways which was how he got Moin's wicket.

indianreligion

School Boy/Girl Captain
apparently irfan pathan, after winning the 1st test was waiting to meet imran khan....who did not notice him and drove away with his friends.
later, when pathan saw imran with a few of his friends at tea he "felt free" to go and ask him for tips.(and wasted an hour or so of imran's time)
imran later told the newspapers that he had always thought of irfan as chhota Akram (young akram) but he thot that one thing abt pathan was great...that despite the fact that he was doing so well, he still wanted to improve.

my views: BULLCRAP!!!
except maybe....that despite the fact that he was doing so well, he still wanted to improve. ...i think that will on the long run work 4 him.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
Sorry, the implications of 'one a millenium' are that Wasim Akram was the greatest fast bowler ever - he wasn't.

I think he meant for a country.

masterblaster

International Captain
For one, I would like Irfan Pathan to be the next Irfan Pathan, rather than the next Wasim Akram.

He has so much potential, its difficult to ignore. Akram will always be the only Wasim Akram, and India doesn't need an Akram junior, we need the one and only, the original Irfan Pathan.

indianreligion

School Boy/Girl Captain
masterblaster said:
For one, I would like Irfan Pathan to be the next Irfan Pathan, rather than the next Wasim Akram.

He has so much potential, its difficult to ignore. Akram will always be the only Wasim Akram, and India doesn't need an Akram junior, we need the one and only, the original Irfan Pathan.
makes sense...

Imran was full of prasie for Pathan and said that he reminded him of "Akram when he was young", i.e the same attitude towards the game.

Imran also give valuable suggestions to Pathn. I think the great Pak bowlers in Imran and Akram are realising fast that the balance of pace has now shifted towards India and now its India that is prducing quality pacers instead of Pakistan.

Hope Akram and co continue to help the world's best upcomming talents.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
ajaagarkarajaaja said:
now its India that is prducing quality pacers instead of Pakistan.
Based on what?

1 game where the Pakistani seamers didn't fire and Kumble did?

Sehwag309

Banned
Akram is class Apart. But Cricket needs bowlers who can become like him, he may or may not have the potential but the talk of him comparing to Wasim is an honour itself

Umair316

Cricket Spectator
ajaagarkarajaaja said:
Imran also give valuable suggestions to Pathn. I think the great Pak bowlers in Imran and Akram are realising fast that the balance of pace has now shifted towards India and now its India that is prducing quality pacers instead of Pakistan.

Hope Akram and co continue to help the world's best upcomming talents. [/B]
You absolutely make no sense what so ever, and you are judging by result of one match?
Indian bowling is improving more then ever but they are still miles behind the current Pakistani bowling.
If we were to pick and choose the results of matches to determine the class of bowlers of batsmen, then I can easily pick India's misfortunes in Perth ODI where they were decimated by the Aussies.
In that sense, India doesn't have a good bowling lineup.

Coming back to Irfan Pathan, its too hard to tell, he is a very impressive bowler, but if he can just increase his pace a little bit, he will trouble all sorts of batsmen.
But he is only 19, lets see how far he goes.

Umair316 said:

Indian bowling is improving more then ever but they are still miles behind the current Pakistani bowling.

Yes they are miles behind, miles behind conceding tons of runs without getting opponent out even once!

Umair316

Cricket Spectator
ajaagarkarajaaja said:
Yes they are miles behind, miles behind conceding tons of runs without getting opponent out even once!
On what basis can you make the claim?
By looking at the result of past 5 ODIs and Test match?
Just go back and look at the careers of the Pakistani bowlers and compare it to the Indian bowlers.
How many times Indian bowlers have won their team series abroad.
Do you want to know how your team suffered in new Zealand, where Pakistan just won.

My point is, don't look at the results for 1 or 2 games, just look at the overall performance.
Indian bowling is good but inexperienced, and way behind Pak.

Raj123

U19 Debutant
Indian bowling is good but inexperienced, and way behind Pak.
i agree with you that pak attack is better but only due to the akhtar factor which gives them the edge (but certainly not by a long way).

i mean:
sami- avg:45, SR-80. even Ajit has a better record than this.
shabbir-7 matches. 3 against bang.., 1 against india(wicketless), and yes 3 good matches(2 in nz). you can barely judge him yet.
danish- good spinner. nothing more.

so(a bit tacky explanation below, but i hope you get what i mean)
sami=ajit
shabbir+danish = nehra+kumble
that leaves out akhtar and pathan. and yes akthar obviously has the edge.

imranrabb

U19 Debutant
Raj123 said:
i agree with you that pak attack is better but only due to the akhtar factor which gives them the edge (but certainly not by a long way).

i mean:
sami- avg:45, SR-80. even Ajit has a better record than this.
shabbir-7 matches. 3 against bang.., 1 against india(wicketless), and yes 3 good matches(2 in nz). you can barely judge him yet.
danish- good spinner. nothing more.

so(a bit tacky explanation below, but i hope you get what i mean)
sami=ajit
Sami has only started his career and his record is bound to get better.Comparing him to Ajit is a joke,i would compare him to a bangladeshi bowler:lol:

Raj123

U19 Debutant
i was being a bit soft on sami and compared him to Ajit, but if you want go ahead and humiliate him by comparing him to bangla bowlers.:lol: :lol: :lol:

2000/01- 2matches@30
2001/02 - 1match@27
2002/03- 6@52
2003/04- 4@55

i can see exactly how his avg. would go down and in few years he would be right up there with the best:lol: :lol: :lol:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
imranrabb said:
Sami has only started his career and his record is bound to get better.Comparing him to Ajit is a joke,i would compare him to a bangladeshi bowler:lol:
Funnily enough, this sort of argument doesn't count when the bowler is Harmison.

shankar

International Debutant
Raj123 said:

sami=ajit
Kumble = shabbir + danish - nehra !!!!:O how?