• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can Pathan be as good as Wasim?

Craig

World Traveller
Top_Cat said:
Lee was clocked at 149km/h at 18 with an average of 143km/h; Wasim was super-fast in his early days and I believe Shoaib bowled mid-140's consistently at 18. Shaun Tait was even clocked at 144km/h at 17 (I was there for that one).
Out of curioristy how many overs did Lee bowl for over how many days?

This obviously wasnt a one or two day affair.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Out of curioristy how many overs did Lee bowl for over how many days?

This obviously wasnt a one or two day affair.
I'd led to believe that was in the Australian U/19's comp the second year he played for NSW. His reputation for speed had been long known (he was known as the quicket school-level fast bowler at Punchbowl High since Jeff Thompson went through there) and they wanted to see just how quick he was. Considering he was 18, they were a tad surprised at his speed. They weren't surprised when two years later, he broke down with stress fractures in his back.

Craig

World Traveller
And has since suffered further back injuries.

I guess Lee's action wasnt as front on as it was then at 18.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
In Tests and ODI's, Pathan can bat at 7 or 8, since that's a least risk position, given the team's batting strength. Some of the shots he plays are clean shots, not streaky edges that a so-called all-rounder in the Indian team plays. Besides, he is a hard hitter of the ball, unlike most illustrious Indian batsmen in this team. There is a lot of potential and that has to be used fully. Talent is nothing without opportunity. He may not be as good as Akram- that man was great- but he's close to Cairns, if anyone. I hope he does not get injured as frequently. There's the saying- catch them young. They lost the batting talent of Kumble and Srinath, they should not lose his. He has the skills, so they should be used.

He should not try to bowl at express pace, he should just keep to the higher 130's and 140's consistently and more importantly, use that pace to good effect. He should be used in short bursts, otherwise he'd get worn out. Besides, he needs support from the other end, and how well Agarkar and Balaji can do it, is yet to be seen.

marc71178 said:
You what?

Based on what is he "certainly the best"?

Based on his current performance, and i'm not saying atht he's the best pacer around, all i'm saying is that he's the best UPCOMMING pacer!

I'd say actually it's more just an embarassment as far as pace bowlers are concerned...

Oh sure, Pathan,Zaheer and Ajit are truly embaressing

Do you honestly believe that?

I wonder how many of these would make other Test sides?

:rolleyes:

Pathan and Khan would easily find a place in many test sides.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
ajaagarkarajaaja said:
Pathan and Khan would easily find a place in many test sides.
Australia: No
England: No
Pakistan: No
South Africa: No
New Zealand: Not when all fit.

But yes, Zimbabe and Bangladesh would welcome them...

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I am just waiting for ajaagarkarajaaja to delare that Irfan is better than Akram (If he hasn't already done that).

Irfan has miles to go before he can even touch Akram's class.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sanz said:
I am just waiting for ajaagarkarajaaja to delare that Irfan is better than Akram (If he hasn't already done that).

Irfan has miles to go before he can even touch Akram's class.
Very, very true.

He is an exceptional prospect and people are right to compare him to Wasim Akram. All young all-rounders should be - just to give them some idea of how far they have to go.

Can he be as good? Well, players of Akram's standard come along for a side once in a generation, so it's unlikely.

marc71178 said:
Australia: No
England: No
Pakistan: No
South Africa: No
New Zealand: Not when all fit.

But yes, Zimbabe and Bangladesh would welcome them...
Agreed on Aus, Eng and SA but NOT ON REST.

Khan and Pathan are certainly better than Shabbir and Sami. (BTW everytime i see Shabbir's stupid face when he get smashed out of ground it remind me of his beloved fan , i.e YOU)

If not for Pathan, ZK can easily find a place in NZ team too.

When has i ever said that ? I never disputed Akram's greatness as a bowler so your remarks were asinine really.

Pathan may NEVER become the bowler that Akram was, but that doesn't mean that Pathan cannot become a class pacer in future.

Taufeeq Umar

Cricket Spectator
Everyone is just over rating Pathan, he got wickets of Afridi consistently which is no big deal as Afridi's wicket is always in the bag, Youhanna i must say was completely clueless in front of him but thats all he only troubled these two batsmen.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
ajaagarkarajaaja said:
Khan and Pathan are certainly better than Shabbir and Sami. (BTW everytime i see Shabbir's stupid face when he get smashed out of ground it remind me of his beloved fan , i.e YOU)
What's your obsession with me being a fan of Shabbir?!!!

I'd take those 2 over Pathan and Khan for sure though - they've actually done something in International Cricket for a start.

ajaagarkarajaaja said:
If not for Pathan, ZK can easily find a place in NZ team too.
And if not for the the others such as Bond, Cairns, Oram, Tuffey, Martin as well, all of whom are better than those 2.

thehellraiser

School Boy/Girl Captain
for me pathan is an overrated player(as most indian players are).

he only got youhanas wicket once in the odi series...the umpire dismissed youhana in the final match....shocking shocking decision........

thehellraiser

School Boy/Girl Captain
and there is no point to this post.........akram is a legend and comparing a mediocore bowler like pathan is an insult to akram.

if thsi is the case than hameed should be compared to tendulkar.....i know this might upset a lot of people....but that is exactly my point......u cannot have any hope in comparing a guy like pathan to akram.

chaminda vaas is a much better left arm pacer than pathan.....

its just like te indian media to hype up a player one he has had a good day.(luckily)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
thehellraiser said:
for me pathan is an overrated player(as most indian players are).

he only got youhanas wicket once in the odi series...the umpire dismissed youhana in the final match....shocking shocking decision........
Whilst I sort-of agree that there is too much hype surrounding Pathan, your throwaway remark in parentheses is A1 grade 1 flame bait.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
While Pathan has shown himself to be a good prospect, it is ridiculous at this point to speculate on whether he will reach Akram's standard. Akram is the greatest left-arm fast bowler ever while Pathan is just a rookie with promise right now.

PY

International Coach
nehrafan said:
Waseem wasn't much of a batsman when he started his cricket, Pathan in contrast has shown ability with bat.Also Waseem never took his batting seriously, he wasn't a tryue allrounder, Pathan in contrast can establish himself as a genuine allrounder.
It takes some kind of quality and seriousness to have double hundred to your name in a Test match plus 2 other centuries and an average of over 20.

I would argue that maybe he wasn't a genuine all-rounder as he couldn't get in for either discipline. But then again, can you see Pathan getting in on his batting alone? I think not.

Last edited:

shankar

International Debutant
I agree that it's ridiculous to speculate abt. whether pathan will be as good as Akram.But, some people here seem to suggest that he's a mediocre bowler,all hype and that there's no reason to be excited abt. him.This I don't agree with.
At 19 this guy swings the ball both ways with great control (which is the hard part). I heard Imran Khan say today that even Wasim took some time to develop the inswinger to the left-hander when he started. He bowls well with the old ball. He's got wickets of great batsmen like S.Waugh,Gilchrist,Hayden at crucial points in the match. He has a fantastic temperement.He comes back after he gets hit for fours and pitches the ball up bravely. He'll most likely bowl faster in a couple of years.Every ex-cricketer that's come across him's been impressed.So there's definitely cause for Indian fans to be excited abt. him.