• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aussie All-Rounders - Article Critique

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree with you Andre.

I think they HAVE to stick with Watson now, he's been give the "special case" stamp on his file and it would be silly for Australia to dump him.

Theres no question that Symonds has a great arm & can pull off some fantastic saves, however his bowling is probably not good enough to classify him as an all-rounder.
I think Shane Lee & Shane Watson will probably get picked.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Being the South Aussie I am I can almost feel the bile rising up my thrat as I type this but here goes:

Brad Young the best left-arm spinner in the land?? I beg to differ! Oldroyd, Hogg and Higgs I would put above him. Xavier Doherty and Shannon Tubb will be much better too. Brad's problem is that he bowls far too flat and hasn't developed much in the way of drift to be considered a top-line spin bowler, which is reflected in his Pura Cup stats:

50 matches, 135 wickets @ 44.37

5 five-fors
0 ten-fors

That's an awfully long time to persevere with someone who is consistently underperforming. Unfortunately the SA selectors seem to want to take the focus of his bowling and turn him into more of an all-rounder. His bowling has suffered because of this.

In short Brad bowls many overs for little reward because of his lack of variation among other things. Personally, I think it's time SA looked elsewhere for a front-line spinner.

Other than that, well done.

[Edited on 6/24/02 by Top_Cat]

Top_Cat

I think they HAVE to stick with Watson now, he's been give the "special case" stamp on his file and it would be silly for Australia to dump him.
I agree. Same should be done with someone like Nathan Hauritz. He's easily the best off-spinning prospect we've seen in years.

Theres no question that Symonds has a great arm & can pull off some fantastic saves, however his bowling is probably not good enough to classify him as an all-rounder.
I agree. Symonds should NEVER have been tried at international level as an all-rounder. He's always been a batsman first and foremost and should have been treated as such. I mean what a waste of such a talented player. You don't hit 16 sixes in 254 at first-class level without being something VERY special.

I think Shane Lee & Shane Watson will probably get picked.
Shane Lee will need a pretty decent domestic season for that to happen. Personally I think they'll only go with one genuine all-ounder and pick an extra bowler, especially on the South African pitches.

Andre

International Regular
Brad Young the best left-arm spinner in the land??
Well, I did say arguably :D. Stats are not always the best reflection of a player. But anyway, Olroyd got sacked by W.A. (lost his contract), which I thought was interesting as I rate him highly too. I agree though that Young does bowl to flat, but maybe he could be handy at ODI level. All he would have to do is keep runs down, which is easy enough when you bowl flat.

Top_Cat

I agree though that Young does bowl to flat, but maybe he could be handy at ODI level. All he would have to do is keep runs down, which is easy enough when you bowl flat.
Especially with the new 'defensive' approach by the Aussies.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
Great article Andre...

My predictions for World Cup tickets: Shane Watson, Ian Harvey and Steve Waugh

Reasons (let's hope these hold up)...

Shane Watson - because the selectors have shown faith in him and I think he'll begin to fire in the next Pakisan series and make an impact when England and Ski Lanka tour. Needs to be consistent, however. Showed fighting spirt in last game of Super Challenge - needs more of that.

Ian Harvey - probably the best ODI bowler of these all-rounders - and has proved it over the years. It would be good for Ian to perhaps develop as a pinch-hitter role, or as a guy who can be relied on to hang around for a while. He just needs to stay on the scene and not to disappear down the ranks with the rise of Shane Watson i.e. like Damien Fleming, Colin Miller.

Steve Waugh - ok....
Mr S. Waugh is a pretty determined bloke, and while 99% of crickers say he'll never come back to the one-day scene, I'm part of the 1% who thinks he's still got some legs. I think that Steve Waugh will come back to his best form at first-class level this coming season, and while will always be a batsman, could probably pair up with Lehmann in bowling 10 overs between them. But above all, (while they don't always show it) I think the selectors have a heart and if Waugh shows some potential, the selectors will give him a ticket. If nothing else, his experience and presence on the field has to make the team look stronger.

Another way to think about it is from the opposition's point of view... would they rather in the Australian team include...

- an inexperienced and no-doubt intimitated guy who has proved his abilities with the bat and ball at first class level but "has potential"

or...

- an experienced guy with a good slower ball but a mug with the bat

or...

- the most experienced ODI player for Australia, a proven batsman at any level and (possibly) a handy bowler.

Hmmmm...... ;)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Harvey is a good bowler, but its getting to the point where they would have to start calling Harvey just a bowler as his highest score is only 47*.

I find it quite unbelievable that Australia cannot find a suitable all-rounder yet just a few hours away in New Zealand we are currently blessed with all-rounders, mind you..we do lack opening batsmen.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Shane Lee is by far the best, esp with the bat - Sym onds and Harvey are both handy with the ball but have never done much at ODI level with the bat

Top_Cat

Sym onds and Harvey are both handy with the ball but have never done much at ODI level with the bat
Bit hard when the highest you bat at the best of times is no. 7...........:)

Believe me, Andy Symonds can bat and is more talented than most players. He just hasn't been given enough of a go as a pure batsman with either Australia OR Queensland.