• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SRT vs Dravid

Best test batsman for India

• Sachin tendulkar

Votes: 20 47.6%
  • Rahul dravid

Votes: 19 45.2%
  • VVS laxman

Votes: 3 7.1%

• Total voters

Craig

World Traveller
Anil said:
Tendulkar is the greatest Indian batsmen ever and one of the greatest batsmen ever in world cricket. We have had several greats in the batting dept. For example, Gavaskar would be a clear second in the batting polls for India as things stand now. Rahul Dravid and possibly Laxman, I am sure would join other Indian batting greats like Vishwanath, Vengsarkar, Mankad......etc by the end of his career, but as far as disturbing the all-time 1 and 2 batting spots for India, I don't see anyone on the horizon with a chance of doing that.
I would put Sunil Gavaskar right up there with SRT.

Remember he did score runs against the likes of Marshall, Holding, Roberts, Croft, Garner, Lillee, Hadlee. etc.

Beleg

International Regular
Craig posted,

Remember he did score runs against the likes of Marshall, Holding, Roberts, Croft, Garner, Lillee, Hadlee. etc.
And Sachin also scored runs against the likes of Wasim, Waqar, Donald, McGrath, Warne, Murlitharan, Ambrose, Walsh, Donald and Gough, a very respectble bunch by any standard.

For me Sachin plays equally well in both forms of the game something which Gavaskar either lacked or didn't get the chance to prove.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm on the side of Sachin being marginally more effective than Sunil Gavaskar (with Dravid in third place), but alas we will never know for sure.

Craig

World Traveller
Beleg said:
And Sachin also scored runs against the likes of Wasim, Waqar, Donald, McGrath, Warne, Murlitharan, Ambrose, Walsh, Donald and Gough, a very respectble bunch by any standard.
True but what I tend to go for Gavaskar is that he lead from the front when India was in trouble and had to face the new ball.

tooextracool

International Coach
Craig said:
True but what I tend to go for Gavaskar is that he lead from the front when India was in trouble and had to face the new ball.
i tend to agree with craig. tendulkar has on too many occasions crumbled in big match situations and generally opening the batting is a lot harder than coming in at 4 especially in the days when you had those WI fast bowlers coming in at you on seaming,bouncing wickets, instead of the flat ones we see these days

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:

He did. I am not trying to devalue Gavaskar's efforts one bit, I am a huge fan of his, but Gavaskar with his impeccable technique was more of a match saver than a match winner and even though the odd innings still stands out in mind, he never could come to terms completely with one day cricket. Tendulkar possesses a far wider array of strokes and he also has an immaculate technique although maybe not as perfect as Sunny who was the master technician.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Dravid is in the league of an elite group of 'great batsmen' of test cricket. Picking between greats is usually difficult.. more so when they have parallel incomplete careers..

Tendulkar started playing 7 years before Dravid did, albeit at the young age of 15/16. I would still rate Tendulkar higher but in the end, a great batsman is a joy to watch.. which holds good for both these players..

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
India, with Dravid, Tendulkar, Sehwag and Laxman in the same team at the same time, are fortunate indeed.

Any one of them would comfortably be worth his place in any other international team at present. I suppose the rest of us ought to be grateful for the small mercy that the Indian bowling attack is not so competitive at the moment.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
luckyeddie said:
India, with Dravid, Tendulkar, Sehwag and Laxman in the same team at the same time, are fortunate indeed.

Any one of them would comfortably be worth his place in any other international team at present. I suppose the rest of us ought to be grateful for the small mercy that the Indian bowling attack is not so competitive at the moment.
I am glad you mentioned Sehwag coz he is a good batsman, although not in the class of Tendulkar and Dravid..

India's bowling sucks big time.. I cant belive we r playing Balaji, an inexperienced Irfan Pathan and an out of sorts Zaheer Khan as a 'pace trio'.

And yes, you forgot our great wicket keeping tradition of giving every one a chance..

Raj123

U19 Debutant
if you request him properly parthiv doesnt mind giving you two.
you have to feel sorry for indian spinners. its hard enough generating one chance but to fox each batsmen more than once. kumble is a great spinner, he could do it. but some one like kartik must have his confidence shattered.

Deja moo

International Captain
It is odd that people should mention SRT and Dravid having higher averages away from home than at home. One more name could be added to those two, Saurav Ganguly....( waits for the hawks to land).....

Sehwag309

Banned
Sachin won't be flashy in test as he has gone "al la mode 2" and thats a very good thing.

I know Dravid is the Wall, Sachin is becoming the "Stall'

But I am a Sachin fan

Swervy

International Captain
orangepitch said:
It is odd that people should mention SRT and Dravid having higher averages away from home than at home. One more name could be added to those two, Saurav Ganguly....( waits for the hawks to land).....
this hawk wont land on this old overused piece of terrain...my views on Ganguly are well documented on this forum:D

Deja moo

International Captain
I noted an odd thing yesterday....I visited the pricewaterhouse.... site .They had a programme wherin you could enter two players at a time to see a comparison of their career ratings in line graph form.

so I entered Dravid and Sachin, and found that their careers have always borne an inverseness to each others, ie. when Sachins rating went down for a period of time, Dravids rose proportionally, and when dravids ratings took a dive, Sachins ratings rose proportionally too.

It was almost as if Sachins mountains coincided with Dravids valley and vice versa !~ Now is the first time ever in their careers that both ratings are simultaneously on an upswing!:duh: