• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

trivia, help needed!

Ransid

Cricket Spectator
I've been challenged to name the Father/Son combinations that have graced the same England cricket team and after hours browsing trying to find the info with no joy was wondering if any of you fine people could tell me the answer or point me in the right direction. Cheers!

Rich2001

International Captain
Are you talking in the same match or just over the years?

Over the years Ryan and Arine Sidebottom have and Simon Jones and his father have (forget his name though). That's off the top of my head will keep thinking for you.

Rich2001

International Captain
Here you go mate

Father and Son

AR and MA Butcher (Eng)
MC and CS Cowdrey (Eng)
J Hardstaff snr and J Hardstaff jnr (Eng)
L and RA Hutton (Eng)
IJ and SP Jones (Eng)
FG and FT Mann (Eng)
JH and JM Parks (Eng)
A and RJ Sidebottom (Eng)
MJ and AJ Stewart (Eng)
FW and MW Tate (Eng)
CL and DCH Townsend (Eng)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not sure whether there has ever been an instance of father and son in the same test match - the only instance I can recall in first class cricket is the Gunns at Nottinghamshire.

I got 8 out of the 11 without prompting, would never have got the Tates and the Townsends (wasn't 'Soap' the Tates and the Campbells?) , should have got the Manns.

Of course, in the game (v India?) when Simon Jones made his debut (think it was a ODI, too lazy to check), there was a Butcher, a Jones and a Stewart - 3 of the 11 sons in the same game.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Gee, you're a smart cookie Ducky.

You posted earlier that Jones' ODI carear having lasted 0 days, now you think he played in an ODI match?!?

EDIT: Plus, if Mark Butcher played in the same game, and he hasn't played an ODI, how can it possibly have been an ODI?

:D :saint: :P :)

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
The Duck has a long memory Essex Boy, so maybe taking the mick for an honest mistake when he did say
I don't hold grudges - since I've got old I can't remember what I was angry about for long enoug...... oh, look. A robin.

Did you hear about the Irishman who thought that Essex were a cricket team?

Q What do you call an Essex supporter with half a brain?
A Gifted

Q Why do Essex supporters have small steering wheels in their XR3i's?
A So they can still drive without removing their handcuffs.