• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Another Aussie - Another Honest Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raj123

U19 Debutant
after a whole page of discussion you come up with the same question.

either one of 2.
1. you dont achieve anything from it but you do it anyway.
2. you think like ganguly and come up with some thing unorthodox which you think might unsettle the opposition

how can you be so confident that langer didnt do it intensionally?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Raj123 said:
how can you be so confident that langer didnt do it intensionally?
And how can you be so confident he did?

Unless you'd noticed, he was cleared of any wrongdoing, which suggests it wasn't intentional.

Beleg

International Regular
Marc posted,

Unless you'd noticed, he was cleared of any wrongdoing, which suggests it wasn't intentional.
I don't agree with that. Like all of us, the Match Refree had no way of knowing what Langer did was intentional or fabricated.
Going by the video footage it can be taken either way, IMO, the refree just accepted Langer on face value and the fact which Top_cat pointed out, there is nothing to be gained with such a virulent act.

Another unlikely scenario is he did it just for the sake of fun, players have been known to have twisted sort of humors but Langer just doesn't seem that kind of a guy to me.

I have no way of proving he didn't do it unintentionally although my mind would like to lean towards the innocous.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Would ANYONE from the 'he might have done it on purpose' camp like to explain a possible motive (no matter how contrived)?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
luckyeddie said:
Did he clean his shoes with the bail?
I think the problem with Ganguly cleaning his shoes was that the time wasted in getting his butler to come on, collect them, take them to the servant's quarters, clean them and return them was a bit excessive...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
I think the problem with Ganguly cleaning his shoes was that the time wasted in getting his butler to come on, collect them, take them to the servant's quarters, clean them and return them was a bit excessive...
It takes longer for him to sign the chit too. What are we up to now, DD?

<quack> His Regal and Exulted Semi-Ambidextrous Wondrous Most Splendid Lefthandedness Prince Sourav Ganguly

Slow Love™

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
Would ANYONE from the 'he might have done it on purpose' camp like to explain a possible motive (no matter how contrived)?
Personally, I don't blame the ICC for not finding anything inappropriate (and it's quite possible there was nothing inappropriate) - what annoyed me most about this case was that given that the referee/umpires were willing to entertain the notion that Langer's action could have been deliberate, the charge should never have been a level one violation - it should have been higher. But some of the arguments here as to why it couldn't have been in any way deliberate are just silly. By these standards, nobody would ever do anything counter-productive or illogical, and we all know that they do.

In any case, off the top of my head, here's a way that it could have played out:

Langer knocks the bail off, and notices, and thinks nothing of it. Later, Ponting sees the bail on the ground, and honestly appeals. Langer sees what happened, thinks "oh wait, I knocked those over" but says nothing to correct the appeal. This is not cheating (well, maybe it is), but it's surely bringing the game into disrepute. It's all happened in minutes, and Langer, not being the swiftest (sorry, Top_Cat) doesn't have time to think through the possibilities, and has a "brain explosion", like some people have speculated. Likely also as a factor is a lingering resentment over Tillakaratne's attempt to swat the ball away from Ponting previously in the series, which the Australians may feel was cheating.

If you think about this, it's not unlike some of the more egregious "non catches" that players have claimed over the years. These days, your chances of actually dismissing a batsman this way are zilch, because unless the video umpire can observe clearly that the catch was taken, without fail, the verdict will be not-out. Why do these players do it then? Who knows? Some of them might not actually know if they took the catch, but I'm damn certain some of them do.

And then there's the less likely (but still possible, I guess) motive of protest - a targeted dig that Ponting was also aware of, directed towards Tillakaratne as retaliation for the incident described above.

Having said this, yes, it is also quite plausible that Langer didn't feel anything, and that this was all just a comedy of sequential events that conspired to make things look less innocent than they actually were. I just find the argument that "but they must have known they wouldn't get away with it!" unconvincing, because a) it depends on what their goals actually were, and b) the definition of ill-considered is just that, ill-considered.

Raj123 said:
see, now you've lost me. i have no idea what "Yossarian" means. would you care to enlighten me.
Go read Joseph Heller's book.

See the logic? No? Maybe you will when you read it then. :P

indianreligion

School Boy/Girl Captain
Why do these Aussies keep making so many 'Honest Mistakes' ? (sanz's question)
a very simpple explanation....australians are, as it seems to be, god's honest mistake....there surroundings are full of honest mistakes and therefore they don't find it wrong to make "honest mistakes." (i hav nothing against aussies....a few of my relatives are god's honest mistakes (in a very serious way) too....i actually feel b ad for them
:(

:lol: :lol: :lol:

indianreligion said:
a very simpple explanation....australians are, as it seems to be, god's honest mistake....there surroundings are full of honest mistakes and therefore they don't find it wrong to make "honest mistakes." (i hav nothing against aussies....a few of my relatives are god's honest mistakes (in a very serious way) too....i actually feel b ad for them
Damn right. I don't like most Australians either. To Australians: don't take it as a personal attack. You could be one of the good ones :) But I think Australia is mostly bad people with but a few good ones.

Then again, I suppose most of the world is like that. Too many bad people, eh.

And raj123: Your last post was the biggest admission of ignorance I have seen for quite some time. You will do well here. :rolleyes: :yawn: :duh: :P

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Lets just rename this thread "Bash an Aussie" so the rest of us can keep out and you can keep your petty minded whinges amongst yourselves.

Craig

World Traveller
My take:

It looked like to me Langer walked by and knocked it off without looking or he just brushed it when he was walking by.

If it was delribate, I'm sure he would of been in trouble.

biased indian

International Coach
if Mc grath was playing for any sub continent country
he would have played only half the game that he has played upto now for australia.he would have got that many bans by now

koch_cha said:
if Mc grath was playing for any sub continent country
he would have played only half the game that he has played upto now for australia.he would have got that many bans by now
Yep, that's certainly right. Because sub-continental players are so discriminated. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.