• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Another Aussie - Another Honest Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Which Tests, what points? Details please. You seem to have seen it all and have it clear in your mind.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Tom Halsey said:
He would have heard it too - and known he was near them, and the batsman wasn't.

yeah, a light peice of wood falling on a pitch, which isn't the hardest serface going around - with a crowd making noise, probably teammates shouting encouragement etc...

Raj123

U19 Debutant
No, because it wasn't intentional - with the cameras around, why would anyone do that?
you certainly werent ready to take that in dravid's case.

i cant believe this. I was talking about favouritism and patriotism and these idiots turned it into racism.

Top_Cat

Did anyone hear that?

Is that the sound of a closing thread I hear???

I felt sure......I.........oh well. Next time I come here, I'll have to listen HARDER for that sound because I felt sure it was.......like........CREEPING UP on this 'discussion'.

How strange.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Raj123 said:
you certainly werent ready to take that in dravid's case
Great point.

I can accept that Langer might have brushed the bails and not realised it - really I can. But the defence of "he wouldn't be stupid enough to try that with all those cameras around just doesn't wash (and didn't, with Dravid). People shouldn't always assume that people do things because they're logical and/or sensible. Clearly this assumption is often wrong, or people wouldn't do illogical or irrational things.

Top_Cat

nah mate, it just you being paranoid
Well considering *I* am one of the people who can close threads, I highly doubt it. If it goes any further towards a flame war, it's gone.

I can accept that Langer might have brushed the bails and not realised it - really I can. But the defence of "he wouldn't be stupid enough to try that with all those cameras around just doesn't wash (and didn't, with Dravid). People shouldn't always assume that people do things because they're logical and/or sensible. Clearly this assumption is often wrong, or people wouldn't do illogical or irrational things.
Cases in point which agree with you; Mike Atherton's 'dirt in the pocket' a few years back, Hansie Cronje's 'stepping on the ball' at the MCG, etc.

Certainly players don't always remember that there are lots of cameras around and shouldn't be used to excuse players on any grounds. If he says he didn't know whether he hit to wicket, fine. Evidently there are people in power who think there was little wrong with it. This would also explain why he didn't just call the whole appeal off saying "I did it."

Anyone of reasonable intelligence (and please, no more aspersions cast upon JL's brain power; NONE of you know him I'd wager so your statements are worthless and could concievably start flamewars) would know that there nothing to be gained from doing something like this deliberately. The third umpire would have seen what was going on and given the batsmen not out, the umpires on the field, if there were no third umpire, would have given him not out if they didn't see what actually happened and no matter what, he would have been ripe for abuse.

This tends to mitigate against the assertion that he did this deliberately. Not absolute proof obviously but in lay terms, surely JL wouldn't have been so insular that he wouldn't have realised the wider issues at play here.

Raj123

U19 Debutant
Anyone of reasonable intelligence would know that there nothing to be gained from doing something like this deliberately
who would have thought ganguly sitting on the pitch and cleaning his shoes would cause opposition wickets to fall like bowling pins

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Raj123 said:
who would have thought ganguly sitting on the pitch and cleaning his shoes would cause opposition wickets to fall like bowling pins.
Run that one by me again

I think he's talking about tactics that seem innocuous but are really deliberate and that actually work for the perpetrator.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Raj123 said:
com'on mate everyone knows the incident. it was discussed all over the forums.
is that some oblique reference to that 'rainy' day-nighter when he (and others) were cleaning the mud off the soles of their shoes every few minutes?

Raj123

U19 Debutant
see, now you've lost me. i have no idea what "Yossarian" means. would you care to enlighten me.

just to prove you wrong i will now explain the whole incident. in the 3rd vb series odi between aus and india, when the game was reduced to 34 overs and india were almost certain to lose it ganguly deliberately tried to slow the pace of the game by sitting in the middle of the pitch and cleaning his shoes(cos he was next to bowl) and then all of a sudden aus lost 7 wickets and almost lost the game until lee hit 6 off second last ball(an aside: ganguly got fined for it).

so here.

Raj123

U19 Debutant
QUOTE]is that some oblique reference to that 'rainy' day-nighter when he (and others) were cleaning the mud off the soles of their shoes every few minutes?[/QUOTE]

yes but it was ganguly. others came up with something even more subtle like faking shoulder(or back, cant remember) injury.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.