• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Another Aussie - Another Honest Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raj123

U19 Debutant
Well it appears that Langer has knocked the bails off inadvertantly, and then as his team mates have seen the bails dislodged have appealed against Tillekeratne...
So Langer hasnt done anything wrong...
walk up to his mates and ask them to take the appeal back and apologise for inadverently clipping the bails......duh....oh i forgot, he couldnt feel clipping the bails. During the night, under lights, wearing shades dravid was supposed to pick a yellow lolly on the ball and langer cant feel clipping bails made out of timber.
not defending dravid here but if langer claims he didnt feel the bails, just saying how ridiculous it sounds.

its just not cricket, thats how they play all their sports.....dirty. Still cant forget rogers hollywood antic on thorne during rugby world cup:!( (not that it has anything to do with this discussion)

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
1/ From my memory, Nel's action wasn't quite abuse of the batsman. He stuck out his tongue, had a couple of words and got a fitting punishment.
2/ There have been many bowlers around the world who have come into question for their actions. Besides, are you denying that some of the players from the subcontinent who have come into question have faulty actions?
3/ Perhaps Lee was cleared?
1) What Shoiab did wasn't different to what Nel did throughout the recent series against the West Indies.
2) No I'm not saying there haven't been bowlers from the ubcontinent with questionable actions -- all I'm saying is there needs to be more consistency in the way the ICC applies its rules.
Venkat's objections to Lee's action were dismissed without much scrutiny, despite the video footage of Lee in that series (v New Zealand in 2000) being rather damning -- his action looked as questionable as Akhtar's ever was in that footage.

Last edited:

Raj123

U19 Debutant
i'm glad they didnt waste time on lee cos if you forgot, he would be sent to uwa and i dont see aus institute damning aus players

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Jesus, I see anti-Australian sentiment is still running hot here.......hate to think what us Aussies would be accused of if we made simlar accusations against all and sundry sub-continental players......:rolleyes:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Kenny said:
Jesus, I see anti-Australian sentiment is still running hot here.......hate to think what us Aussies would be accused of if we made simlar accusations against all and sundry sub-continental players......:rolleyes:
I'm afraid that there are always well-balanced people on any forum (for well-balanced, read 'a chip on each shoulder').

We've already, in the last 24 hours, had some people bemoaning the 'fact' that the ICC is Asian in nature, at least one mooting the possibility of the ICC splitting into Asian and non-Asian factions, and now moaning about the fact that Lee's action was investigated by an Australian institution.

Well, guys, I know a thing or two about racism in cricket - and this isn't it.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
jamesryfler said:
1) What Shoiab did wasn't different to what Nel did throughout the recent series against the West Indies.
Nel only breached the code of conduct once in the series. Hardly 'throughout' the series.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I think the whole thing is very weird.

How the hell do you knock a bail off, and not notice? Imposiible.

I haven't seen it, but I am suspicious to say the least.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
The point which everyone seems to have ignored (except me and the ICC, it seems) is simply this:

What did he have to gain by taking such a course of action?

I can conceive of only way a possible advantage would be gained - that of purely and simply unsettling the batsman by making him think that there had been a possibility of him treading on his wicket, thus increasing the chance of future hesitancy.

I can think of 100 better ways of upsetting a batsman.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:
Dislodging the bails and then claiming a hit wicket. That is bringing the game into disrepute or something.
No, because it wasn't intentional - with the cameras around, why would anyone do that?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
jamesryfler said:
Maybe its because there are one set of rules for players from
Australia, RSA. England, New Zealand and another set for players from the subcontinent.
No there isn't, there is one set of rules for all players.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Raj123 said:
During the night, under lights, wearing shades dravid was supposed to pick a yellow lolly on the ball and langer cant feel clipping bails made out of timber.
not defending dravid here but if langer claims he didnt feel the bails, just saying how ridiculous it sounds.
It is entirely easy to brush past something and knock it off without realising - but don't let that ruin your conspiracy theories.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
jamesryfler said:
I think I'll listen to the West Indian who had easier coverage of the games thanks.

jamesryfler said:
2) No I'm not saying there haven't been bowlers from the ubcontinent with questionable actions -- all I'm saying is there needs to be more consistency in the way the ICC applies its rules.

they look pretty consistent to me - player's action is reported by umpires or match referee, action reviewed and if deemed necessary sent for corrective actions.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Raj123 said:
i'm glad they didnt waste time on lee cos if you forgot, he would be sent to uwa and i dont see aus institute damning aus players
So, you're in effect accusing the scientists there of being unprofessional?

Got any evidense to back this up or is it another unfounded allegation?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tom Halsey said:
How the hell do you knock a bail off, and not notice? Imposiible.
Are you telling me you've never brushed past something and dislodged it by accident without realising?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tom Halsey said:
He would have heard it too - and known he was near them, and the batsman wasn't.
Total and utter shash, of course. Did you hear the sound on the stump-mic? And that's magnified several times, too.
You're all (the usual suspects) making a big deal out of something so utterly trivial - and not one of you conspiracy theorists have come up with a single word to explain the motive behind the crime. What did Australia have to gain?

Come on. Put your tinfoil hats on.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
No, because it wasn't intentional - with the cameras around, why would anyone do that?
And what's there to say it wasn't intentional ?

That's just plain silly given that you of all people weren't prepared to accept "the not intentional" excuse given by Dravid for Lollygate.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
I think I'll listen to the West Indian who had easier coverage of the games thanks.

Another very silly comment from you -- given that there was full coverage of the RSA-WI series in Australia.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
jamesryfler said:
Another very silly comment from you -- given that there was full coverage of the RSA-WI series in Australia.
Well you obviously didn't watch it if you think Nel was acting up throughout the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.