• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Langer to face music over 'Hit Wicket' Incident

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Langer to face enquiry

Charlie Austin in Colombo

March 26, 2004

Justin Langer faces a possible reprimand, and/or a fine, after being reported by Steve Bucknor and David Orchard for bringing the game into disrepute under the ICC's Code of Conduct. Langer will attend a disciplinary inquiry on Friday night after the close of play.

Australia's media manager, Jonathan Rose, told reporters, "Justin Langer has been reported for a breach of code of conduct under level one, clause two, which is conduct that brings the game into disrepute."

Langer's hearing followed a bizarre incident during the third morning of the final Test against Sri Lanka, when Australia belatedly appealed for a hit-wicket decision against Hashan Tillakaratne. The umpires referred the decision to the third umpire to verify how Tillakaratne's bail was dislodged.

The television pictures showed that Langer dislodged the bail with his hand while he crossed over the pitch to take up a new fielding position for the right-handed Thilan Samaraweera. Langer insisted that he did not intentionally flick off the bail.

© Wisden Cricinfo Ltd

-------

For me, if he did this on purpose, and even though I have not seen footage yet, fine him massive amounts of money and ban him for a few dozen matches!
:!(
Your opinions?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I saw it and was wondering what the hell he was doing. It's a disgrace! Just watch the footage, he looks like the sneakiest cheat. Whether it was intentional or not (by God it looks like he meant it) its still ridiculous. No matter what country you are from there's no justifying that.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
SquidAU said:

For me, if he did this on purpose, and even though I have not seen footage yet, fine him massive amounts of money and ban him for a few dozen matches!
:!(
Your opinions?
You appear to have pre-judged the incident. How can you say that he did it on purpose if you haven't seen the footage, for goodness sake? Are you clairvoyant?

Guilty until proved innocent, I suppose?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Actually just one question on the matter before I start judging him. Did Langer deny doing it on purpose, or did he deny knowing he knocked the bails off? Because when the Aussies appealed he would of said something surely?

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
If it transpires that he knocked the bails off on purpose or that he knew he'd knocked the bails off accidentaly when the appeal was made (though this will be difficult to prove if he denies it, as the video evidence is unlikely to be conclusive), then clearly the book needs to be thrown at him.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Re: Re: Langer to face music over 'Hit Wicket' Incident

luckyeddie said:
You appear to have pre-judged the incident. How can you say that he did it on purpose if you haven't seen the footage, for goodness sake? Are you clairvoyant?

Guilty until proved innocent, I suppose?
I do believe I said IF he did it on purpose. Besides, he got off anyways.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Re: Re: Re: Langer to face music over 'Hit Wicket' Incident

SquidAU said:
I do believe I said IF he did it on purpose. Besides, he got off anyways.
You did indeed - and I do apologise for misreading your original meaasge

ReallyCrazy

Banned
I feel langer is innocent and it was an honest mistake. He should have knowcked it off without realising it. The players know a million cameras are on them when they are on the field and tehy would not be so stupid that they'd do something like this intentionally. Langer is not stupid.

Slow Love™

International Captain
ReallyCrazy said:
Langer is not stupid.
Regardless of whether he cheated or not, I'd take exception to this comment. Next to Marto, he's easily the stupidest member of the Aussie side. And you'd know this if you'd seen his Commonwealth Bank commercial. 8D

"The BANK????"

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Haha, i sense a west aussie theme coming out from you there.

I only saw the video on the news, what happened leading up to it? Im still confused as to why he would do it...

Last edited:

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Well, I just watched a replay of the incident on the news, and I think he done it deliberately. He looked at the bails while he flicked them off.

In defence of Langer, though I shouldn't, there are some times where I have walked past, say, the pepper grinder on the table and I will look at it, and knock it over. Just because it was there. I have done it numerous times in my life, not just with a pepper grinder.

Langer may have used that as a defence, but I would have said that's a flimsy one.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
SquidAU said:
Well, I just watched a replay of the incident on the news, and I think he done it deliberately. He looked at the bails while he flicked them off.

In defence of Langer, though I shouldn't, there are some times where I have walked past, say, the pepper grinder on the table and I will look at it, and knock it over. Just because it was there. I have done it numerous times in my life, not just with a pepper grinder.

Langer may have used that as a defence, but I would have said that's a flimsy one.
Yup - me too.

I mean, how many times have you walked past an unsecured, open-topped sports car parked on top of Beachy Head and been compelled to release the hand-brake, causing it to roll forward and plummet over the 535 foot drop before landing on the party of fishermen at the bottom of the cliff in a large explosion of petrol, bucket seats and fish?

Happens to me all the time.

Warne is god

U19 12th Man
SquidAU said:
I shouldn't, there are some times where I have walked past, say, the pepper grinder on the table and I will look at it, and knock it over. Just because it was there. I have done it numerous times in my life, not just with a pepper grinder.

Imagine that:

Ref: So Justin, why did you knock the bail off?

Langer: Daaaaaa i thought it was the salt shaker