• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** County Cricket 2017

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
How much was Yorkshire's decline due to Gillespie's departure or inevitable? I do fear for them now Sidebottom is gone, and what with their England regulars increasingly yanked from them. I could even see them a relegation prospect next season. I wouldn't be surprised if they got in among the kolpak market like Hampshire and Sussex to try and stave off their decline to be honest, although they have unearthed a prospect in Ben Coad.

Did I read correctly that Lyth and Lees were playing for the seconds last season? Jesus, how they declined from probably the best openers in the championship a couple of seasons back?

Woodster

International Captain
Staggering appointment really. An excellent bit of business from Rob Andrew and Sussex, but it’ll be interesting to hear of the about turn from Gillespie following his decision to move back to Australia for family reasons.

Obviously batting needs strengthening but there’s some talent in the Sussex squad for Gillespie to get the best out of. I’m sure he will do aswell. Be interesting to see what Yorkshire fans think of it.

SeamUp

International Coach
Who are England's strike bowling options for the future and where do we rate them now and for future opportunities.

Wood
T. Curran
J.Overton
Topley
Garton

As was thinking. Anderson & Broad look to have able deputies in TRJ, Woakes, COverton, Porter.

But ideally need variation to the attack especially away from home.

I watch Finn & Ball and I think they really in between and don't know how they really want to go about wickets.

SeamUp

International Coach
He seems quite big on the keeping. Think he should focus on his batting more with all the keepers around.

theegyptian

Buttler flopping at the Bangladesh t20 comp.

His game and career seems to be plateauing. Stuck playing meaningless t20 tournies and doing so badly. ODI game still very good but hasn't really reached that absolute elite level- and being suspect in high pressure games. He's probably happy taking the $$$ but he's still only 27. Should be trying to get back in the test team. Would be good to see him with the lions in West Indies in new year working on his four day game. Would probably help his odi game too given how shaky he has been early on in his ODI innings in recent times.

S.Kennedy

He is meant to be on Lancashire's books still but I think we basically should consider Buttler retired from first-class cricket.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He is meant to be on Lancashire's books still but I think we basically should consider Buttler retired from first-class cricket.
Hopefully he'll now get a double ton in his first Championship match next summer - sad thing is it will probably be the only one he plays in

Woodster

International Captain
There is a chance Buttler will go down as one of our greatest underachievers of recent times, I rate him that highly as a cricketer.

He has so much talent and ability but he really isn’t putting it to best use, I would love to see him focus on First-class cricket more next season and really see how far he can go, find a method, find the right balance between defence and attack and the appropriate mindset and really push himself. He should be playing Test cricket and attacking the bowling, at his best he would certainly be giving Nathan Lyon a thing or two more to think about in the current Ashes series.

He is still only 27 as highlighted in a previous post, but he really needs to get a proper grip on his career before its too late to fully fulfil what his talent deserves.

S.Kennedy

In 2014 I saw Buttler make his maiden first-class century, 100*. Stokes got hit for a lot as I recall. but Rushworth and John Hastings wrapped up the tail and we managed to win by twenty odd runs.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Considering he is still only 27 you got to hope people in the ECB sit him down to re-focus as I agree with you lads. Not close to achieving what he could.

Last edited:

theegyptian

Who are England's strike bowling options for the future and where do we rate them now and for future opportunities.

No-one massively stands out apart from Jofra Archer who isn't going to be eligible for a while or possibly ever.

Archer would be an ideal candidate. Would slip into the team easily as 3/4th seamer in Aus right now if eligible. Has that easy natural pace so that he can bowl 20 overs a day at mid 80s. Did that with Sussex last year without getting injured. Gets steep bounce and angles it into the right hander hander. Would offer more than WOakes, Ball, COverton away from home imo. Maybe 2 years or maybe 5 until he is eligible so reasonable chance he plays for Windies or just plays T20 cricket.

Other options if you are looking at pace or uniqueness to offer variation then no-one else is ready or anywhere near the standard required. But some suggestions are...

Wood - Injury prone, and possibly lost some pace, hasn't looked penetrative in test cricket. Chance of good test career - 3/10
J Overton - Going through the injury phase but has been erratic to this point. No point busting a gut to bowl 85mph with a wonky action. Needs to get the action right. 4/10
Saq Mahmood - Skiddy pace. Shades of Waqar in runup and action. Good athlete. Needs more experience at the moment. 4/10
Garton - Erratic. High top pace and potential - but doesn't have the speed endurance. Bowling 90mph at start of 5 over spell and 80 at end and in ragged style. Left arm offers variation. 3/10
Stone - Was my favourite before terrible injury. Come back from ACL reconstruction and still very good pace. Good athlete and cricketer (slip catcher and can bat). It's such a big injury to come back from that I have my doubts now. 2/10
Tongue - Doesn't yet have the pace of those previously mentioned. Thin and tall but with a smooth runup and action. I rather think he'll naturally add 5mph to be a mid 80s bowler as he grows into his body. 5/10
Gleeson - Shoulda been with the lions this winter imo. Ran through some second division teams in second half of season (40 wickets @ 18.62). Was the best 85mph+ bowler in county cricket last year. Age(30) and lack of experience is against him. 1/10
Helm - Looked the hot prospect at start of 2017. At best, super smooth action- Close to stumps and zippy pace with movement both ways. However fitness concerns. Action got ragged as season progressed and doesn't seem to have natural fitness and/or inclination to really fully commit imo, but natural talent obvious on occasion. 4/10
Fisher - Looked an outstanding youngster at 16 (80mph avg with good action, away swing, good bouncer) but struggled with injuries since and hasn't progressed as much as I'd hoped. Still has a high potential once he starts getting playing time. 4/10

Spinner wise there aren't really any unconventional spinners. Crane and Parkinson two leggies. Parkinson bowls it too slow at the moment for international cricket.

Likes of Curran, Porter, Topley, Coad are more english type seamer and swingers, who are unlikely to offer much outside England.

theegyptian

Damn head coach Steve Rhodes gone from Worcester. Announcement: Steve Rhodes - Worcestershire CCC Was doing a great job for Worcester (and England) bringing through a lot of young english talent.

Obviously to do with the Hepburn rape case. Sounds like Hepburn had gone to Rhodes after been initially arrested for advice and Rhodes hadn't told the club - and Hepburn had played for the club since and signed a new contract before he was charged a couple of weeks ago and it all came public.
Rhodes on enforced leave after Hepburn rape charge | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

He was clearly in a tough position. Vulnerable young player comes to him looking for advice in confidence. But he's contracted to the cricket club.

IMO Rhodes was definitely in with a chance of becoming Head England coach in the future. Seems unlikely now- although he should be able to get back into the game assuming he wasn't conspiring with Hepburn.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
Damn head coach Steve Rhodes gone from Worcester. Announcement: Steve Rhodes - Worcestershire CCC Was doing a great job for Worcester (and England) bringing through a lot of young english talent.

Obviously to do with the Hepburn rape case. Sounds like Hepburn had gone to Rhodes after been initially arrested for advice and Rhodes hadn't told the club - and Hepburn had played for the club since and signed a new contract before he was charged a couple of weeks ago and it all came public.
Rhodes on enforced leave after Hepburn rape charge | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

He was clearly in a tough position. Vulnerable young player comes to him looking for advice in confidence. But he's contracted to the cricket club.

IMO Rhodes was definitely in with a chance of becoming Head England coach in the future. Seems unlikely now- although he should be able to get back into the game assuming he wasn't conspiring with Hepburn.
Such a shame for Rhodes and for Worcester C.C., as you say he was doing a fantastic job, got them back up into Division One with a young and promising squad, exciting times at New Road, only to be hit by this news.

Not sure the club had anywhere else to go with this decision though if he's deliberately hidden this revelation from his employer, continued to pick the accused for the 1st team and seen him get a new contract extension while all under this allegation that he has now been charged for.

Rhodes has made a huge sacrifice, his career as well as his integrity and reputation, for a young man that has seemingly let him down in a big way.

SeamUp

International Coach
No-one massively stands out apart from Jofra Archer who isn't going to be eligible for a while or possibly ever.

Archer would be an ideal candidate. Would slip into the team easily as 3/4th seamer in Aus right now if eligible. Has that easy natural pace so that he can bowl 20 overs a day at mid 80s. Did that with Sussex last year without getting injured. Gets steep bounce and angles it into the right hander hander. Would offer more than WOakes, Ball, COverton away from home imo. Maybe 2 years or maybe 5 until he is eligible so reasonable chance he plays for Windies or just plays T20 cricket.

Other options if you are looking at pace or uniqueness to offer variation then no-one else is ready or anywhere near the standard required. But some suggestions are...

Wood - Injury prone, and possibly lost some pace, hasn't looked penetrative in test cricket. Chance of good test career - 3/10
J Overton - Going through the injury phase but has been erratic to this point. No point busting a gut to bowl 85mph with a wonky action. Needs to get the action right. 4/10
Saq Mahmood - Skiddy pace. Shades of Waqar in runup and action. Good athlete. Needs more experience at the moment. 4/10
Garton - Erratic. High top pace and potential - but doesn't have the speed endurance. Bowling 90mph at start of 5 over spell and 80 at end and in ragged style. Left arm offers variation. 3/10
Stone - Was my favourite before terrible injury. Come back from ACL reconstruction and still very good pace. Good athlete and cricketer (slip catcher and can bat). It's such a big injury to come back from that I have my doubts now. 2/10
Tongue - Doesn't yet have the pace of those previously mentioned. Thin and tall but with a smooth runup and action. I rather think he'll naturally add 5mph to be a mid 80s bowler as he grows into his body. 5/10
Gleeson - Shoulda been with the lions this winter imo. Ran through some second division teams in second half of season (40 wickets @ 18.62). Was the best 85mph+ bowler in county cricket last year. Age(30) and lack of experience is against him. 1/10
Helm - Looked the hot prospect at start of 2017. At best, super smooth action- Close to stumps and zippy pace with movement both ways. However fitness concerns. Action got ragged as season progressed and doesn't seem to have natural fitness and/or inclination to really fully commit imo, but natural talent obvious on occasion. 4/10
Fisher - Looked an outstanding youngster at 16 (80mph avg with good action, away swing, good bouncer) but struggled with injuries since and hasn't progressed as much as I'd hoped. Still has a high potential once he starts getting playing time. 4/10

Spinner wise there aren't really any unconventional spinners. Crane and Parkinson two leggies. Parkinson bowls it too slow at the moment for international cricket.

Likes of Curran, Porter, Topley, Coad are more english type seamer and swingers, who are unlikely to offer much outside England.
Used to think all the excitement about JOverton was pace because he kept averaging 40+

But considering the pitches he plays on his last two seasons seem to show better control with 12 @ 26 & 17 @ 22.5

Probably about more volume now so he needs to have a 35+ wicket season at those averages.

I think both brothers seem to have that competitive attitude. Same thing that impressed me about Tom Curran too.

theegyptian

Pre Christmas Round up of English talent in grade cricket. (all first grade unless specified).

Highlights – In Sydney grade Ollie Pope, Matt Critchley and Nic Selman doing well. Pope doing well in his first spell in grade cricket – one hundred and two fifties and keeping wicket for Cambelltown Camden. Critchley contributing with bat and ball for Fairfield Liverpool but primarily with the bat where he has been working on tightening his game up. Moved upto 6 and then 5 with Derbyshire at the end of last year and is a real bright spot for them going forward imo- although more likely to be a frontline bat than spin bowler; his leg spin still useful in t20. Selman is a regular in grade cricket having being brought up in Aus but now starting to be a really consistent heavy runscorer (2 hundreds, 2 nineties). Did pretty well for Glamorgan in 2017 and should be looking to push on and challenge for England in next few years. Matt Parkinson at Gordon, hasn’t quite had the success that Crane had to date, but still bowling lots of overs, and dominant in the u21 competition.

Quite a few brits in Perth again. Somerset pair of George Bartlett and Ben Green doing decently. Bartlett averaging 40+ with 5 fifties. Ben Green the surprise to me is opening the batting in first grade. Can’t bowl because he’s recovering from a stress fracture in the back but the bowling allrounder is obviously deemed good enough to open the batting. Scored 140 this weekend for Gosnells and has otherwise done pretty well. Dom Sibley getting some captaincy experience this winter at Midland Guildford having just been named vice captain at Warwickshire. Matt Taylor(Glos) doing well at Mount Lawley having taken 25 wickets @ 15.6, and Olly Stone on the recovery trail is getting some cricket in for Bayswater-Morley and has done pretty well although he was injured for a little spell. In South Australia, Euan Woods(Surrey) has progressed from 2nd grade to 1st through heavy run scoring, and scored a 168* for Sturt yesterday in first grade cricket. Don’t think he’s actually contracted to Surrey at this point so might be a good pickup for another county- bowls some offspin too.* Burgess (sussex) scoring runs quickly and keeping wicket for Adelaide Uni.

Lowlights – Wheater is a regular in perth but struggling this year and had a poor year on returning to Essex. Career stalling which is a shame given he’s a talented strokemaker. Delray Rawlins struggling with the bat for Sydney but contributing with the ball, and is only 19. Aaron Lilley a regular in Sydney grade cricket but having a quiet winter so far, and career stalling with lancs.