• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** County Cricket 2017

SeamUp

International Coach
I see Billy Root got three wickets.
Funny one. They seem afraid to back him more at Notts. A bit of a late developer where his early years he was a kick-out at Leics.

Notts look like a makeshift team with their squad this match,not a division 1 quality side.
Didn't Coughlin score a double hundred for Durham last seasons' 2nd xl final.
The boy can bat.
Yeah basically with England ODI squad : Hales, Ball
Injured : Footitt, Fletcher
England senior player/injury : Broad

So that leaves average Luke Wood, Brett Hutton and limited overs bowler Gurney. Attack lacks bite. Samit is good with the ball but no real front line spinner to support him.

They lost Greg Smith & Michael Lumb as senior batsman to sudden retirement whilst Tom Moores, Billy Root, Jake Libby get opportunities.
Overseas James Pattinson was big but obviously left and Pujara hasn't stepped up.
Read is way past his best and his last game for Notts.

Mullaney and Wessels are just solid pro's.

That is why it is no surprise the struggle in these last few 4-day games.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Notts look like a makeshift team with their squad this match,not a division 1 quality side.
Didn't Coughlin score a double hundred for Durham last seasons' 2nd xl final.
The boy can bat.
At 2nd XI level certainly. Coughlin is in his mid 20s now; you'd have expected him to push on in the first team by now. He has actually gone backwards. 2014 was an impressive debut but,

31.83 (bat), 34.00 (ball)

23.66, 25.75

19.80, 39.50

36.40, 29.78

2017 has been good with the bat. I actually think he is a better batsman than a bowler. Notts might be the change that would push his career to that other level but so far he has not really capitalised on the early promise shown.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just to be clear I have absolutely nothing against Somerset preparing spinning pitches, I think you'd consistently see scores of 200-300 on them with decent batting, like if two Indian sides played on it. They're perfectly reasonable and English teams simply don't bat very well on them.

Somerset basically imploded in their first innings and should have scored 300. But I don't trust the corrupt cronies at the ECB. I don't think anyone would if their county had been stitched up like Durham has.

SeamUp

International Coach
Malan is a fighter unlike other few nutjobs in England team or being linked (Vince,Ballance)
As expected Vince fails again and he's scored lesser runs than Jeetan this year
Failed this round when pressure is on (even taking into account run-scoring has been difficult in these last few rounds generally)
Jennings
Robson
Vince
Westley
Ballance
Livingstone
Northeast

Like you say at least Malan has shown fight on a pitch where it seems everyone involved with Middlesex feels an injustice.
Clarke & Lawrence have a bit about them. But both will be Lions players at this stage which is right.

SeamUp

International Coach
Just to be clear I have absolutely nothing against Somerset preparing spinning pitches, I think you'd consistently see scores of 200-300 on them with decent batting, like if two Indian sides played on it. They're perfectly reasonable and English teams simply don't bat very well on them.

Somerset basically imploded in their first innings and should have scored 300. But I don't trust the corrupt cronies at the ECB. I don't think anyone would if their county had been stitched up like Durham has.
I wonder how an England selector looks at their batsman in particular. Not that they have anyone close but Elgar was propping them up in the beginning of the season. Just say Hildreth was younger and pushing. How would he be viewed as opposed to others do to the pitches he has had to play on.

Even with favourable conditions I think Leach and Bess have to at least be in the Lions tour + got to respect COverton for what he has done. England selectors will always have JOverton in their sights because there aren't many around like him in England (we've had with de Lange/Viljoen)

brockley

International Captain
Funny thing for Notts after Stokes fall out he and Hales will miss the last 2 one dayers,Notts could have done with him.
Wonder what another year in 2nd division will mean for Notts?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh man. Hampscum could lose. Do not disappoint Warwickshire take the scum down with you and that uber-**** Bransgrove.

The_roc

U19 Captain
Just to be clear I have absolutely nothing against Somerset preparing spinning pitches,
Got to feel sorry for Tim Groenewald. Batted No 11 in Somerset's first innings and never got a bowl when Middlesex came into bat,

I have no axe to grind with Hampshire, but I guess it would be poetic justice if they got relegated this year.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I do not think Durham fans were too aggrieved about Hants' reprieve (what are Hants going to do, refuse the promotion?) until they read Bransgrove's comments about Durham. In fairness to the Hampshire fans I read a few comments by them saying ''they didn't deserve to be promoted'' and that Bransgrove was a ''****''.

Running the risk of bringing up old news.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Jennings to sign for Lancashire - I thought we didn't have a pot to piss in?
Think we are in a good position now pretty much everything is finished with the redevelopment. (Bar destroying the red rose suite but I hear that is in the plans). We've made profits the last few years but they have just been using it to reduce the debt I think.

That said not really happy with the Jennings thing. If he bats 3 it's not the end of the world, but not our most pressing need at this point. Onions is ok if Jarvis is going, although I hope Mahmood gets more games next year.