• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** County Cricket 2017

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Looking doubtful whether Notts will make promotion at present. Northants making mincemeat of Leicestershire. If Durham beat Worcs then it gives Notts a way past them with a draw.

SeamUp

International Coach
Looking doubtful whether Notts will make promotion at present. Northants making mincemeat of Leicestershire. If Durham beat Worcs then it gives Notts a way past them with a draw.
Just saw that.

No ways Notts can win unless they bat once and rack up 500+

Northants have basically knocked losing yesterday right out the window with this performance.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Gleeson bowling genuinely quick looking at his wickets in that Northants game.

Worcestershire themselves have produced a turner looking at Pringle's dismissal of Rhodes. Turned a fair way. Can see Ashwin running through Durham.

Yorkshire batting hilarious. Hodd at 6 and Fisher at 7.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Time for Zak Chappell to show what he has got. Somehow Leics need to get 150+ & it looks like Big Ror's is injured.

S.Kennedy

Feel for you blokes.

A new fresh start could be good.

Steel, Burnham, Trevaskis the future. I see Latham has agreed to return next season.

From a selfish view point I think Notts need an improvement on Mullaney, Libby for Div 1

Mullaney/Libby
Opener
Overseas
Patel
Hales (Wessels)
Wk
Spinner/(Mullaney/Wessels)
Coughlin
Broad (Fletcher)
Ball (Wood)
Footitt (Gurney)
The Coughlin thing surprised me in that Notts would poach him, offering him something inflated enough to pull him away from Durham. I do not really rate him and he has spent the majority of his career on the treatment table. I cannot see a role for him except as a Twenty20 player. I could see him playing solely in the Notts seconds to be honest.

At least Jennings has that one incredible season (2017) and that century against India which is enough for a county to chuck money at him. Coughlin has never really went beyond the ''work in progress'' stage.

S.Kennedy

Durham announcing some news at lunch time. New player.

Also confirmation of Onions's destination coming soon.

Last edited:

Gnske

Does Lancashire really need Keaton Jennings?

Does anyone? Thought the fella was heading to Notts anyway.

S.Kennedy

Replacement for Hameed with his broken finger troubles? I can see a lot of time with the Seconds if his 2016 form does not return. He ironically would have been dropped by Durham this season if our squad was not so tiny.

S.Kennedy

Hmm. Re-signed Will Smith. Could be a good move considering he is already a Durham legend and is a multi-format all-rounder so covers over a few cracks. Could open with Latham or play at three.

For a moment there I thought we were signing Virat Kohli haha

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Wow, Notts having a nightmare. Must be some schadenfreude being indulged at present.

I can't help thinking if there's anyway for Somerset to get stitched up by the ECB scum then it will happen. They need to pile on some runs to take that option away.

theegyptian

Somerset have been producing turning wickets for two years now and got no points deduction in that time. ECB have shown them some leniency. Some of the wickets last year were pretty **** (inconsistent spin on rough wickets from ball 1) - and would have got deductions in previous years imo - but with the toss regulation changes and the attempts to promote spin, ECB let them get away with it - probably rightly so. This wicket has turned a load from ball 1 as well and Patel/Leach aren't big spinners of the ball. Mainly consistent spin. I'd imagine Somerset have certainly tested the limits to what is acceptable with their pitch prep over the last two years.

Somerset have got the balance better this year imo. Fairly consistent but not massive spin. They obviously doctored the wicket for this game needing a win but it's hardly a terrible wicket.

It certainly makes interesting cricket though. Much better than the terrible low slow wickets at Worcester. Or flat slow wickets at Bristol. Although tbf they've produced a turning wicket this week at Worcs for Ashwin.

ECB possibly act when they start to get 5 or 6 teams producing rank turners from ball 1.

Woodster

International Captain
I just watched about an hour of the Somerset v Middlesex game before during the Malan/Stirling partnership, and yes there was balls turning, the odd one bounced a little more then the others, but it was nothing close to a pitch that deserves any recriminations imo. Both Middlesex batsmen batted properly, in different styles, but both looked relatively comfortable barring the odd beauty and showed with the right game plan or application runs can be scored on it. Stirling obviously looked at attack skipping down the pitch and hitting down the ground, while Malan was a little more deft in his approach, softer hands employed with company around the bat, but both used their feet positively.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Having considerable experience of the form the umpires use to mark the pitch (and other things) I will offer the following ret the game in Somerset based on what I've heard and read.

It would appear that there has been little or no seam movement. Likely mark = 4, possibly 5

Carry seems to have been good - possible 5, may be 4

It would appear that some balls have bounced a little more than others. Sounds like a 4

Now as the overall mark should be 10 or lower before a pitch is reported even a 1 (very, very unlikely) for spin is a comfortable pass.

It would take something extraordinary for the umpires to report to the ECB man on site for any points deduction to be justified.

S.Kennedy

Somerset have been producing turning wickets for two years now and got no points deduction in that time. ECB have shown them some leniency. Some of the wickets last year were pretty **** (inconsistent spin on rough wickets from ball 1) - and would have got deductions in previous years imo - but with the toss regulation changes and the attempts to promote spin, ECB let them get away with it - probably rightly so. This wicket has turned a load from ball 1 as well and Patel/Leach aren't big spinners of the ball. Mainly consistent spin. I'd imagine Somerset have certainly tested the limits to what is acceptable with their pitch prep over the last two years.

Somerset have got the balance better this year imo. Fairly consistent but not massive spin. They obviously doctored the wicket for this game needing a win but it's hardly a terrible wicket.

It certainly makes interesting cricket though. Much better than the terrible low slow wickets at Worcester. Or flat slow wickets at Bristol. Although tbf they've produced a turning wicket this week at Worcs for Ashwin.

ECB possibly act when they start to get 5 or 6 teams producing rank turners from ball 1.
According to Emerson who does the Durham commentaries they have changed the rule. The umpires/referee could not do anything legally last year as the only rules against a bad pitch pertained to uneven bounce and if it is dangerous. Now, probably because of Taunton, they've amended it to include ridiculous turn on day one and (I think) day two also.

SeamUp

International Coach
The Coughlin thing surprised me in that Notts would poach him, offering him something inflated enough to pull him away from Durham. I do not really rate him and he has spent the majority of his career on the treatment table. I cannot see a role for him except as a Twenty20 player. I could see him playing solely in the Notts seconds to be honest.

At least Jennings has that one incredible season (2017) and that century against India which is enough for a county to chuck money at him. Coughlin has never really went beyond the ''work in progress'' stage.
He was in demand a couple seasons back. Warks & others ?

Suppose the potential must be seen by people at Notts and worth working with. Got to be better than Brett Hutton, Luke Wood and relying on Mullaney to bowl too much.

S.Kennedy

He was in demand a couple seasons back. Warks & others ?

Suppose the potential must be seen by people at Notts and worth working with. Got to be better than Brett Hutton, Luke Wood and relying on Mullaney to bowl too much.
Notts will have to hope he stays fit for that to happen.

brockley

International Captain
Notts look like a makeshift team with their squad this match,not a division 1 quality side.
Didn't Coughlin score a double hundred for Durham last seasons' 2nd xl final.
The boy can bat.