• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Darren Lehmann - suitable conduct as Australian coach?

James

Cricket Web Owner
I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on Darren Lehmann as Australian coach and what people think of his achievements with the national side so far.

The way he's conducted himself surrounding Brett Greeves and now Kevin Pietersen is just poor and suggests to me that perhaps he's feeling the pressure with his role or that he's just got a "big head".

What do you all think? Do you think he's been good for Australian cricket and will be around for years to come? If the tour of India sees poor results, will his role come into question ahead of the Ashes next summer?

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Seems to really thrive on being divisive & defensive for me, much too much to be a national coach of such a high profile team imo. Seems to give off this 'them vs. us' vibe, which is okay when it's about the opposition, but not so cool when it's about everyone else, media included, & that's saying nothing about his babyish carry on with KP and anyone who questions or criticizes anything.

Anyway, I maybe entirely wrong on all of that, it's just the impression I get from the outside.

brockley

International Captain
KP attracts comment.
The fact he on national TV questioned the verdict was bad tv,even if it was out.
Lehman was Lehman,Buchanan was politically correct,and at times struggled to get the respect of the players.
Lehman brought a side dishevelled after 2 losses and brought it back together.
He has us at no 1 for one dayers.
Also in the end he can't always get the results because he can't guarantee the team he gets, he is 1 vote.

vcs

Hope he unravels big time on the India tour and lashes out at everyone.

TheJediBrah

Seems to really thrive on being divisive & defensive for me, much too much to be a national coach of such a high profile team imo. Seems to give off this 'them vs. us' vibe, which is okay when it's about the opposition, but not so cool when it's about everyone else, media included, & that's saying nothing about his babyish carry on with KP and anyone who questions or criticizes anything.

Anyway, I maybe entirely wrong on all of that, it's just the impression I get from the outside.
It's impression you get from being gullible and heavily reliant on the media for all your information. Anyone interesting is going to come across as narcissistic and/or stupid, and/or angry etc. That's the story they're trying to tell.

Lehmann is just a normal guy, who naturally doesn't care too much for politics or being "politically correct", and has an under-active filter from brain to mouth. Which I would take 99/100 over the alternative. That's just me though.

edit: the KP comment was objectively stupid though. Pretty sure he must have had a few at the time.

Zinzan

It's impression you get from being gullible and heavily reliant on the media for all your information..
Lol, I did add I could be entirely wrong, & certainly didn't claim to be an authority on Lehmann, but thanks for letting me know i'm gullible & heavily reliant on media for all my information.

Pleased we have an authority like yourself to clear things up for us all on Lehmann though, much appreciated.

TheJediBrah

Lol, I did add I could be entirely wrong, & certainly didn't claim to be an authority on Lehmann, but thanks for letting me know i'm gullible & heavily reliant on media for all my information.

Pleased we have an authority like yourself to clear things up for us all on Lehmann though, much appreciated.
you're way too easy

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jedi youre praising Lehman for the same **** people praise trump for. You might respect a lack of a filter when it's your mates at a pub but Lehman should carry himself a bit better

indiaholic

International Captain
I liked that a part of Pietersen's defense from his club was that he does contribute a lot because he helps bring in the crowds.

91Jmay

International Coach
He suits a certain aspect of the Australian cricket psyche (would compare it to the psyche around English rugby/football), as Jedi is demonstrating.

No class, think before talking boganitus.

Zinzan

I liked that a part of Pietersen's defense from his club was that he does contribute a lot because he helps bring in the crowds.
At a guess I'd suggest Pietersen is much more indispensable to CA with a couple of years left on his BB contract than Lehmann is. Even if he doesn't cream it with the bat, purely from a marketing perspective.

indiaholic

International Captain
Probably yes.. But a successful national team is pretty valuable too and the players seem to work well with Lehman.

Zinzan

Probably yes.. But a successful national team is pretty valuable too and the players seem to work well with Lehman.
It is, and I might be wrong, but with that pool of talent, I wouldn't say Lehmann's done particularly well with Australia has he? He sure doesn't have the talent pool they did a decade ago, but I could see any other top coach doing at least as well in terms of performance.

That said, it could just be me being gullible and relying on media for all my information. :sleep:

Bijed

International Regular
Ideally, I'd want a coach of a national (or any level, really) team to not do things like the KP tweet, but, assuming his personality/attitude isn't having a significant negative effect on Australian cricket, his results are all he should be judged on with regards to whether he should be coach.

Since he's not actually breached any regulations or anything (unless there's a CA code of conduct or something that would cover things like this), I'd have to say things like this are regrettable, but not actually unacceptable.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Lehmann is a bit of a throwback, isn't he? An almost entirely unreconstructed Ocker.

Him suggesting KP should eff off puts in a select group of anyone who's every played with or against him though, so it's barely news.