• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Darren Lehmann - suitable conduct as Australian coach?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They're literally all dickheads, tbh.

CA extended Lehmann's contract to 2019. Ain't going anywhere before then unless they lose the next Ashes and a suitable replacement comes to light.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
The most concerning thing about Lehmann from an Oz perspective is when they've encountered spinning or seaming conditions (i.e. non-Oz conditions) the culture he's created has been a really negative and complaining one. Lehmann publicly moaning about English and Sri Lankan pitches and getting rid of the toss seemed to filter down to the likes of Warner (and even Clarke back in the day) and that's just going to lead to a continuation of the failure they've had in England and Asia.

It's the polar opposite of the ethos created in the Taylor/Waugh eras where they were sick of the negative attitudes players had about playing in Asia and instead relish the challenge and different conditions.

Credit where credit's due though, when conditions have been favourable at home they have been largely exceptional. Especially so in ODIS; there wouldn't be many sides ever who've been as ruthless and dominant for as sustained an amount of matches as Oz have under Lehmann.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Australian performances under Lehmann have not been impressive and early signs suggest the most recent debacle has been impetus for Smith beginning to shape the side – and the side’s attitude - in the image of himself and Lehmann’s unhelpful posturing may become sidelined. Here’s hoping. That said, I don’t watch BBL so don’t know what KP did but he’s a massive **** so I don’t care either.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
After the Ashes. SL and SA, Lehmann is incredibly lucky to still have his job

Hate to say it as I cant stand the guy but Langer should be Oz coach

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Maybe I'm the only guy who actually likes KP, I think he's great value. I get so sick of the robotic responses from cricketers to questions. I dont see any issue with what Lehmann said. Gawd, have we all become so PC and sensitive that someone can't question someone else's value?

I also had no problem with Maxwell saying he should bat above Wade for Vic (he should). I'd rather hear what people actually think. Obviously team harmony is important and all, but at least it's something other than "I'll just do what's best for the team..." Because seriously, you might as well not bother with media interviews when that's all you get.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
After the Ashes. SL and SA, Lehmann is incredibly lucky to still have his job

Hate to say it as I cant stand the guy but Langer should be Oz coach
The coaching job is more a man management job really, innit? He's not actually "coaching" is he, at this level? I think that's where Chappelli's criticisms of guys like Buchanan lay. As in, what can he teach Steve Waugh or Ricky Ponting about batting? But it's really more a management thing.

akilana

International 12th Man
Maybe I'm the only guy who actually likes KP, I think he's great value. I get so sick of the robotic responses from cricketers to questions. I dont see any issue with what Lehmann said. Gawd, have we all become so PC and sensitive that someone can't question someone else's value?

I also had no problem with Maxwell saying he should bat above Wade for Vic (he should). I'd rather hear what people actually think. Obviously team harmony is important and all, but at least it's something other than "I'll just do what's best for the team..." Because seriously, you might as well not bother with media interviews when that's all you get.
You are not the only one to like KP. He is well liked by people around world and is a great value to any team. It is only the English with chip on their shoulders that really hate him.

TNT

Banned
I like Pietersen as a cricketer and a person and love putting **** on him as an opposition player.

In these situations I don't think he or Boof care much other than have a laugh. But it does give the uptights a opportunity to mount their high horses.

Bijed

International Regular
Tbh, I've taken a bit of a liking to KP recently too. I don't doubt the impact he had on bad team harmony/dressing room atmosphere etc, but, actually, from my admittedly relatively low levels of recent exposure to him, I've found he comes across generally well.

TheJediBrah

Tbh, I've taken a bit of a liking to KP recently too. I don't doubt the impact he had on bad team harmony/dressing room atmosphere etc, but, actually, from my admittedly relatively low levels of recent exposure to him, I've found he comes across generally well.
I've never got why people hated him. Someone on here a while ago said something about how they think he "triggers" beta males with the way he goes about things, which could have some truth to it.

Not saying that everyone that dislikes him is a "beta male" but it definitely seems like certain types of people react to him.

Zinzan

Agree, I mean it's easy to tell listening to KP's commentary and banter that he could be a disingenuous arrogant **** stirrer when he wants to be, but in kind of a funny & harmless way, but you can see how teammates wouldn't always take kindly to it. I think he's an okay guy and overall refreshing for cricket. I definitely found out of all the guest BB commentators from Baz, to Symonds, Lehmann & KP, that KP was the most interesting and entertaining overall. Although I did quite like Symonds too.

ImpatientLime

International Regular

it's political correctness gone mad.

Zinzan

You are not the only one to like KP. He is well liked by people around world and is a great value to any team. It is only the English with chip on their shoulders that really hate him.
And some Australians apparently.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
The coaching job is more a man management job really, innit? He's not actually "coaching" is he, at this level? I think that's where Chappelli's criticisms of guys like Buchanan lay. As in, what can he teach Steve Waugh or Ricky Ponting about batting? But it's really more a management thing.
Agreed but my main issue with Lehmann is the approach within the team. As mentioned before, we're just utterly hopeless when conditions are a challenge and we barely put up a fight and I believe that comes from his attitude. That's from Warner down to the tail. The collapses have been tragic.

The whinging about pitches is so much worse than some little spat with KP. Whenever we come up against a challenge, the test team just rolls over and gets royally ****ed.

I don't think he'll be going anywhere unless we lose a bunch of series/his son comes into contention.

I would have sawn him off after SA or SL. Pathetic

indiaholic

International Captain
I've never got why people hated him. Someone on here a while ago said something about how they think he "triggers" beta males with the way he goes about things, which could have some truth to it.

Not saying that everyone that dislikes him is a "beta male" but it definitely seems like certain types of people react to him.
What a marvelous post. No wonder you are the smartest man you have ever met.