• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the more talented bowler: Southee or Boult

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Thread derailment alert but: I've never quite understood this prevailing assumption, particularly among NZ fans, that Southee is the true talent of his generation while Boult by comparison is his limited but gutsy back-up.

Apart from the Raw Statzzzz which favour Boult, he also probably bowls a shade quicker on average and at peak (although they are both variable on this score), has shown a shade more ability to get it swinging both ways and is probably the more spectacular/exaggerated swinger of the ball when truly on song. He's also the better athlete and to me has the more aesthetically pleasing and athletic looking bowling action.

I'm also aware of the limitations of Boult's bowling but on a pure "raw talent and eye-test" score I would've thought he at least looks like the "talent" out of the two.
Thought it better to respond to this in a new thread.

I think Southee has the highest ceiling out of the two. At their best, both bowlers bowl at very similar speeds (low 140's), both get hoola-hoop swing and both utilise well disguised variations. But I think Southee at his peak showed greater consistency than Boult ever has, and has a big weapon that Boult can't ever hope to match - height.

Having said all that, Boult will probably have the better career. Because he has the more important characteristic of ambition and determination. I remember reading an interview with an 18 year old Boult where he said he wanted to become the best bowler in the world. It wasn't a clueless dream, he knew full well how hard achieving that would be, but he believed firmly that there was no point in setting your sights at anything less. I've never heard anything as ambitious come out of Southee's mouth, and his laid-back character seems much more likely to result in a mediocre 'good enough' career.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Where's the poll?

Anyway, I'm the opposite to you. Boult is better both in terms of performance & talent and I believe he has a higher ceiling.

thierry henry

International Coach
I don't really perceive Southee's height (yes, yes, I'm talking height) as that much of an asset as he is not really tall by fast bowler standards, he's sort of in-between. As a result his bowling is sort of in-between too. He's not really into the wicket, not really along the wicket, not really a huge swinger of the ball, not really a huge bouncer of the ball, he's a bit of everything.

Boult has a more distinct method which is (or should be) pitch it up and swing it big. I do believe that Boult is quicker and swings it more but I guess it's hard to get any sort of definitive data on that.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I don't really perceive Southee's height (yes, yes, I'm talking height) as that much of an asset as he is not really tall by fast bowler standards, he's sort of in-between. As a result his bowling is sort of in-between too. He's not really into the wicket, not really along the wicket, not really a huge swinger of the ball, not really a huge bouncer of the ball, he's a bit of everything.

Boult has a more distinct method which is (or should be) pitch it up and swing it big. I do believe that Boult is quicker and swings it more but I guess it's hard to get any sort of definitive data on that.
Nah.

Haha, look at the hatred on Southee's face when Taylor dropped that sitter.

Last edited:

Burgey

Not really a crack field is it, this discussion? Like trying to work out who's the best nag in a Wednesday Maiden at Kembla Grange, then taking them to town to run at Randwick of a Saturday only to finish seven lengths last behind a better field.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Not really a crack field is it, this discussion? Like trying to work out who's the best nag in a Wednesday Maiden at Kembla Grange, then taking them to town to run at Randwick of a Saturday only to finish seven lengths last behind a better field.
[unintelligible ramblings]

Zinzan

Thought you'd at least see it as an upgrade from the Shakib vs. the ATG all-rounders thread you so despise.

vcs

Boult is better. He runs through teams when he's on song. Southee does that more occasionally. They've both dipped noticeably in recent times, though. Boult has a great yorker and is one of the best at cleaning up tails.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Well said IL. Way too much emphasis placed on "talent" like it's some mystical gift.........doesn't count for **** all if you haven't got the other critical attributes that make for a successful sportsman.