• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

James Anderson v Tim Southee

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, Anderson went through periods where he showed absolute mastery of swing and had the ball moving both ways at will (some spells vs. Sangakkara in the 2011 series, vs. India later that year, Ashes 2010-11, even in 2007 when India won). I don't think Southee has done that even when he stepped up a level between 2012-2015. Anderson also added reverse swing to his armory after 2010-11 or so.
Amazing thing about Anderson is that he has such control over his inswinger that he can actually switch up his stock ball.

He did it at times in the 2014 series vs India. When it was Vijay batting, the conventional outswinger would be his stock ball with the inswinger as the changeup. Then when the strike rotated to Dhawan, he switched it up and started bowling the conventional inswinger (ie) the one that goes away from the left hander as the stock ball. Seriously incredible to watch. I don't think I've seen another fast bowler do that so well.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not to be a dick, but remove the armchair opinions and what are we left with? INot sure what your expectation is.
We still can analyze technique and stuff that he does or doesn't do on the field. Guessing what his motivation levels are is tough unless you know people who work with him or some such
Pretty much. Go ahead and analyse things that are visibly wrong with his bowling or whatever. Got no problem with anything thinking he looks unmotivated on the field either. But saying that it's more or less all because he cbf since his spot is secure and that he doesn't think the current bowling coach is worthy of his time goes far beyond reasonable speculation. I wouldn't even mind if it was just that, speculation. But the way it's being put across as though it's some sort of a fact is what irked me.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Pretty much. Go ahead and analyse things that are visibly wrong with his bowling or whatever. Got no problem with anything thinking he looks unmotivated on the field either. But saying that it's more or less all because he cbf since his spot is secure and that he doesn't think the current bowling coach is worthy of his time goes far beyond reasonable speculation. I wouldn't even mind if it was just that, speculation. But the way it's being put across as though it's some sort of a fact is what irked me.
I mean, I could write 'in my opinion' after it but it's insinuated that everything I say is my opinion, unless it's obvious fact ie stats.

I don't see how it's much different to any opinion on this site that deals in mental application. If we're discussing chokes, that's mental application. How can we know that anyone who doesn't perform in critical moments has suffered a psychological block? If we're discussing someone being nervous or self-serving around milestones, mental application. Why Darren Lehmann sent a tweet to Kevin Pietersen, based on psychological guesswork. I'm just not sure why you're worried when 95% of posts here are opinions presented firmly as if to loosely resemble facts.

I don't know Tim Southee's head space, course I don't. No one does except him. Do I know people who work with him, ie what indiaholic says? Well yeah I do, have since he debuted. Maybe that gives me a pass. But also, at the end of the day, I've followed his career closely, seen his ups and downs, analysed his performance correlated to the situations he's found himself in, seen how he reacts in high pressure/low pressure situations, heard some things through people that might know, and formed an opinion of where he might go in the future. It has reason behind it, even if I'm not peering into his brain. And I'm comfortable with my right to present that opinion. That's what it is. And hey, you have your opinion too, I just don't agree that I should ease up on it. I like being able to do so on CW. And why I'm glad people like a certain banned NZ poster have ****ed off, because we should be free to express those opinions - unless they're so outrageous they border on libellous - without being attacked for doing so (which is not what you did at all).

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Did Anderson at his age? I'm pretty sure it was one of his chief criticisms.
No. It's one of those stupid misconceptions about Anderson's bowling that lasted much longer than it should have.

Anderson was 27 when he destroyed Australia in Australia in 2010/11.

Flem274*

123/5
when even southee's #1 fan makes posts implies southee is perhaps a bit too chilled out (and like steve he'd be in a position to hear things) then yeah southee might be a bit relaxed about things.

southee has definitely performed under pressure before, and i'm sure being a bit "oh well, there's other things in life" would help him keep his cool in those situations but like any strength it can have its downsides too. he's also bowled well on highways, something he and boult seem to have forgotten how to do since the UAE (southee's average was **** in that series but he got important people out).

it's a bit annoying because he's got the ability and the durability to be #2 to Hadlee in the pace bowling career wickets column and looks like he's going to fall well short of his talent atm, but hey he might get spurred on. who knows.