• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do Bangladesh still deserve their minnows tag?

Do Bangers still deserve their Minnows tag?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

the big bambino

International Captain
In spin bowling they are amongst the best in the world and in Mustafizur they have a class seamer. They can bat now too and overall trend is on the upswing. Admittedly I maybe placing too much on their recent test win but they performed much better in SL than our lads and that can't be explained by anything other than skill. Outlook better for BD now than at any other time.

Athlai

Not Terrible
^ True. I think a BD-NZ series in BD now would be exciting. I remember a tight game a few years ago when Vettori saved the day. Those who are saying BD are not minnows anymore now didn't get the memo. They haven't been minnows for a while now.
Yeah right now I think we are a better team than then, but so are Bangers. Would love a 3 Test series there.

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
At the moment they are certainly on par with SL, as SL have regressed as quickly as BD have risen up. So it was the perfect storm - this series. Not taking anything away from BAN, mind.

Are they minnows - well certainly not in ODI's. I am pretty sure BAN will whoop our arses in the 3 ODI's. Specially now with confidence they've got..

But in Tests I think they need to at least do what SL's done over the last 5 years. A couple of away wins in ODI's and Tests will do them good.. I am noteven talking winning a full series..even winning a game or drawing it will be a huge deal in terms of getting rid of the minnows tag..

As I said in the Shakib thread - I think it all comes down to the next 12 months of cricket for them. They have tough tours away from home and their team performances are trending up..so if they can do themselves justice in the tours that are coming up..they will most certainly be better than SL, WI , ZIM.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok I understand they are on the rise but I'll fall short of rating them on part with Sri Lanka after 2 test wins. You need to achieve a bit more than that to be on par with a higher ranked test team.
Sri Lanka have beaten Australia 3-0 and lost 1-2 each to India and Pakistan. Bangladesh is yet to achieve anything close to that. And who knows if this was a 3 match series..could very well have been 2-1 in Sri Lanka's favour.

Sri Lanka are still a more experienced side with a legend like Herath still going strong. These things make a difference in how a team performs over a period of time.

This is not to take anything away from Bangladesh and I will be the last one to run them down but I think its a bit premature based on 2 test wins.

cnerd123

likes this
Ok I understand they are on the rise but I'll fall short of rating them on part with Sri Lanka after 2 test wins. You need to achieve a bit more than that to be on par with a higher ranked test team.
Sri Lanka have beaten Australia 3-0 and lost 1-2 each to India and Pakistan. Bangladesh is yet to achieve anything close to that. And who knows if this was a 3 match series..could very well have been 2-1 in Sri Lanka's favour.

Sri Lanka are still a more experienced side with a legend like Herath still going strong. These things make a difference in how a team performs over a period of time.

This is not to take anything away from Bangladesh and I will be the last one to run them down but I think its a bit premature based on 2 test wins.
You can say both - that BD are just as good as SL but not as consistent/don't have the track record/dont have the experience. Doesn't have to be one or the other

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yep not minnows anymore. They will get slapped in Eng/Aus/SA/NZ but they will compete in Asia. Eng/NZ get slapped in Asia, and Aus have up until this series so clearly being bad in one style of cricket can't term you a minnow.
Didn't they get slapped around like a red headed step child by India recently?

Burgey

You can say both - that BD are just as good as SL but not as consistent/don't have the track record/dont have the experience. Doesn't have to be one or the other
Bull****. If they aren't as consistent then they aren't as good. Otherwise Shaun Marsh is as good as Steve Smith.

cnerd123

likes this
Bull****. If they aren't as consistent then they aren't as good. Otherwise Shaun Marsh is as good as Steve Smith.
I wouldn't mind that actually. You could say Shaun Marsh is every bit as talented or good at batting as Steve Smith and still say he isn't disciplined or focused enough to have as good a career record, and that would be fine.

People do that all the time when talking about cricketers who don't achieve their potential. And likewise, BD are now a very good team who have yet to prove they can consistently play at this level. But atleast we know this level is within them now, as compared them just being **** period.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Didn't they get slapped around like a red headed step child by India recently?
Just 1 test match. They have demonstrated ability to come back from a defeat just like very other test team, even ones that get whitewashed 0-3 and bowled out for 85 at home

Burgey

Just 1 test match. They have demonstrated ability to come back from a defeat just like very other test team, even ones that get whitewashed 0-3 and bowled out for 85 at home
The thing is you're downplaying them losing "only one" test match but they "only win" a test match sporadically unless they're playing Zimbabwe, don't they?

TheJediBrah

The thing is you're downplaying them losing "only one" test match but they "only win" a test match sporadically unless they're playing Zimbabwe, don't they?
I assumed that's what he meant by "just 1 test match". They only won a single Test against non-Zimbabwe in history haven't they?

They lost, what, like 50? And most of them thrashings. So they didn't lose "Just 1 test match"

I'm confused