• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do Bangladesh still deserve their minnows tag?

Do Bangers still deserve their Minnows tag?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Athlai

Not Terrible
Can ignore this game seeing as they lost the toss.
:laugh:

Yeah ****s sake people, much better teams than Bangladesh have been trounced in India recently, unfortunately Bangers won't get another opportunity. A one off Test is so ****.

As if India dint have time to try give Kohli a triple century in their schedule.

Burner

International Regular
They've been in a good position many a times recently but then have also the plot in ludicrous fashion as well. I find that to be more disappointing than a team that just are not good enough and keep losing. Maybe they aren't mentally good enough anyway.

They are in a reasonably good position vs India now and I've seen enough of them to say that ****ing that up is going to be the first thing in their agenda come tomorrow morning.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
They have very talented players. They just need to get a better attitude towards cricket and better mental conditioning and stop treating everything so personally. Get Tamim in as captain, get Imrul v2 back in the side, make Mush**** their #4/#5 batsman and find a good keeper, let Mahmadullah be the #3, bat Shakib at 4 so that he can set the game up and bat more time, find a decent leg spinner and they will be extremely competitive everywhere and a threat to any side in their home conditions.

Imrul
Tamim (c)
Mahmadullah
Shakib
Mushfiqur
Mominul
Keeper (wk)
Mehedi
3 seamers away from SC / 2 seamers and a leggie hopefully in the SC

Would be a very good side with the right attitude.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
They have very talented players. They just need to get a better attitude towards cricket and better mental conditioning and stop treating everything so personally. Get Tamim in as captain, get Imrul v2 back in the side, make Mush**** their #4/#5 batsman and find a good keeper, let Mahmadullah be the #3, bat Shakib at 4 so that he can set the game up and bat more time, find a decent leg spinner and they will be extremely competitive everywhere and a threat to any side in their home conditions.

Imrul
Tamim (c)
Mahmadullah
Shakib
Mushfiqur
Mominul
Keeper (wk)
Mehedi
3 seamers away from SC / 2 seamers and a leggie hopefully in the SC

Would be a very good side with the right attitude.
Agree with all except Mullah. He looks to be mentally drained out.

Still a long way to go for BD. So I dont see a problem with minnow tag for now.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mullah hasn't been great at 4, so I'm not sure you want to bump him up to 3. There's even talk of dropping him down where he used to play a better role. I'd probably just take Sarkar over him for now and bat Sarkar 3 with Kayes/Tamim opening.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Minnow is a subjective term so invariably this argument will be about semantics. Are they a weaker top tier nation? Yes. Are they a minnow like the Netherlands are a minnow? No.

Bijed

International Regular
Minnow is a subjective term so invariably this argument will be about semantics. Are they a weaker top tier nation? Yes. Are they a minnow like the Netherlands are a minnow? No.
Hey, the Netherlands are no minnows, they've beaten England a couple of... wait, never mind

I agree with you, though. To me, Bangladesh are a bad test team (was hoping they'd go on and be much better after they beat us, but we'll possibly be the only top-seven team to lose to them for some time. Never mind, it's not really that bad), but they're not minnows anymore. The minnow Bangladesh of old could feasibly have lost the current test already.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think that a minnow is clearly a "substandard" side. Bangladesh aren't good, but they aren't completely substandard.

viriya

International Captain
Bangladesh haven't been true minnows since mid-2015. I place them slightly above WI in Tests right now.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Depends how you define "minnows". For me, the term implies a no-hoper, an easy-beat. They may have an odd test win but it is extremely rare. Bangladesh have ceased to be minnows based on this definition. And they have a rating above 400 in my team ratings system, so they are no longer minnows :-)

EDIT: having said that, they had better win their matches at home to Pakistan because it is more than likely they will lose away to Australia and South Africa. I can see their rating slipping below 400 again after those tours.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Yep not minnows anymore. They will get slapped in Eng/Aus/SA/NZ but they will compete in Asia. Eng/NZ get slapped in Asia, and Aus have up until this series so clearly being bad in one style of cricket can't term you a minnow.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yep not minnows anymore. They will get slapped in Eng/Aus/SA/NZ but they will compete in Asia. Eng/NZ get slapped in Asia, and Aus have up until this series so clearly being bad in one style of cricket can't term you a minnow.
TBF I think we've only lost to India when in Asia in the last 5 years? Drawn against Pakistan/SL/Bangers in our most recent tours. Definitely think we get slapped more in Aus/SA than Asia.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
^ True. I think a BD-NZ series in BD now would be exciting. I remember a tight game a few years ago when Vettori saved the day. Those who are saying BD are not minnows anymore now didn't get the memo. They haven't been minnows for a while now.