View Poll Results: Do Bangers still deserve their Minnows tag?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - they still deserve the minnows tag

    6 24.00%
  • No - they no longer do

    13 52.00%
  • I'm on the fence, let me get back to you

    6 24.00%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 86
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Do Bangladesh still deserve their minnows tag?

  1. #16
    Hall of Fame Member Shri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    16,847
    Still minnows but they are getting smart finally. They should have taken their chances by preparing raging turners at home from the beginning to build some confidence. Better late than never but I dislike the team.
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    "Still waiting for bole trekking Marayyye". Keep Kumar up in the third umpires box please,its hilarious. Him almost screwing up a DRS referral a definite highlight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Ashwin is like one of those paintings whose eye always follows you around the room. He'd be hell in a court room. The judge and the witness would always think he's lookong at both of them at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    You are basically saying he would have made an amazing lawyer. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    No im saying he's partly cross-eyed.

  2. #17
    International Regular SeamUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    3,403
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    A Sri Lanka-Bangladesh home and away series would be pretty competitive right now, IMO.
    I would say both have quite a few players with potential and an up-side than Pakistan right now ?
    LILLEE c WILLEY b DILLEY

  3. #18
    International Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    3,619
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Are Pakistan minnows? We beat them comfortably while playing some very average cricket. We'd likely do the same to Sri Lanka. We'd probably be favourite to beat India at home too.
    I know you're being facetious when you ask if Pakistan are minnows less than 12 months after they were world No.1. Not at all the same.

    What's Bangladesh's highest world ranking, it's 8 right? So yeah, they're still a minnow. Won two Tests away v West Indies 8 years ago, and one solitary one v England. Don't see how that launches you out of the minnow zone. And their slightly more impressive ODI/T20 record doesn't recover it.

  4. #19
    International Coach Bahnz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Wigton Unzud
    Posts
    12,184
    If Bangladesh are minnows then I would say that both Sri Lanka and Pakistan are minnows too.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.


  5. #20
    Hall of Fame Member Shri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    16,847
    If the 2007 WC had had the KO stage after the group stage, it would have done wonders for Bangladeshi cricket.

  6. #21
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Zinzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cover point
    Posts
    23,931
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    If Bangladesh are minnows then I would say that both Sri Lanka and Pakistan are minnows too.
    I don't follow your logic there. Following on what Steve was saying, Pakistan were not a minnow coming into this tour, but they did play abysmally, whereas Bangers have been a minnow forever now, and admittedly finally got a Test win at home that wasn't the Windies, so were suddenly a little bullish coming into this series. The fact they were whitewashed 7-0 in spite of playing some competitive cricket at times, didn't push their case at all.

    If you're going to claim Pakistan are a minnow for their 2-0 defeat to NZ, by the same logic, you'd have to say Australia were too for losing 3-0 to SL.

    Surely you can see the difference, Bangers needed to be impressive to drop the tag, Paksistan who were no.1 ranked side in the world 5 months ago did not.

  7. #22
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Elton Chicken Burrah
    Posts
    21,679
    I don't think they're minnows because most of the members of the team clearly are test standard, and a couple like tamim and Shakib can genuinely be considered in the top 5 or so in the world for their disciplines.

    At the same time, I don't think they're as good as Sri Lanka, and certainly not Pakistan. They're still the worst team in the world, along with the windies.
    vcs likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Wow baby, that gave me an orgasmic pleasure!
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaagarkarajaaja View Post
    All Prasie to Ajit Bhalchandra Agarkar, the pride of Mumbai, the terminator at Adelaide.
    Quote Originally Posted by VoL View Post
    I've joined this forum, just so that i can agree with OverratedSanity...

  8. #23
    International Coach Bahnz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Wigton Unzud
    Posts
    12,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinzan View Post
    I don't follow your logic there. Following on what Steve was saying, Pakistan were not a minnow coming into this tour, but they did play abysmally, whereas Bangers have been a minnow forever now, and admittedly finally got a Test win at home that wasn't the Windies, so were suddenly a little bullish coming into this series. The fact they were whitewashed 7-0 in spite of playing some competitive cricket at times, didn't push their case at all.

    If you're going to claim Pakistan are a minnow for their 2-0 defeat to NZ, by the same logic, you'd have to say Australia were too for losing 3-0 to SL.

    Surely you can see the difference, Bangers needed to be impressive to drop the tag, Paksistan who were no.1 ranked side in the world 5 months ago did not.
    I don't think Pakistan are minnows, or Australia. Or Bangladesh. I don't think historical record has anything to do with a teams minnow status or lack thereof. Bangladesh for the last couple of years have clearly been playing at a level above minnow status. Their abysmal performance on this NZ tour is no better or worse than Pakistan's abysmal performance - including their LO tour of NZ last year, they went 0-6 on their tour of NZ. And Bangladesh's strong recent showings against England and South Africa - even more so given how little test cricket they get to play.
    Last edited by Bahnz; 24-01-2017 at 12:34 AM.

  9. #24
    BARNES OUT dontcloseyoureyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    CW BLACK
    Posts
    30,568
    This whole thread is predicated on how you define the term 'minnows' in a test cricketing context. It is pointless.
    Daemon, NZTailender and Prince EWS like this.

    THE SEASONS BRING RELIEF. JUST LET ME LIVE AND DIE IN PEACE

  10. #25
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Zinzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cover point
    Posts
    23,931
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    I don't think Pakistan are minnows, or Australia. Or Bangladesh. I don't think historical record has anything to do with a teams minnow status or lack thereof. Bangladesh for the last couple of years have clearly been playing at a level above minnow status. Their abysmal performance on this NZ tour is no better or worse than Pakistan's abysmal performance - including their LO tour of NZ last year, they went 0-6 on their tour of NZ. And their strong recent showings against England and South Africa - even more so given how little test cricket they get to play.
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    I don't think they're minnows because most of the members of the team clearly are test standard, and a couple like tamim and Shakib can genuinely be considered in the top 5 or so in the world for their disciplines.

    At the same time, I don't think they're as good as Sri Lanka, and certainly not Pakistan. They're still the worst team in the world, along with the windies.
    Yeah, so it really comes down to how we all individually define "minnows". That's fair enough I suppose, I'm currently on the fence but leaning towards them still being minnows. But if they travel well in the short term that may change.

  11. #26
    International Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    3,619
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    I don't think they're minnows because most of the members of the team clearly are test standard, and a couple like tamim and Shakib can genuinely be considered in the top 5 or so in the world for their disciplines.

    At the same time, I don't think they're as good as Sri Lanka, and certainly not Pakistan. They're still the worst team in the world, along with the windies.
    I hear what you're saying, and talent wise I agree. Obviously Tamim averages the best part of 40 which makes him a Test class opener, Shakib speaks for himself, Mominul looks the goods, and there's some ability there.

    But I think they're minnows because of their mental weaknesses, and tha's as relevant as talent level. Pakistan have credit in the bank. Bangladesh have never earned that for any stretch of time.

    They need stronger leaders. Sri Lanka pulled themselves out of the pit on the back of strong leaders like Ranatunga in particular, who demanded standards and wasn't prepared to back down or put up with **** from anyone. Bangladesh's leaders were arguably the deliverers of the most embarrasment on this tour (Shakib 2nd innings in 1st Test, plus his piss poor body language in the 4th innings; Tamim's shot selection; Imrul's whole tour really)
    OverratedSanity likes this.

  12. #27
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Zinzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cover point
    Posts
    23,931
    Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    This whole thread is predicated on how you define the term 'minnows' in a test cricketing context. It is pointless.
    Yup, beat me to it.

  13. #28
    International Coach Bahnz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Wigton Unzud
    Posts
    12,184
    Yeah, I think if you rephrase the question as a more concrete "Do Bangladesh deserve to be playing test cricket" then the answer would be a pretty convincing win for yes.

  14. #29
    vcs
    vcs is offline
    International Coach vcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    14,488
    Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    I would say both have quite a few players with potential and an up-side than Pakistan right now ?
    Pakistan have a fairly big rebuilding job. I think they will have to replace Younis, Misbah, Wahab and find a decent opening ball partner for Amir and one for Azhar with the bat. Also more competition for Shafiq and Sarfraz's spots would help as they aren't exactly setting the world on fire.

    Their ODI/T20 team is around a decade behind other top teams in terms of approach and mentality, so that's a different challenge altogether.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

  15. #30
    State Captain Shady Slim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,970
    depends on what you define a minnow as

    some use the term as another name for the associates, others just for teams they generally find bad - minnow bashing as a strict test term follows with the latter, people using the term when discussing the desert tournament just then probably the former
    Shady's XI:
    M Vijay || D Elgar || KS Williamson || LD Chandimal (wk) || Misbah-ul-Haq || F du Plessis || MM Ali || VD Philander || TG Southee || HMRKB Herath || JR Hazlewood

    #FeelTheVern

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Do Bangladesh deserve Test Status
    By jashan83 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 133
    Last Post: 24-12-2011, 04:46 AM
  2. Replies: 78
    Last Post: 19-04-2007, 02:58 PM
  3. Do Bangladesh Deserve Test Status?
    By Neil Pickup in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 13-11-2003, 09:27 AM
  4. I Deserve A Medal :)
    By Cloete in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 20-04-2003, 06:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •