• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mitchell Santner -Test career averages predictions

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think he's a reasonably promising Test prospect, but a bit of a poor mans Daniel Vettori overall.

Like Vettori, he won't often bowl in conditions that will suit and will often be used to tie up an end and allow the quickies to remain fresh, but will probably warrant his place in the side unless a better all-rounder comes along.

Vettori ended up after a 13-14 year career averaging 30 with bat & about 34 with ball.

I predict Santner to finish up averaging around 26 with bat & 37 with ball.

veganbob

U19 Captain
I dont think he should even be in the test squad. Pick a proper spinner instead. He is bits and pieces.

Anyway ill say 23 with bat and 42 with ball.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I dont think he should even be in the test squad. Pick a proper spinner instead. He is bits and pieces.

Anyway ill say 23 with bat and 42 with ball.
I'm not the biggest fan of Santner as a test cricketer, but who would you suggest replaces him? The "proper spinners" of New Zealand cricket have proven to be either run-leaking liabilities (e.g. Craig, Sodhi) or largely ineffectual without offering as much as Santner does with the bat (e.g. Jeets).

Zinzan

Santner isn't a big wicket taker, but does provide control. Has a Test ER of 2.95, that's no mean feat these days.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Santner isn't a big wicket taker, but does provide control. Has a Test ER of 2.95, that's no mean feat these days.
yeah he appears to provide legit control and not 'control' as in 'the bloke doesn't look like a wicket taking threat so lets just call him a control bowler despite getting flogged at 4 rpo'.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Think 32 with the ball sounds about right coz he might be seen as the release option in home tests and 4 of his away countries will favor spin bowling more often than not, 5 if you include the Windies. So its reasonable to expect him to average 32 overall with the ball I feel. And he is decent enough with the bat to average that much as he often seems to get an opportunity to bat at 6 or 7 and I would assume he will do that more as his career progresses.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
a 32 career average with the ball? absolutely no way in hell does he achieve those numbers.

someone like herath wouldn't achieve those numbers had he been born a kiwi.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
He will have a better test career than Marsh, Swepson and McClenaghan. He will have a worse test career than Johnson and Starc.

Zinzan

Think 32 with the ball sounds about right coz he might be seen as the release option in home tests and 4 of his away countries will favor spin bowling more often than not, 5 if you include the Windies. So its reasonable to expect him to average 32 overall with the ball I feel. And he is decent enough with the bat to average that much as he often seems to get an opportunity to bat at 6 or 7 and I would assume he will do that more as his career progresses.
Do remember Vettori averaged 34 across his career & Harbhajan was around 33 IIRC. He's not near as threatening as either of those two.

Flem274*

123/5
30-35 with the bat (especially if he remains at #8), 38-40 with the ball

in limited overs he'll have more bowling success but at the expense of his batting average.