• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The most lowly thought of players with truly gun performances.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
i feel like no-one really remembers that colin miller was an actual australian test player of the year
Venkateh Prasad topped the chart for test wickets in 1996 and also won CEAT cricketer of the year award edging out everyone (Akram, Tendulkar etc.). He turned into a very, very good bowler for 6 odd months. His best ever ICC test bowling ranking though is #21 which is about right.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Butcher's 173not is a decent shout but I'm fairly sure people were saying he had big things ahead when he played his first Test in '93 so it's perhaps not the performance of a guy who wasn't rated but had a day out. Probably Dave Callaghan's 1fiddy had the biggest differential between rating and performance on a day with the bat with Malcolm's the biggest I saw with the ball. Paul Strang vs NZ's strongest batting side ever in '00 a very close second.

Greg Blewett's 214 against South Africa in what was a huge series at the time, set up the series along with Steve Waugh. Plus his two centuries in his first two Tests - he was an enigma, his best was so good. And a pair of 99s... (favourite player when young, so sorry for the overload of Blewy love).
No need to apologise, my friend.

Last edited:

Daemon

poor technique and needs to work on his fitness. hour or two in the gym wouldn't hurt.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Butcher's 173not is a decent shout but I'm fairly sure people were saying he had big things ahead when he played his first Test in '93 so it's perhaps not the performance of a guy who wasn't rated but had a day out. Probably Dave Callaghan's 1fiddy had the biggest differential between rating and performance on a day with the bat with Malcolm's the biggest I saw with the ball. Paul Strang vs NZ's strongest batting side ever in '00 a very close second.

No need to apologise, my friend.
he played his first test in '97

OverratedSanity

Pretty sure hardly any non-indians here will remember Hemang Badani. Elegant left hander who didn't have a huge career, but played this classy innings. If anyone hasn't checked it out, do it. It's majestic.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The debut/early-career performances shouldn't count for the purpose of this thread imo. There is too much mystery and one-offishness there. It should be more about performances from relatively established cricketers who weren't rated high. Would be hard pressed to define it, but I think you know when you see it. Agarkar in Adelaide spectacular nominee.

Burner

International Regular
I must confess I knew Shakib was a good batsman but didn't quite think he was 'a double century in NZ' good.