• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup win vs Away series wins

What would you personally prefer?

• Winning the world cup

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Two important away series wins

Votes: 8 50.0%

• Total voters

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You always do......but for those that maybe aren't quite up to speed would you mind elaborating? I just think cricket is a pretty unique sport given the 3 formats and the duration of a test match......which renders a test world cup logistically impossible. So I don't get how you can draw any comparisons with world cups from any other sport.

But I'm all ears if there is something I'm missing.
The fact that a "World Cup" is a meaningful peak in so many sports enhances its value, particularly its perception, in the sport of cricket. How it relates to other forms of cricket and all the rest of what you've been talking back is irrelevant to that.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah, not buying that.........and I don't give a crap about "perception".

This is hard as I don't want to diss the ODI and T20 fans, but I think it's fair to say that for "serious" followers of the game, like most of us on here.......test cricket still reigns supreme. The fact that we can't have a test World Cup automatically renders the ODI WC a bit of a compromise. If there was such a thing as a WC for the premier format then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

But given all this, and to go back to your original point...it is hardly surprising that for plenty of people this is not a straightforward answer.

TheJediBrah

Nah, not buying that.........and I don't give a crap about "perception".

This is hard as I don't want to diss the ODI and T20 fans, but I think it's fair to say that for "serious" followers of the game, like most of us on here.......test cricket still reigns supreme. The fact that we can't have a test World Cup automatically renders the ODI WC a bit of a compromise. If there was such a thing as a WC for the premier format then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

But given all this, and to go back to your original point...it is hardly surprising that for plenty of people this is not a straightforward answer.
haven't followed your line of thinking here at all tbh. Not sure how you can be "not buying" something that is a plain and simple fact.

And if it wasn't obvious my original post shouldn't be taken 100% literally. Of course people are going to have different priorities.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Hi and welcome to cricketweb.......you'll find the vast majority of members here see test cricket as the ultimate form of the game and favour it over the shorter formats.........even a ODI World Cup.

But seriously, what's so hard to believe? I'm the same as most others here........the answer to this question really depends on your teams history. Personally I would take a World cup win over any single test series because of Englands pretty embarrasing record at these events..........but had we have won one in the last 10-15 years I'd probably rate a test series win in India , Australia or the UAE higher.

TBH, given how successful Australia has been in World Cups I'm surprised you wouldn't rate a test series win in England or India higher.
...and the fact that Australia have not won a series in England since 2001!!

2004/5 for India but that is the only win since 1969/70 - indeed, the pickings have been rare.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I mean they've won 3 World Cups since they last won an Ashes in England..........5 of the ****ing things for 1 test win in India. If I were an Aussie fan (and praise be to God that I am not) I know what would mean more to me right now.

But I guess this is a very subjective thing and if TJB rates the WC higher that's up to him.......just can't see how he can be surprised that others see it very different.

TheJediBrah

Yeah, I mean they've won 3 World Cups since they last won an Ashes in England..........5 of the ****ing things for 1 test win in India. If I were an Aussie fan (and praise be to God that I am not) I know what would mean more to me right now.

But I guess this is a very subjective thing and if TJB rates the WC higher that's up to him.......just can't see how he can be surprised that others see it very different.
I'd be pretty comfortable in saying that the average semi-casual cricket fan in Australia isn't too interested in what happens in India or Pakistan or any of those places compared to even smaller scale series that happen in Australia, let alone an event like the World Cup.

Obviously different for more serious cricket fans though. But if you gave me the option of either Australia winning their next 2 Test series in India or winning the next World Cup I'd go the world cup every time, regardless of history.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I'd be pretty comfortable in saying that the average semi-casual cricket fan in Australia isn't too interested in what happens in India or Pakistan or any of those places compared to even smaller scale series that happen in Australia, let alone an event like the World Cup.

Obviously different for more serious cricket fans though. But if you gave me the option of either Australia winning their next 2 Test series in India or winning the next World Cup I'd go the world cup every time, regardless of history.
I find that really strange as, which ever team wins in India as things stand right now is basically ''the best team in the world''. It is pretty much unanimous that the hardest thing to do in world cricket right now is to go to India and prevail.

Daemon

Hardest thing is a test series win in Singapore imo. No one has done it before.