• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup win vs Away series wins

What would you personally prefer?

• Winning the world cup

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Two important away series wins

Votes: 8 50.0%

• Total voters

CapeTown Guy

School Boy/Girl Captain
As a Saffer, the World Cup by a long way.

We've already won Test series in all countries over the last 20 years, in most cases, on multiple occasions.

A World Cup win in 2019 would be worth far more to us as supporters than another series win in England, Australia or India.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
At this point I'd say World Cup. I think England have beaten everyone away in a Test series this century except Sri Lanka so although more away success would be nice we've been relatively spoiled this century. Whereas every single World Cup performance since I've started watching cricket in 1999 has been an embarassment.
england won away in sri lanka in 2001 under hussain.

Dendarii

International Debutant
As a Saffer, the World Cup by a long way.

We've already won Test series in all countries over the last 20 years, in most cases, on multiple occasions.

A World Cup win in 2019 would be worth far more to us as supporters than another series win in England, Australia or India.
I'd agree with that, and I'd also say that winning a series in India probably ranks below winning in Australia and England. Not that we wouldn't want to win a series there, especially after last time, but Australia and England are the greater prizes, with Australia possibly being ahead of England.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have a hard time believing that many people at all would rate anything ahead of a World Cup win.

Assuming we're talking about the actual World Cup not the "World T20" or whatever they call it these days

ImpatientLime

International Regular
its all relative really.

i imagine fans from nations like india or pakistan who have never won a test series in australia but have won the world cup may prefer the series win.

Gob

International Coach
As an Aussie, I've had a good fill of Ashes wins and world cup wins. India?...just one fluke win. I'd take beating India in India, and the expected home win against India, over a world cup. This means for four years I could use this to troll 1 billion people. I don't think anywhere near 1 billion people get annoyed when Australia win a world cup as they are kind of half expected to anyways. But beating India in their fortress.... That would annoy a billion people for four years, and perhaps longer, because I could dredge it up, even after India won it back, for double troll points. I'd imagine the same would apply for Indians in reverse, but they only get to piss off 20 million people.
It wasn't though

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I have a hard time believing that many people at all would rate anything ahead of a World Cup win.

Assuming we're talking about the actual World Cup not the "World T20" or whatever they call it these days
I simply see Test cricket as the pinnacle of the sport. It shouldn't be surprising at all.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
From a NZ point of view, we've won a Test series in Australia so WC for me.
If this hadn't been in your time of watching (e.g. you were younger, or it happened back in the 1960s) would this change your opinion, or is the fact that it has been done - even if you didn't get to watch it - still enough to prioritise a World Cup?

Daemon

Definitely rate a win in England, SA or Australia higher. Maybe if we lost in 2011 I would think twice.

OverratedSanity

If this hadn't been in your time of watching (e.g. you were younger, or it happened back in the 1960s) would this change your opinion, or is the fact that it has been done - even if you didn't get to watch it - still enough to prioritise a World Cup?
I think this is pretty true for most people. Back in 2010-11, if someone had asked me what I wanted India to win more, the answer would've been without a doubt, the WC. 1983 was so long ago that an entire generation had only heard about that from their parents. Now after India have won it, I don't care whether they do win it quite as much. I'd much rather they break new ground by winning in SA/Aus.

ghaikabaap

Cricket Spectator
I suppose ABD's decision to skip Tests to focus exclusively on winning the world cup has prompted me to ponder on this..

What is it that matters more to the cricketing public of the respective countries if there was a choice between winning the world cup and winning important series away from home?

Australian cricketing public-
World Cup or series win in England (or India)

English cricketing public-
WC or Ashes win in Australia

perhaps one series win away from home isn't enough so what if there were two series wins away from home?
Ashes + winning in India vs World Cup win

Indian cricketing public-
WC or series win in Australia and England

South African cricketing public-
WC or series win in Aus, Eng and India

New Zealand cricketing public-
WC or series win in Australia and England

And also what would you prefer personally? And what series win(s) would you take over a world cup win?

As a Indian cricket fan, I believe Indian public would not take anything over a world cup win, even most of the cricketing experts wouldn't.
Personally, I would take series win Australia & England over winning the world cup, only because the latter was achieved not long ago.
I like question but you think cricket is not played in West Indies and Pakistan?

And world cup is not in tests so why difference between the two?

Slifer

International Captain
Seeing that I'm probably one of the only west Indians here and nobody cares about WI cricket (understandably), I'd say most people from the Caribbean would favor a WC win. The cricketing aficionados like myself, would prefer to see a series win anywhere vs anyone but particularly the likes of ENG, Oz, India or RSA.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year

Hi and welcome to cricketweb.......you'll find the vast majority of members here see test cricket as the ultimate form of the game and favour it over the shorter formats.........even a ODI World Cup.

But seriously, what's so hard to believe? I'm the same as most others here........the answer to this question really depends on your teams history. Personally I would take a World cup win over any single test series because of Englands pretty embarrasing record at these events..........but had we have won one in the last 10-15 years I'd probably rate a test series win in India , Australia or the UAE higher.

TBH, given how successful Australia has been in World Cups I'm surprised you wouldn't rate a test series win in England or India higher.

TheJediBrah

Hi and welcome to cricketweb.......you'll find the vast majority of members here see test cricket as the ultimate form of the game and favour it over the shorter formats.........even a ODI World Cup.

But seriously, what's so hard to believe? I'm the same as most others here........the answer to this question really depends on your teams history. Personally I would take a World cup win over any single test series because of Englands pretty embarrasing record at these events..........but had we have won one in the last 10-15 years I'd probably rate a test series win in India , Australia or the UAE higher.

TBH, given how successful Australia has been in World Cups I'm surprised you wouldn't rate a test series win in England or India higher.
World Cup is the World Cup. So many sports have "the World Cup", it transends cricket.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Never mind the typo......I got no idea what he is even saying there???

Just because the FIFA World Cup is the biggest sporting event on the planet, that does not mean that every sports "World Cup" is equally prestigious...........even within that sport.

TheJediBrah

Never mind the typo......I got no idea what he is even saying there???

Just because the FIFA World Cup is the biggest sporting event on the planet, that does not mean that every sports "World Cup" is equally prestigious...........even within that sport.
I honestly thought it was pretty obvious

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
You always do......but for those that maybe aren't quite up to speed would you mind elaborating? I just think cricket is a pretty unique sport given the 3 formats and the duration of a test match......which renders a test world cup logistically impossible. So I don't get how you can draw any comparisons with world cups from any other sport.

But I'm all ears if there is something I'm missing.