• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup win vs Away series wins

What would you personally prefer?

• Winning the world cup

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Two important away series wins

Votes: 8 50.0%

• Total voters

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
i've been fortunate enough to see england win in pretty much every test playing nation bar zimbabwe since the turn of the century so a world cup win would be nice.

in terms of favourite away wins....

australia 10/11
india 12/13
pakistan 00
south africa 05
sri lanka 01
Yup but how about winning in Aus, India and SA ..vs winning the world cup
Surely you would prefer beating all 3 away next time around vs winning WC in 2019? Or maybe not?

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Yup but how about winning in Aus, India and SA ..vs winning the world cup
Surely you would prefer beating all 3 away next time around vs winning WC in 2019? Or maybe not?
would probably still just about take the world cup win seen as its something i've personally never seen us get near.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Before 2015 WC I thought the WC has gone down a bit in the popularity list with all those T20 WCs happening every 2 weeks, but the reaction of Proteas and Dhoni in Semis made me realize that it still matters big time to most teams.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, the Streak is almost sacred at this point.
Although beating Pakistan in 2019 wc group game is almost necessary, I'd still take going on to win that world cup over losing the streak.
Nothing would annoy Pakistani fans more than India going on to win yet another world cup

But most people would probably differ with me on this

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I'm more of a Test cricket aficionado so I chose the Tests, however, admittedly it would be nice to remove England's habitual ''world cup runners-up record'' and finally clinch the bloody thing.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Although beating Pakistan in 2019 wc group game is almost necessary, I'd still take going on to win that world cup over losing the streak.
Nothing would annoy Pakistani fans more than India going on to win yet another world cup

But most people would probably differ with me on this
Woah, Woah Woah!

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. First you win a world cup. Then you win another world cup. To earn the right to use the world "yet" in front of another you have to win them a bit too often for most people's liking. i.e. you have to be Australia..

Chrish

International Debutant
Let's not be silly.. WC triumphs everything else!

And strictly speaking from importance point of view, other than purists not many fans give a damn about tests while WC win would inspire generations to come (reality whether you like it or not).

Still remember reading comments on the other forum about how it would be awesome for NZ to win the last WC since it would help grow the sport so much over there etc.

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

And strictly speaking from importance point of view, other than purists not many fans give a damn about tests while WC win would inspire generations to come (reality whether you like it or not).

Still remember reading comments on the other forum about how it would be awesome for NZ to win the last WC since it would help grow the sport so much over there etc.
Totally disagree.

Chrish

International Debutant
If the choice is between not loosing away series for a decade like SA recently did vs WC, then yeah the former but trading WC for two away series wins ?

NO THANKS !!!

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't expect us to win anything. As long as India compete reasonably well, and our cricket doesn't go the same way as WI, I'll remain interested. I don't think there's much danger of that happening because I think the game is in a decent state here (despite the administrators' best efforts).

As to what I'd prefer to win, yeah a series win away in Eng/SA/Aus would be great, as would a WC. I'd probably prefer the former, given the choice.

Saying that, nothing in my lifetime will ever come close to topping 2001. Beating that Australian side, from that position.. we're lucky we got to experience that. If only I'd been at the ground in Kolkata or Chennai on day 5, I'd probably never stop boring people about it.

vcs

So one sole away series win (in either Aus or SA) would be enough for you to give up on the WC?
Personally I would never take that. And especially not over a win in SA, because 1) it's not as big a series popularity wise, few notice it, and rivalry isn't quite there. 2) In the near future I don't expect them to be anywhere as strong a team as they have been in recent times (due to their internal issues). So Im confident of series win(s) there in yrs to come lol. So I'd take the WC
Did you see the pitches they put out for SL recently? It's pretty safe to say they'll make every attempt to ensure that Ashwin/Jadeja won't be in the game (good on them).

mackembhoy

International Debutant

Not in the UK.

Any cricket fan here would tell you Ashes are more important than everything else. I'd have rather we'd won in India than the winning the world cup.

I avoided watching England playing white ball cricket until 2015, so it's never been a priority. Very enjoyable now.

But England being number 1 test side and winning every series is first and foremost.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

It's so difficult to win in SA and Australia for teams like ours. In 2011, we had basically our entire batting lineup in peak form, and in the first time in ages, we had a pacer in Zaheer who was bowling at a genuinely world class level. And we still couldn't win. Unless one of our quick bowlers gets to that level of performance (which is probably not going to happen), there's no chance.

S.Kennedy

For Englishmen nothing tops the Ashes. To lose the Ashes is a collosal failure, a national disaster, and to win them is a towering achievement. It is about pride. Pride and history.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
as an englishman nothing bores me more than this countries obsession with the ashes and how we disrespectfully treat every other series as a warm up to the ashes.

OverratedSanity

as an englishman nothing bores me more than this countries obsession with the ashes and how we disrespectfully treat every other series as a warm up to the ashes.
Australia do this more than England don't they? Atleast it looks like that to me from the outside.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Australia do this more than England don't they? Atleast it looks like that to me from the outside.
nah ever since the ashes became less of a walk over every year for australia and 'hometeamwinslol' both nations have become guilty of becoming way too ashes centric.

ooooooo will cook be captain in time for the ashes?

who gives a ****? all i care about is who will be captain v the west indies.

S.Kennedy

I cannot agree. Firstly, I love the Ashes, the cricket, the controversies. Even when it is a poor Ashes like 2013 or an un-competative white wash, there is usually something exiting there. Secondly I think most people recognise that India away is a more difficult proposition than the Ashes - even an away Ashes - and indeed there was a lot of hype ahead of this recent Indian series. South Africa usually generates a fair amount of interest also.

S.Kennedy

Windies haha?

I would be interested as would most in England if it wasn't the West Indian 3rd eleven we will be playing!